Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have downloaded but after reading the blog, I am reluctant to install. I don't like the idea of turning off UAC and installing an Ask.com toolbar.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I installed it yesterday and it's fine so far. Much nicer interface.

You don't have to install the Ask.com toolbar - just deselect the checkbox at installation. I already had UAC turned off for other reasons.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Do you know if you have to uninstall the previous version?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you know if you have to uninstall the previous version?
I just ran the install and it upgraded the existing install just fine. kept all my shared folders etc. I believe it recreated the DB, but I didn't have to re-share anything. It all just re-appeared.

Still works fine with my DSM-320. (360 and PS3 are in storage for a move at the minute. I'll be able to try them again on Sunday)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Well after several weeks of use, I am very happy with TVersity.

The family loves to sit in front of our 100" screen and I stream music and photos simultaneously to the PS3 and its really a lot of fun.

We listend to music, view our photos and have a blast.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Yeah I dealt with all the issues and I have UAC back on and no Ask.com toolbar.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I tried the iTouch stuff a few weeks ago and bookmarked the server in Safari. I can then dock it into the Phillips SoundBar which has an iPod dock and listen to tunes.

Very cool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, it revived my old Photobridge HD1000. Transcoding works like a charm ... The only downside is having a windows box running 24/7, but for now, it works for me :cool:

Patrick S.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

Not sure whether this should be a new thread or just a continuation of this one, so here goes,
I just downloaded the TVvesity onto a Windows XP SP2 platform, and I can see TVersity as a source on our Xbox 360. I can access my media on the 360, ie play a file I select on the 360.

So far so good, what I was hoping for was to be able to control what is playing from the computer rather than the 360, ie the 360 becomes a slave to what ever I select on the computer. So far I cannot figure out how to do this, is it possible?

The benefit for me is then the TV gets turned off and I have control from the PC, my real interest for this is just for audio, obviously!!

Any thought's?

Lastly, what is this "UAC" stuff about, sorry to be a luddite on this subject,

Regards

Tim

Regards

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I guess the next best route would be a wireless adapter to output directly into the remote amplifier set up or as a last resort, connect the sound card directly to the amp.

That's life

Thanks for the reply Hugh,

Tim

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I gather, TVersity is much eaier to setup to stream to your 360 or PS3. But with ORB, you can stream a tv signal if your host computer has a tv tuner card.

None of it matters to me though, since all I want is to stream video to my Blackberry Pearl. I can't get TVersity to do it because (based on the error message I get) Telus is restricting things. Something about files being too big. This is pretty silly since I have an "unlimited" data plan with Telus. I guess it works for people in the States, though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Orb also provides access to your files from the Internet by going to their website and logging into your Orb account. From there you can start a stream (or download a file) from your home PC.

p.s. IMHO, Orb is easier to set up than TVersity. I actually am running both at the same time on my Vista PC (yes, they work without conflicting!). For some reason my PS3 couldn't reliably find my TVersity service but it seems to have more luck finding the Orb servce. The nice thing about having both is that each has its own advantages (eg. different files types sometimes look better in one over the other) and this way I get the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts