Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with the WRT300N I have just incorporated to my home network. This is how everything is installed right now:

From the 2wire:

1. Via CAT5 --> PVR
2. Via CAT5 --> HD receiver
3. Via coax --> HD receiver
4. Via CAT5 --> WRT300N

From the WRT300N:

a. Via CAT5 --> Desktop PC
b. Via CAT5 --> Xbox 360
c. Via CAT5 --> PS3
d. wireless N --> Laptop
e. wireless G --> other mobile gadgets/bluray player/TV

When connecting the WRT300N to the 2wire, the cable from the 2wire went into one of the LAN ports of the 300N, that left 3 ports on the 300N available (and used as explained above). I changed the WRT300N router IP to 192.168.100.200 and setup the wireless as usual. I left the 2wire wireless ON (so I have 2 wireless access points).

At this point everything was working OK, but from time to time either the laptop or the desktop (which are connecting to the WRT300N) won't be able to open any websites, the connection is OK (I still have access to my home network) but there is a DNS error so I have to reset the network connection (in the laptop or desktop, wherever I have a problem) so they can connect again, needless to say this is annoying.

I'm either too tired or not knowledgeable enough, but I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

Does anybody have any pointers? I know some people have this same configuration and is working OK, specially with the WRT300N I think the user "wstock" is using a similar config, how did you guys get it going without problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think it has been discussed before and I know I am having issues with it, there seems to be a problem running DDWRT on Linksys 802.11n hardware when connected directly to the 2wire. I used to have my WRT610n connected to a WRT54g which connected to the 2wire without issue. Removing the WRT54g I suddenly have a load of issues to deal with.

Are you running DDWRT on your router?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to google DDWRT, is that a third party firmware for the 300N router? If yes, then the answer to your question is NO, I'm running the latest official firmware from Linksys.

DHCP is turned off on the router as well, what I found out yesterday after doing further research is that I had NAT enabled on the 300N, turned it off and so far so good.

I won't be able to check again until later tonight but I will post results after a couple of days testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts