Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up a 32" TV in our kitchen, wall mounted with the receiver in the basement.... The receiver is only 10' away from the remote operator.... Found a UHF remote antenna and hooked it up.

I am finding the responsiveness to the remote to be lacking.... The 1st couple button pushes are ok, but sometimes I have to try a couple times to get to where I want to go....

I put fresh batteries in the remote.... same deal....

Are you good with your UHF remote setup? Maybe I'll dig up a different shaw remote and give it a try.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think your post says you are using two 500's. If so, I have no experience with 500's.

But, I have two 505's in the basement and control three TV's from the bedrooms in the second floor with no problems. I have learned that the UHF antenna on the back of the receiver (by the way, it is easy to attach it to the wrong F-connector) needs to be unimpeded, and clear of large pieces of metal like ductwork. I attach the UHF antenna through a length of coax to a point that is out in the open - between the joists in my case. The range is easily 330 to 40 feet with this setup. I have used both current silver 5xx series remotes, and older black 405 remotes interchangeably to control the 505's - both work fine.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at the Model Number for the remote.... I can only guess at the age. I know that the remotes have not been used much.... I have a 3rd party All-In_one remote that I have used most of the time....

I believe it was a remote for the 505, or 530.... might be for the 500 (we have all 3 rcr's), and the remotes all had similiar button layouts.

My rcr used in the kitchen is a 505 presently.... might get a 605 later for it. It is currently sitting in the basement, on a top shelf close to the ceiling. Their is a 6" HVAC round duct that could be between the antenna and the operator.... The sink and granite countertop (only 1.25" thick) might also be in the way....

P

·
Registered
470 Posts
I used to use the remote through a brick wall and now it will not work through a lattice wooden door with fresh batteries...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts