Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got email from Primus saying that as a result of UBB decision they are imposing a cap on downloads effective Feb 1. The cap for my plan is now 25G which is a HUGE change from the unlimited download that it used to be.

Extra data can be purchased in advance (40G blocks) or billed as used up to a max of $60/mo for 300G.

And not coincidentally rates are going up by $5/mo to cover rising "support" costs.

Needless to say, I am not impressed, :mad:

Any suggestions on who to go with?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wow. I got the email this afternoon. My cap is 25GB too with a $2.00/GB surcharge to a maximum of $60.00/month. Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB.

Five dollar increase in my package too. My usage last month was 22.85 GB in November and 45 GB in December.

Frankly a cap was expected (thanks to the federal government) but I expected a 60GB cap so 25GB is a real surprise. What bugs me the most is Primus also using this as cover to to push through a $5 increase.

For me, Primus is still a lot cheaper than Bell so I won't be changing.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Below the monthly usage I got

Also commencing with your next bill in February, the monthly rate of your Primus Triple Value Bundle plan will increase by $5.00 to help cover rising ongoing support costs.
Maybe they are not hitting everyone with the $5 increase?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same message at the bottom of my email as hugh. I was an existing Primus (formerly Magma) customer when I got my bundle set up so I think I was on a somewhat lower rate initially.

Initial research seems to suggest that TekSavvy is the best option right now.

Looks like the move to replace the domain specific email addresses is going to be accelerated.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
jvincent, my suspicion is that TekSavvy will be sending out the same message in coming days.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that had crossed my mind. The low cap is what really irks me.

I work from home a fair bit and that chews up data pretty quickly in addition to all the other usage for the wife and kids.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And to add to the fire, I just checked my internet usage and I was WAY above 25G every month since June.

My lowest usage was 32G in October, which happened to coincide with a one week vacation and two week business trip so the usage there was artificially low.

I really hate the CRTC.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
25GB is really frightenly low...my typical usage is 100GB which covers a family of four for VOIP and IPTV. Not high by any measure, but it looks like Bell has duped the regulators into a really, really low threshold.

I don't want to be silent on this issue, but I don't know where to turn. I have a lame duck independent MP (Guergis) so I can't even complain to my MP.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
In reading another thread, it appears the 25 GB level was the level set by the CRTC.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crap, TekSavvy isn't available at my location. :(

Looks like Rogers might actually be my best option.

If I move my phone and internet to them I'll actually get a 15% discount of those services because I already have cable + mobile with them plus I'd get an extra 10% discount off of my other Rogers services.

When all is said and done I might actually lower my total bill by going all Rogers. I should buy some shares.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
I hate the CRTC and i hate bell! What's the point of high speed? Seriously, what's the point? In November I was also WAY over the 25GB limit, so now I have to pay a lot more and monitor every step? At least what they should do is stagger the cost. The limit is 25GB (insane) and if you go over it, they put you into the next band so they add 40GB and add $5 to your bill instead of $2/GB which again is an astronomical and ridiculous number.

FYI - I am a triple value subscriber with Primus and didn't get the message about the cost going up an extra $5 come feb.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Posts moved. This thread is about the changes at Primus. We have a thread discussing the UBB decision by the CRTC here

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
When I signed up for Primus several years ago, I had numerous problems. As a gesture, they reduced my rate by $10 a month.

The $5 increase plus the $5 for an extra 40GB puts me back to what my original payment was several years ago so its still cheaper than Bell so I will stay put.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Called Primus today, to dispute a bill. I told them I was unhappy with the deal and I would likely have to move on. She said lots of people are calling in to complain.
I just started looking around and for 32 bucks I can get 200 gigs a month instead of 25 gig. (Savy) Still need to talk to them to verify if its going to be the same in Febuary.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I replied to my original mail from Primus saying I wasn't happy and just got a reply from them explaining the situation and letting me know that for $40/mo I could get unlimited bandwidth.

Woot! What a great deal! Not.

I've countered with a suggestion of 125G at my current pricing. We'll see what I get back.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
Question. The way the phrased the email is that the Feb. invoice will have the cap limits already in it. So does that mean that we need to start restricting come Jan. 1st to stay under the 25GB cap for the Feb. invoice? I don't really understand when this is supposed to start.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
From the email "This serves as 30 days notice that beginning February 1, 2011 there will be changes to your Internet service provided by Primus. "

February Invoice for me comes on March 2nd. Need to start restricting on Feb 1.

(see teksavvy thread for details but it would appear that you won't be getting 200GB cap from them or anyone after Feb 1)

1 - 20 of 180 Posts