Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 470 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Preparing for next year, I'm using CTV to populate my TVGOS listings.
Anyone that has TVGOS (either cable or OTA) that has tried Postal Codes from Ft Erie, Niagara Falls and Toronto see any difference of the number of services listed? I'm not referring to cable providers, just the actual 'channels' themselves. I have many 'no data' listings for common cable channels (at least in the US).

I don't want to try a Toronto Code and have to go through all of that sorting again if there isn't any difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey HeartedGood,

Hi, About 10 days ago my Panasonic PVR stopped downloading the guide. Other people on this board with various brands of equipment that rely on teh TVGOS guides have reported similar problems.

Today, I confirmed with Shaw that they are no longer subscribing to the guide service provided by Macrovision. In an email I recieved from Macrovision when I asked if there were TVGOS problems in Edmonton, I recieved the following:

Unfortunately Shaw is no longer supporting TVGuide onScreen Data, there is no resolution to this issue at this time. We have attempted on several occasions to work with Shaw but they have been uncooperative. We are open to working with Shaw in the future to resolve this issue for there [sic] consumers.
Shaw's Technical Support agent, Greg, told me this afternoon that he had received a memo saying Shaw had discontinued the service because it used to be free, but a fee was to come into effect and Shaw felt that their 'channel 5' guide and the digital cable guide would be sufficient for subscribers.

I will be sending an email to Jim Shaw, President and CEO and encourage anyone else affected by this decision to do the same. I believe his email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Help

I won a Sony Bravia XBR HD set durning the summer. I have regular cable and no digital or hd box. Am I out of luck re tvgos if not what can i do it has been weeks and i am still not getting this feature.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Am I out of luck re tvgos if not what can i do it has been weeks and i am still not getting this feature.
CFTO is still providing the data. This is where I'm detting my data from on one of my two TVGOS devices. Why Shaw is 'stripping' this out is beyond me.
The only solution is a OTA antenna.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can you explain your response. What do you mean by CFTO is still providing data. As for devices do you mean tvs or something else? I am not with Shaw cable but Rogers. Lastly what is OTA?

·
Registered
536 Posts
TVGOS is still coming through on my Panasonic DMR-EH50. I see listings up to, and including, Tuesday, 18 Nov 2008. I am with Shaw in Manitoba.

·
Registered
140 Posts
no tvgos in edmonton on shaw. Very frusturating. anyone know if i can get my listing somewhere else in edmonton ota? im using a pioneer dvr and burner. ii belive th emodel is the 530.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanxs for the reply but i was asking what u mean by cfto is still providing you data. also what are the devices u mean and what u mean by a over the air antenae.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
i was asking what u mean by cfto is still providing you data
Exactly what it says. CFTO provides the TVGOS data.
what are the devices u mean and what u mean by a over the air antenae
"Devices" are the antennas. Would TTA (through the air) be better? :confused:

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Kalel,

Welcome to DHC. To help us help you better, please put your location (city) in your profile.

Since you seem to be new to TVGoS, I'll expand a little bit more. What videobruce is trying to explain is that there are certain stations (and cable co.'s) in Canada and the US that provide the TVGoS data along with their broadcast - it is not necessarily inserted by the cable company, however it is possible that this data can get stripped out by the cable co.'s head-end. This data is also known as metadata and provides any TVGoS capable "device" the programming info. "Devices" are TV's, but can also be DVR's, VCR's, etc...

Because the TVGoS data is inserted by the originating broadcaster, any "device" connected by an antenna that can receive that station OTA, should be able to download the guide data, as long as the "device" has power, and is configured properly. If your tv's power is on a switched outlet (power-bar, etc.), you need to leave that outlet on so that the TV has power to download the data, even though the TV itself not "on". This is no different than a satellite STB or cable digital STB, that needs to remain powered to download their guide data.

You must also make sure that your HDTV is configured properly to receive data. This can include inputting your provider and location (via zip/postal code). See your TV's manual for more info.

That being said, some consumer electronics are now being built that utilize digital TVGoS data, and not necessarily the older analog (as in current) TVGoS data. Some consumer equipment can covert digital TVGoS to analog and pass the data through to legacy TVGoS device. To receive the digital version, if it is present in your area, your ATSC (digital) tuner in your set must be active - that is, it must be connected to an antenna, that can receive a digital station broadcasting the digital TVGoS data. You will need to check which type of data is supported with your particular HDTV. If it is the analog version, you then need to check with your local CTV station to see if they are providing the TVGoS data, and then check with your cable provider to find out if the TVGoS data is being removed by them.

In Canada, the analog TVGoS data is usually provided by the local CTV affiliate, and in the US by the local PBS station.

Whether the digital TVGoS data is being transmitted by any networks in Canada is not yet clear, but I have not seen any reports of it. If you read above you will see that there are questions about how many CBS stations are transmitting the digital version, as it appears that they are the intended broadcaster for TVGoS in the US.

Did this help?

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I did misspoke regarding the term "devices" as I thought he didn't know about antennas.

Which brings me back to my previous question; Of the four + Toronto choices (and other postal codes) for providers, does one, over the others, have a more complete listing of services that won't give me a "No listings" message?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I am new to the world of HD I though devices meant machines and not accessories or cables. I was asking what kind of data.

Does this mean my HDTV was suppose to come with antennae? Cause I did not get one. I live in an apartment and as far as I know the building has no antennae to hook my tv up to even if I knew how to do so. As for inputting info I have entered my correct postal code. How do I check which type of data is supported by my HDTV? I appreciate the help I just do not want to do anything wrong since I won this tv I do not know how easy it might be to get tv fixed if something happenned to it plus as I am sure you would all agree I want to get the most out of it given my work/financial situation.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Does this mean my HDTV was suppose to come with antennae?
very unlikely
How do I check which type of data is supported by my HDTV?
If it's not in the manual, contact Sony. If they can't tell you, assume it is analog - currently very little consumer equipment accepts digital TVGOS.
given my work/financial situation
None of my business, but best of luck to you. :)
_________

Now, here comes the fun part! :)
You said you are on basic cable and in an apartment. I'm assuming your shiny new set has an ATSC (digital) tuner in it. If you have any window or balcony that faces towards the CN Tower or Buffalo, you will be pleased to know that with an antenna you might possibly get free digital channels, including High Def!. There is no HD on basic cable.
Check out these threads in the digital OTA forum for more information:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95753
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

·
Registered
27 Posts
where in the manual would i look to see what type of data is supported.

thanxs fopr the well wishes.

well thew bare basic package but the one up from it. my current access does not allow me any hd channels or movie ones. again like above where in the manual would i look to see what kind of tuner the tv has. now when u say face towards can u clarify. i know it sounds stupid but given layout of my apartment if u are in my apartment u cannot realy see the tower but if u go out and stand right in front of my apartment on a clear day it can be seen.

thanxs for your help.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kalel,
see my answer to your question in the OTA forum.
Based on your info from your question in that that forum,... yes your TV has an ATSC (digital) tuner.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
FWIW, I tried Postal Codes from the four cities and other than the provider list being slightly different, the actual listings seemed to be about the same.
Regarding CBS and WIVB, it's still in limbo, but it's not a dead issue as reported elsewhere.

61 - 80 of 470 Posts