Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have unlimited download with Bell and I'm happy with the service, at least the technical side; get consistently 6 Mbits anytime of the day.

cost: $55.95 + $3.95 modem rental, total: $59.90 (no longer available)

Yak.ca advertises unlimited download, 5 Mbits, cost: $36.95 (no contract):eek:

There must be some catch, is there?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
No catch. I pay $32/mo for 5Mbps with a 200GB cap. Unlimited is $40/mo from the same provider. $60/mo is way out of line for 6Mbps DSL, cap or not.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Bell offers internet service for much less than $56 a month. Isn't fibe 6 about $35 a month. (don't know what discounts etc there are)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Might want to hold onto that unlimited plan. Once UBB (Usage Based Billing) takes effect, thats going to be a cheap plan for unlimited usage. Older customers will be grandfathered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep your old plan, it is a little more expensive, but like some one pointed out usage based billing is coming, you old plan will stay unlimited.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mention about Yak.ca which also offers unlimited download at a far better price. Do they really deliver what they promise?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep your old plan, it is a little more expensive, but like some one pointed out usage based billing is coming, you old plan will stay unlimited.
I had that same plan almost two years ago and BELL took matters into their own hands and SWITCHED ME OFF OF IT without ANY notice. I called and complained and they said that the plan was no longer available and they refused to put me back on it. I threatened to cancel and spoke to a manager.. same story. They let me cancel my service and I switched to TekSavvy and haven't had a single regret.. Heck, I'm even saving money now !

I do have a friend who is also still on the same plan, and admittedly I am a heavy internet user, so my only thought about this is that Bell was trying to weed out the heavy users and get them to pay more.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Teksavvy customers who have had unlimited since 2007 will be grandfathered. Others will be subject to UBB from Bell. OTOH, Teksavvy is working on an appeal and other possible solutions so UBB is not inevitable. Teksavvy's unlimited at $40/mo is a very good deal.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
No mention about Yak.ca which also offers unlimited download at a far better price. Do they really deliver what they promise?
As Supergenius alluded to, with UBB, resellers will probably not be able to offer Unlimited packages anymore so if you leave Bell you risk losing your unlimited bandwidth cap. Would you be grandfathered at Yak? That's a question you need to discuss with them.

So is the extra money you pay for Bell worth having the unlimited cap?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A number of companies resell Teksavvy. Not sure about Yak.ca but they may be one of them. Unfortunately, you need to be an unlimited customer since 2007 to qualify for the grandfathering clause in the recent CRTC ruling. Switching now won't do any good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for the valuable info; and yes the extra cost is worth it for unlimited usage. So looks like I will stick with bell.
However, I am very tempted to mention Yak.ca to bell the next time they hassle me about switching to what they call a "better plan", just to see their reaction.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity, can Bell increase the cost of this plan as they please as a means of forcing us to switch? or is it still regulated, at least partially?....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bell's unlimited plan is going up $5 to $60.95 + modem rental on Jan 1.
There is no increase for any of the "capped" plans. They have added additional bandwidth insurance options. You can get an extra 120 gigs for $15/mth. It's not posted on their site yet!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
can Bell increase the cost of this plan as they please as a means of forcing us to switch?
AFAIK, retail internet prices are unregulated. Bell can set any price they want. Wholesale prices are regulated to encourage competition from independent ISPs. That's probably why Bell had to get approval for usage based billing, which is unprecedented due to the way it is implemented against independent ISPs' customers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts