Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Montreal (on the south shore) and I was wondering what US talk AM stations I can manage to receive here. I already noticed that I can now receive AM620 from Vermont since Corus they closed (info 690am)
I'm looking from sports stations, (espn Radio, Jim Rome show, or regular talk)
I have a small grunding Am/FM shortwave radio

Is there a list a potential stations somewhere ?

Should I buy a AM radio antenna signal amplifier to get more ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi mstikes:

Am radio is nothing like FM or TV, as vast ranges are possible if you use the right equipment. I live 100 km North of Toronto and can easily get daytime AM radio from Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Detroit, and other USA cities...some are about 400-500 km away (by groundwave). At night, thanks to the ionosphere, the AM band becomes a sea of talk signals, from all over Canada and the USA. The key, I think, is the right equipment. If you have a good, selective receiver (I use a Kenwood TS-870 ham radio transceiver for AM, which is super sensitive/selective) you can easily get USA daytime AM talk signals in Montreal, I should think, with Plattsburgh, Albany, Schenectady, and Watertown all likely possibilities. You need a very long outdoor antenna...I use a 150 foot dipole, which works pretty well. That's very cheap, all that is required is some durable electric cord, some outdoor supports (trees, poles, whatever), some insulators, and some shielded coax to keep stray noise/interferences out of your aerial. There's plenty of easy antenna ideas here that will work just fine for AM radio (though they're really intended for Ham gear...the AM band is just below the 160-meter top band we ham radio operators use).

http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/Wire Antennas for Ham Radio/Wire_antennas_for_ham_radio.htm

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should be able to get the Burlington/Platsburg market stations pretty well.

For talk radio theres WVMT 620 and WEAV 960. Theres also an ESPN Radio affiliate WCAT at 1390. They all run 5kw so they should have a decent signal into Montreal during the day. Theres also a few Massena, NY stations that you could try like ESPN Radio 1400 WSLB and theres another sports/talk station at 1050. These both run only 1kw but depending on your location you may have better reception of Massena if your further west.

At night you should be able to get NYC and Boston in clearly.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If you needed to have 690 go away before you could get 620, you need a better AM radio. An amp won't help you unless it has a very sharp preselector. In any case, you could get quality AM radios for the same money a powered AM antenna would cost.

·
Registered
131 Posts
WFAN 660 AM from New York is easy to get in Montreal at night. Mets and Devils games, plus a lot of sports talk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts