Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Colin & Justin's Home Heist" and "Restaurant Makeover" (??!!) from HGTV. "Wife Swap" from Slice (unless it's the British version that airs for some bizarre reason on Showcase). "The Golden Girls" that use to be a main-stay on the channel when it was known as older-skewing Prime (TV) and is now on Deja View.

The channel's "focus" was suppose to be "hit TV from the past 15 years" ("Just Shoot Me", "NewsRadio", "Seinfeld", newer fare like "Family Guy"). Now it's rapidly and severely deteriorated into a mishmash of half a dozen Canwest-own cable channels (acquired from the Atlantis-Alliance purchase). Obvious HGTV shows like "Real Renos" and "Flipping Out" and "Buy Me" have absolutely no business being on this channel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
TVTropolis (and Prime before it) used to be one of our most watched stations. Now it's just an afterthought. They filled it with a bunch of reality shows for awhile there. I can only hope that now Canwest has released their reality channel, those shows leave TVTropolis.

·
Banned
296 Posts
TVtropolis is CanWest's flavor-of-the-year channel. Think of it as a high-class dump, as the channel enjoy analog distribution, and therefor part of popular packages. The channel has no focus, they just want to put everything they like on that single channel.

The old sitcoms and series are the ones they could buy rights at a very low cost, so they'll maximize their small investment by spreading between DejaView and TVtropolis.

Reality shows? Off course, they're popular on the other channels.

HGTV shows and boring "Whatever Happened To" fillers? Off course, there's a canadian quota to fill !

So, basically, all of CanWest's specialties are out of focus, and they also submitted applications to the CRTC to modify the categories their channels can air, which includes professional sports and music videos. Yeah, professional sports on the Food Network and TVtropolis. Who would have thought...
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-141.htm

·
Registered
305 Posts
History Television is another one that has no focus a lot of the time. There are a few decent historical shows, but half the time they are playing movies that have zero historical relevance. The History Channel (I think it was International History Channel or something actually) in the US is actually really good (or was good when 5 years ago when I had directv).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts