Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unable to search attachments in windows live mail 2011 using the windows 7 search. I am able to search the contents of emails but not the contents of attachments within the email. I have the indexing switched on the folder where the window live mail is storing the .eml files.

I have the .eml selected in the 'File Types' as well as .pdf/.doc/.docx in the indexing options for the attachments that I am trying to search.

I am able to search contents of .pdf/.doc/.docx documents that I have on my computer (that are not attachments).

I have run the indexing troubleshooter, it does not find any issues. I have also rebuild the index, but still have the problem.

Can someone please let me know how to enable searching of email attachments in windows live mail 2011?

Does windows 7 search have the capability to search widows live mail 2011 attachments?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I don't believe you'd be able to do so, since the attachments would be embedded in the .eml files. The attachments themselves aren't saved separately on your computer until you open the message and manually save the attachment.

Note that this is more than likely the same in any mail program.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to search the attachments in windows XP with outlook express/outlook office 2007 using windows search 4.0, therefore I was hoping this kind of capability would be available in windows 7 as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57 what you said is possible.

Google desktop as well as copernic desktop search don't support windows live mail at all.

It is also possible there is some technical limitations when MS moved from .ost/.pst database files to .eml. All the desktop search tools were able to search emails/attachments in outlook express/outlook office but for some reason they don't seem to support WLM.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Sorry, I deleted my post, but here's the gist of what I said - Since there are viruses and worms in many attachments it may not be a good idea to be able to search attachments, hence the lack of this feature in newer software?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts