101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
ABC, Scripps to Carry New Broadcast Network Dedicated to Comedy

The country’s first-ever, over-the-air broadcast television network devoted to comedy around-the-clock will launch this spring when Katz Broadcasting debuts LAFF on April 15, 2015.

LAFF will feature a mix of contemporary off-network sitcoms and popular theatrical motion pictures, with a target audience of adults 18-49. The LAFF brand will cross multiple platforms, with the linear network carried on the signals of local broadcast television stations.

Katz Broadcasting also announced two major distribution agreements for LAFF:
The ABC Owned Television Stations will carry LAFF in New York (WABC-TV), Los Angeles (KABC-TV), Chicago (WLS-TV), Philadelphia (WPVI-TV), San Francisco (KGO-TV), Houston (KTRK-TV), Raleigh (WTVD-TV) and Fresno (KFSN-TV).

The E.W. Scripps Company will also launch LAFF on its stations in Detroit (WXYZ-TV), Phoenix (KNXV-TV), Tampa (WFTS-TV), Denver (KMGH-TV), Cleveland (WEWS-TV), Indianapolis (WRTV-TV), Baltimore (WMAR-TV), San Diego (KGTV-TV), Kansas City (KSHB-TV), Cincinnati (WCPO-TV), West Palm Beach (WPTV-TV), Buffalo (WKBW-TV) and Tulsa (KJRH-TV).

Full Press Release.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good I will look for on 5 WEWS Cleveland and, If lucky 7 WXYZ Detroit, . Waiting for 3.2 WKYC , Justice TV, but than no more Weather!! to start.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As mentioned, WKBW is planning to launch LAFF on 7.2 in April.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2015/01/20/ch-7-add-comedy-network-called-laff-mid-april-sub-channel/

It looks like there's even more good news though. In the article linked above, WKBW's station manager made it sound like a 7.3 is also on the way. The money quote:

Channel 7 General Manager Michael Nurse confirmed the plans to carry LAFF on sub-channel 7.2 in an email to his staff.

“We will be part of this digital channel launch this spring,” wrote Nurse. “This and another channel will be a pass- through service – without local content or local ad insertion but do represent us maximizing our spectrum under Scripps.”​

Let the speculation begin..

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cool, I'm looking forward to checking out Laff. I asked them about their programming, but they're keeping it secret until April.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Justice TV started today on ch 3 .2 WKYC Cleveland OHIO. No more weather for Clev area. I try to get Weather Nation on 13.3 WTVG ABC out of Toledo OH, but Reception is iffy!

·
Registered
311 Posts
hey amcgoody did they add grit tv up north were u live.the added it to the cw in columbus and to another station i get outta wv

·
Registered
311 Posts
it is on alot of channels not listed on its site.the cw in columbus 53-2 and its 8-3 in wv.the people who created bounce made it and they are the same ones who are making laff so i wonder if we will be getting it too in columbus market.i say bring on more channels i am up to 40 channels between my two antennas thats better then basic cable in some areas.

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Clearly these companies in the U.S. are seeing subchannels as a major opportunity - there have been a number of subs launched in the past year (with a couple even owned by the major networks and aired on O&O affiliates.)

Unfortunately since Rogers/Bell/Shaw own our OTA networks here in Canada, they have no incentive to make the OTA offering any more attractive at the cost of their cable/sat businesses. The best hope for Canadian subchannels is probably on independents like CHCH or YES who may not have enough cash to get them off the ground, or the CBC who are constantly facing cutbacks and don't seem to have much desire anyways - though a CBC2 filled with timeshifted news and retro programming (old childrens shows and whatnot) seems that it would be pretty cheap to operate.

Getting back to this BUZZR channel, I wonder if Sinclair would pick it up as they own Fox in Buffalo. WUTV 29 has 3 channels already but Sinclair also owns WNYO 49 which only has 2 - maybe it could be added there (or swap one of WUTV's subs over to WNYO to create space.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just noticed LAFF and Escape listed in my TitanTV listings for the first time so I did a scan...nothing. 7.1 always has a strong signal here so I hope these 2 channels show up soon!

101 - 120 of 153 Posts