Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DH members,

I'm looking for some information on unlocked Blackberry's versus carrier locked.

While researching used BB's, I was told by someone that unlocked phones don't work as well as locked phones (on the Big 3 networks). The reasoning I was given was that the locked phones have software installed on them by the carrier (i.e. like Bell or Telus specific ROM) that makes the phone 'run better' on their network. When you unlock a phone, the phone is reset back to factory default and this software is removed. The phone will still work fine, but not as well (i.e. data and email push might be slower or have issues sometimes).

When I heard this, I was quite skeptical at first. This info was from someone who supposedly knowledgeable in mobile phones and was not biased towards any of the carriers.

Can someone who is knowledgeable on this technology dispel this myth or shed some light on the truth?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
There shouldn't be any issue using an unlocked BlackBerry on any of the big 3 Canadian networks. While it's true that the carriers will typically install extra applications and such, things such as push e-mail and reception should not be any different between a carrier-locked and unlocked device.

As long as you get a device that supports the right frequencies (HSPA 850MHz & 1900MHz for Bell/Telus, and GSM/HSPA 850MHz & 1900MHz for Rogers) then you should be all set.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
when using an unlocked BB on fido, well i shouldnt say unlocked, i should say non-fido bb, my phone will be constantly roaming. if i use the fido branded one, its not, and my mms will work properly and any fido specific icons are pushed to the bb like fido my account, fido boutique/shop, etc...

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Sometimes Blackberrys come with very minor differences in the radio that are tweaked to work with a specific carrier. However, you will likely never notice a difference and even if you did you could always flash another carrier's ROM onto it.

As far as functionality goes you will likely never notice a difference. My girlfriend has an unlocked Telus Bold 9700 that she uses on Virgin and as soon as she first put the SIM in it pushed out the right service books and added the various icons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Is there a thread already started that elaborates further about these 'minor differences' and how they differ between the carriers? I'm just curious and interested in learning more.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
just beware, that even if you flash the rom, it still may not work as intended to like the carrier branded version. For an example, I have a rogers curve, unlocked, and am using it on fido, even flashing it with the fido rom, it will not put the fido branding on it, although most of the fido service books will be pushed to the device, some may not, like the my account, the mms, the shop fido, etc. battery life will be slightly less, because the phone will be in constant roaming, unless you go to manual network scan and choose fido.

I dont mind using an unlocked / another carriers blackberry, but when ever possible, I will try to buy the carrier branded version and get that one unlocked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts