Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still weighing up options for my next receiver, and trying to understand before I buy. Sorry if this is well known - I could not find an answer to this question via searching.

So, the 9241 has no TV2 option for sending the signal to another room (like the 9242), but it does has a UHF remote antenna on the back of the unit.

I don't need a specific TV2 output option - I'm the only one who uses the Bell box. My current 5100 sends its output around the house from its RF out port for when I'm not in front of the living room TV, and I could use an RF modulator with the 9241 to do the same thing. However, the UHF remotes that I use on my current 5100 are very handy.

Does the 9241 remote work in UHF mode, or is it IR only? Does the receiver actually pick-up UHF remote signals, or is the antenna a historic holdover from 9242 design? Will older-model UHF remotes work? (I have two spare remotes for the 5100 for other rooms in the house - 98% of the buttons appear the same in the same location, so I'm happy to just use those if they'll work with the 9241)

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The 9241 does use UHF Pro signals as well as IR.

As the 9241 does not have a coax output, you could use the Composite to send Video and Stereo signals to another TV or use a Modulator, connected to the Composite Outputs and send signals via a Coax.

The 5100/5800/5900, use UHF Remotes, these will not work on the 9241 as they are UHF Pro. They will work it as an IR Remote, though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

SO, I could use one of the 5900 remotes as the IR remote in front of the receiver, and the one that comes with the receiver in one of the remote rooms. I guess I'd still need to buy one additional 9241 remote to duplicate my current set-up of 3 UHF remotes.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes that sounds right.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There is a Harmony that uses UHF, try a google search or on Harmony's page. It might be a 890 or something, not sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah sorry should have specified. I already have a harmony remote. I think there is an adapter you can get. Still looking into it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Not heard of that item.

·
Registered
544 Posts
1leafs_fan, you probably mean the rf/ir extenter which will only work with Harmony remotes like models 890,890 pro,900 or the 1100.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I could use one of the 5900 remotes as the IR remote in front of the receiver, and the one that comes with the receiver in one of the remote rooms. I guess I'd still need to buy one additional 9241 remote to duplicate my current set-up of 3 UHF remotes.
Pinza said:
Yes that sounds right.
I got the 9241 installed in the last couple of nights. Bell's website receiver activation tool is really nice!

So, I sat there with the 5900 remote (Platinum) a few inches from the front of the 9241 box, and couldn't get it to do anything with the 9241. Its working in IR mode to control the TV volume, etc - do those Platinum ones only work in UHF in "SAT" mode?

Looks like I'll have to get a couple more UHF Pro 8.0 remotes, and sell 3 platinum remotes with the 5900! This is kind of annoying, as the only buttons on the 9241 remote that are missing on the Platinums are the PIP/swap buttons right above the number keypad.... and the 9241 doesn't have PIP anyway!

Oh well.... more funds spent on ebay....

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am using a 5900 Remote to control a 3100, so it should work as an IR Remote.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The 5000 series and 9000 receiver series UHF remotes are not compatible. 9xxx remotes will control 5xxx receivers with IR only. Not sure if 5xxx remotes will control 9xxx receivers with IR. Make sure the remote and receiver addresses match by pressing record while on the info screen. For a 9xxx receiver, you want a UHF Pro 6.2 remote or higher.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes the 5xxx are UHF and the 9xxx are UHF Pro but I thought the 5xxx remote would still work the 9xxx receiver with IR, as I said, it works my 3100 and that has no UHF, it is only IR....

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Like I said, I'm not 100% sure about 5xxx and 9xxx IR compatibility. I do know that some UHF Pro remotes must be programmed with the AUX button to control 5xxx or 3xxx receivers using IR so there may be compatibility issues.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks Kevin, I thought so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts