Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm in the right forum for this. I have a theoretical question for those with more experience using unlocked phones than I.

I currently have a Nokia N95 8Gb with Rogers. My plan is the old "Vision Plan", which gives me unlimited web browsing. Lately, I've been thinking of moving to the Nokia N97 Mini. The problem is that smartphones like the N95 and N97 can no longer be signed up under my current plan. I'd have to take a plan that would cost me an extra $15 per month due to changes in how they bill for data usage.

So, my question: let's say I find an unlocked N97, or even an unlocked GSM Blackberry, that is compatible with the Rogers 3G network. If I use that device for data, will Rogers go by my SIM card and ignore me, or will it detect that I'm not using my N95 and charge me a ludicrous amount for the data usage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do believe that web browsing and data are considered two different things by the cell providers. Afaik the web browsing that you have access to is through a sort of "portal" and isn't considered data. There's "mobile browsing" and there's data.

You should be able to pickup a different phone & use it although you'll want to ensure you have everything set to access their web portal to use their mobile browsing only - not data.

I'm sure my explanation isn't that great so it's probably best that you stop by a Roger's store & ask LOTS of questions....that's what they're there for!

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
^^^^
That depends on the type of phone you have. In past years, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) were common and required special servers etc. Some phones also emulated a dial up telephone modem. With smart phones, it's all just data.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The unlimited mobile browsing option will not work with the N97 as it is classified as a smartphone. You would have to get a 'real' data plan for browsing support on the N97.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
7-11 speak eazy is a different company than rogers, they have different way of operating things, just like if it works on bell does not mean it will work on rogers, regardless if they use the same towers or broadcast network.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Maybe, but I know it's also been done with Rogers on a few phones. Some work, some don't. Rogers does IMEI filter, but it won't always catch your phone, particularly if you're using a non-Rogers device. It's risky because they might charge you anyway without warning you, and most things don't work, but it can be done.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it because even if you can make it work the experience will be poor and it probably violates the ToS.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
^^^^
After I got my Nexus One and before I arranged a data plan, I asked Rogers to put a block on data for my phone, so I wouldn't get any surprises on my bill.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not necessarily. I've successfully used the 2G WAP browsing add-on for the 7-11 Speakout pre-paid SIMs in my Nexus One.
I've been toying with the idea of doing this with my N1 - any comments about your experience (how is the speed, do all your data-dependent apps work if you're connected to 2G, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
WAP browsing is slow but not unusable for mobile sites. Full sites heavy on graphics are pretty much out of the equation. None of my apps seemed to work, but I could access mobile email sites.

You also need to manually enter the SpeakOut APN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts