Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Developing, but it's been confirmed on BBR that Cogeco will be launching yet another pair of receivers later this month/early November.

Pace Dallas DC550D (HD)
Pace Tango TDC788D (HD-PVR)

Not much else has been said as of yet :)

·
Banned
364 Posts
Neither is listed on Pace's site, although I suspect they're both dual-tuner models.

Pace apparently has some triple-tuner models. Where do I sign up for one of those?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't order them yet. And correct, they're nowhere on the Pace site, but they do exist.

A Cogeco employee (Asawulf) confirmed a few features on BBR:

text.dslreports.com/forum/r24924501-New-HD-boxes-Dallas-TDC788D-and-Tango-DC550D-comingsoon

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Link is broken but proves it exists : http://techsupport.pace.com:8080/sd/AddSolution.sd?solID=24015

Nothing really exciting about the 550D though, it's a very straight forward HD box with no PVR... It looks good though.
That link wasn't broken until I broke it the other day :p All their support documents have a "&delete=false" parameter in the URL. I couldn't help playing around with that lol

Long story short, I deleted it from their server. But I saved a copy first:

http://davidswebserver.com/misc/DC550D_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quite honestly I doubt you are the one who deleted it since they have had problems with many files on their server for a while, back in june I tried to get that same file and the file was simply corrupted beyond being openable, the week after I was able to download, open but only half of the pdf was now showing properly ;) So a few weeks after I tried again and got the file ...

So unless they are stupid enough to leave their PDF folder with accesses in R/W and not only R, and on port 8080, via a web page, they are fools beyond recongnition ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, trust me, it was me, and they are stupid enough :p It was immediately after I tried "&delete=true" that it was removed. I may have also tried it on a few other files to confirm ;) lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any updates on how to replace my Moto 6416 for a new Pace top DVR?
I really need more HD space, does the Pace DVR allow a external USB Add on Harddrive ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes the Pace Tango TDC788D (HD-PVR) is eSATA enabled; but it's unsupported by Cogeco.

How to change your box? 1) call Cogeco and tell them you want a PVR with larger size HDD space and ESATA capacity, if you ask nicely chances are they'll agree to send you one... 2) You could try the storefront too, tell them the same thing; if they have one they'll prolly give it to you...

But first : note that these boxes are NOT out yet in Ontario so no need to call/goto the storefront atm...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supposedly the Pace RNG200N will be launching in Quebec in place of the TDC788D. According to Asawulf, they might have launched as early as yesterday. I just checked the Cogeco website though and see no reference to any of these new STBs or any related support documents.

Edit: Correction! Just noticed under the receiver specifications on the Cogeco QC website that the HD-PVR is now listed to have a 500GB hard drive, inline with the RNG200N and TDC788D :D

http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/qc/en/residential/tv/digital_receivers.html

Edit 2: Confirmed, the RNG200N has launched in Quebec. I haven't been able to track down any official specs yet, but I've contacted Pace in hopes of them sending some info my way.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Some off-topic posts removed. This thread is about the new receivers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anybody know if/when the new boxes will be available in Ontario? I'm holding out for the 500 gig. unit, hopefully it'll be more reliable than the earlier Pace units.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is a lot more reliable and it is available in Ontario, but it's not available in every Cogeco shop so you might have to call to the call center to check availability :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was at Oakville Place yesterday exchanging my cable modem and was told that the old Pace units have been discontinued and that they had not see any units in the past 3 weeks. New units are hopefully around the corner.

I'd be thrilled to see a HD-PVR with a 500GB hard drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most areas can use the DC550D, you have to be "all-digital" to use it. You can call in to verify if your area is all digital, or can check to see a current DCT has the "900" series channels (Note DCT700, DCX700, and the new PACE boxes will not show the 900's, but if you have one your area is all-digital).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pace DC550D

I'm setting up a "man room" in my basement, and was thrilled to see the new Pace DC550D offered at FS for $150. The thing is, the TV down there will be used maybe 20% of the time for watching television, with the main TV being upstairs. The upstairs TV already has a PVR, and for the little TV I'm watching in the basement, I don't really need a PVR down there.

Having said that, I'd love to have some recording capability, akin to what Bell offers. I notice how much I miss the "pause live TV" and rewind functionality when I'm watching a non-PVR TV.

So, although I doubt the DC550D can record to an external HDD, is there any plans to open this functionality to the consumer. I hate to sound cynical, but I figure unless Cogeco can monetize the feature, it won't be offered. Having said that, it's not like Cogeco will loose any money on me at least, since I'm not buying a PVR either way. Having said that, I find myself looking at Bell more and more just for the external drive function.

So what does the board have to say?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts