Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,901 Posts
@Mozza, you can get advanced stats from your modem by pasting this in your browser:

http://192.168.100.254/xslt?PAGE=J45

You should see this text followed by a bunch of numbers right near the end:

% Max Rate without Impulse Noise Compensation (5min intervals)
twld.max_rate_without_inc

I get numbers in the range of 60,000,000.

This works for the 3800HGV-B. I don't know if it works for the 3801.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Actually, I think he means the modem connection speed, which can be found on the 3800 under the "System" icon, and you will see a section below showing "Broadband Link". Depending on signal quality, loop length, and so on, it can be anywhere from 28,000 kbps to 35,000 kbps.

You can see the SNR margins and such under the Broadband Link icon at the top of the page.

I haven't touched Ultimate for some time now, so it's getting muddy.

·
Super Moderator
16,901 Posts
@Macman, your memory is accurate. However, we were discussing the maximum sync rate which is 60 Mbps in my case since I'm close to the node. I'm on the 32 Mbps profile, but it's nice to know I've got lots of headroom if MTS ever starts using higher VDSL2 profiles.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hmmm, I haven't heard anything about that. I know at this point, the eligibility tool shows the max sync rate as 35 Mbps for the 3800/3801. Pair bonding shows 50 Mbps, but AFAIK they are just running half the 35 Mbps on each pair.

I'm interested in all this talk of profiles over in the VDSL2 profiles thread. I'm kind of confused because MTS only uses VDSL2 for Ultimate, and ADSL2+ for internet only customers. It sounds like other providers are running their IPTV systems on both ADSL2+ and VDSL2 cards. I don't know what their reason is? Wonder if it gives them more flexibility as far as reach is concerned :confused:

:)

·
Super Moderator
16,901 Posts
@Macman, you're right that the fastest profile that MTS offers on a single pair is 35 Mbps. You're probably aware that with VDSL2 the speed is higher as you get closer to the node. So my modem is physically able to connect at 60 Mbps on a single pair even though MTS doesn't offer that profile.

The reason that profiles are so contentious in the Telus forum is that the line speeds are much slower than MTS. They range from 15 and 19 Mbps for ADSL2+ to 19 and 26 Mbps for VDSL2. The 15 Mbps line speed only allows 1HD/2SD and results in low internet speeds when all TVs are in use. This isn't an issue with MTS since they only use VDSL2 for Ultimate TV. Telus is in the process of upgrading all the ADSL lines to VDSL2.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The reason that profiles are so contentious in the Telus forum is that the line speeds are much slower than MTS. They range from 15 and 19 Mbps for ADSL2+ to 19 and 26 Mbps for VDSL2. The 15 Mbps line speed only allows 1HD/2SD and results in low internet speeds when all TVs are in use. This isn't an issue with MTS since they only use VDSL2 for Ultimate TV. Telus is in the process of upgrading all the ADSL lines to VDSL2.
Telus does use 32MB profile on VDSL2. I've have 3HD streams going and ran a speed test and still pull 15mbps\2mbps. Everything off internet is capped at 25mbps\2mbps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts