Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Took the plunge this morning and installed the 64 bit desktop and all is well so far. The installer is a bit nicer and easier to follow for new people to LINUX.

When opening a .deb file it defaults to using the Software Center.

Icons are a bit more polished. The NVidia booting glitch seems fixed as well.

All in all looks nicely polished.

Stew.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
which kernel version did it come with out of the box? Just wondering how far behind latest kernel.org version these days, on latest distro?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I took the plunge and decided to try out the latest Ubuntu. Considering I hadn't tried Linux for quite some time, I expected more of the same from how I've found Linux in the past: painful, aggravating, and frustration with the terminal (since the only main Linux command I know is sudo). :)

To my surprise, Ubuntu found all the major hardware in my laptop (last time I tried Linux, I couldn't get wireless working). To my surprise, it even found a driver for my Presonus Audiobox USB audio interface module (which isn't listed on Presonus' site, and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything about it being compatible). The only thing I doubt I'll get working is the Authentec fingerprint scanner, but maybe I just haven't looked where to find how to set that up. Either way, I can live without that if needed.

The thing I really like is that most things seem to be in a logical place, and despite it being different from Windows, I'm quickly adapting to it. Can't wait to keep on experimenting, but so far I must say Ubuntu has finally made me want to stick with Linux a bit more. :)

UPDATE:

The Windows-based installer for Ubuntu hasn't been updated to grab 10.10 yet. I didn't realize this until after I installed it, so the above comments are related to version 10.04.. oops). I since updated to the 10.10 from within Ubuntu, and it broke dual-display capability with my laptop's Intel integrated GPU. In my initial attempts to fix it, I completely messed things up to the point I could not get into a useful X session. Looking at the bug reports for 10.10, it seems a few users tried reporting it before this release came out.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
thx tim, looks like kernel.org is at 2.6.36.xx so that's pretty good.
A while ago some of the other distros were further behind, and I didn't feel like re-compiling the kernel on a slower machine to get built in support for some of the stuff that was included in 2.6.34 I think it was.

I'll take a look at this now, as it should support my tuner cards now outta the box.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
I installed 10.10 on a friends laptop. Slick install from a bootable USB stick. Took less than 10 minutes and that included FF and OO. The only hitch I encountered was with DVD playback. I had to run a command manually after googling a bit. Pretty lame. Yes I know about the decryption issue.

Also, I installed Skype that was listed in the Software Center. The install progress finished and then nothing. Since this is my first Linux desktop experiment what do I do next? It does not appear in the Applications lists.

Overall it was pretty impressive. I plan to change over my main desktop now.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jake,

Have a look at the just released Linux Mint 10 as well. Impressive interface coming from Windows and the DVD version includes all necessary codecs.

- Stew

·
Registered
366 Posts
Jake,

Have a look at the just released Linux Mint 10 as well. Impressive interface coming from Windows and the DVD version includes all necessary codecs.

- Stew
I just upgraded to Mint 10 on my T42 IBM laptop. The synaptic package of GoogleEarth crashes but to my surprise if you do a local home directory install of the latest generic linux release directly from Google it works really well...and this is with 32 meg assigned vid ram on an old radeon 7500 integrated chipset.

No spinning globe or usable flight simulator but the rest is really fast and stable for a change. But heck 64 meg on XP with an Nvidia Gforce 4 didn't even come close to what this install of GoogleEarth on Linux can do. The network load times are incredibly fast and the 3d map is good though a little slow to load. guess it just needs time to reallocate buffer space. But it does not crash Xorg at all anymore.

The one problem I had was getting my cell phone to send via bluetooth to the laptop. Turns out you have to install the gnome-user-share package which is not there by default.

After all the fiddlin' I have a beta of ps3 media server and Mediatomb streaming 5.1 dvds directly to my Samsung allshare through wifi with little to no drop. You have to edit the config file for Mediatomb to do this but it does work if you have the patience and the google skills.

There is no rt kernel option yet but you can bet it will be along shortly when the Ubuntu-Studio guys get it fine tuned for audio and video production. That said Audacity is current and seems to work better than in the past with pulse. Pulse does have an rt configuration option so when the rt kernel is released high bit rate recording in real time should now be much easier with the pulse server.

What I love is that both my onboard sound and a pcmcia audigy will work at the same time...something that was impossible with WindowsXP. Turns out that you can separate the onboard sound irq from the rest of the buss on this laptop. This makes realtime monitoring a breeze. Audacity will now pipe the monitor output to the onboard and take the input from the pcmcia at the same time and at last pulse can easily be configured to do this. That way the dsp on the audigy will do all the hard high bit rate a-d conversion work and leave the AC97 onboard very little work to do.

Of course you can install all the non-free coded stuff like libavcodec-52 and run Ubuntu the same way. It is just that the Mint distro has everything ready installed except inbound file acceptance for Gnome. Mint plays dvds right out of the box and if you put in the latest VLC you can do blueray....if you have a drive and the hardware to handle it.

I must say the video drivers in the latest Xorg are really getting good and will do most things without having to install an OpenGL driver. I guess they have really been working overtime to get things right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts