Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· OTA Forum Moderator
25,741 Posts
Camera.Ken said:
is this the reality of Linux and Ubuntu?
Of course not. In your case it is a question that Ubuntu users can answer best since other Linux distros mount it under /media and pop up a window menu asking you what you want to do with the inserted DVD.

I need to install Ubuntu into a virtual machine so that I can get more familiar with it. I'm a Mandriva/Red Hat/Fedora/CentOs Linux user.

· OTA Forum Moderator
25,741 Posts
Mentioning DOS from '82 in comparison to Linux is really just an admission that all computers underneath their eye candy graphics essentially look the same to an untrained person sitting in front of a monitor. It's true. What is also true is that Linux is many orders of magnitude more capable than DOS of '82. They are worlds apart in capability.

I read plenty of posts here at this site from Windows users who get bogged down by screen messages that are shown on a (insert music of doom) command line or blue text screen. Do you compare those situations to DOS of '82 too?

So, comparing Linux to DOS of '82 is funny if this is supposed to be comedy, but it is really not much more than hyperbole from an admittedly confused beginner who may simply have used a badly burned install disc or other matter.

Anyways if you really, earnestly want to give Linux a fair shake then I'll help. For a non-profit organization It is a godsend! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.