Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking for a new cell phone. My current provider is Fido. Am I limited to the phones that are shown om Fido's website or is there a way to make other phones compatible with my existing sim card?

thanx in advance

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

I believe that you can look for any phone that is compatible with Rogers/Fido which I believe is GSM...and buy it, but you must make sure that it is unlocked so that you can remove your existing sim card and then install it in the phone that you bought.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
With Fido and/or Rogers you can use any unlocked GSM phone. I had a buddy buy an unlocked Treo about a year before Rogers officially offered it. Worked fine.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Any unlocked GSM phone will do, as long as it operates in the 1900MHz frequency (GSM 1900), which is the standard that Rogers/Fido use.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just know that your sim card will only allow you to make calls with the new unlocked phone. If you want to do any thing beyond that you'll have to configure it your self. There are lots of good sites out there that will help you with it. One other thing you should know is Fido wont give you the good rates for surfing if you don't buy the phone from them.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
For best results in north america buy a 850mhz & 1900mhz gsm phone.

Usually called a tri or quad band phone.

The 850mhz has been around for the past 5 years and is much better indoors and under ground. The 1900mhz once you go indoor reception drops thats was why they came out with 850mhz.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the response.
I am not sure what you mean Coop when you say the unlocked phone will only be able to be used to make calls?

Do you mean it will not be able to connect to the web or to text?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I think he means web surfing, etc.

I only buy unlocked GSM phones. Works fine as a phone. I also use it for SMS messages without any issues.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Newuser, what Coop means is that recent cell phone features go hand in hand with SIM card features. This means that if you unlock a 6 year old Fido phone and buy a current T-mobile SIM card, your phone will only support the features it was originally designed for, and maybe not all the ones currently supported by a T-mobile SIM card installed in a state-of-the-art T-mobile phone. As James99 says, you can always receive and make calls, any other features will depend on the unlocked phone's 'generation'.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well, as luck would have it I was getting out of the car and forgot the phone was in my lap. Now it won't turn on (a Nokia 2610, only 4 months old). Longer-term I wanted to upgrade anyway, but short-term I'm without a cell phone. Is there a place I can get a decnt, cheap unlocked GSM and get it quickly? Lots of LG1300s on eBay for $10 (but shipping is high and will take a while).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well, as luck would have it I was getting out of the car and forgot the phone was in my lap. Now it won't turn on (a Nokia 2610, only 4 months old). Longer-term I wanted to upgrade anyway, but short-term I'm without a cell phone. Is there a place I can get a decnt, cheap unlocked GSM and get it quickly? Lots of LG1300s on eBay for $10 (but shipping is high and will take a while).
You could try your local classified adds. You could also try ********* or craigslist. You will be able to find something local to you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I buy my unlocked phones off of ebay or craigslist. If you want one fairly quick, you could go to an electronics place or flea market, they always have used, unlocked phones. cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts