Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The four channels are expected to be available on Bell systems by December 15, 2011.

TVA Sports will be available on channels 193 (SD) and 1193 (HD) on Bell Fibe TV, with a free preview period until December 31, 2011.

Sun News will be included in the basic package and distributed to 100% of Bell subscribers outside Quebec. Sun News will be available on channels 531 (SD) and 1531 (HD).

Yoopa will be available on channels 150 (SD) and 1150 (HD). Mlle will be available on channels 194 (SD) and 1194 (HD). Free previews of Yoopa and Mlle will be offered for three months.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the info...

On my Guide (Toronto) 213 and 1213 are listed as "Sun TV Test station set up by LBS" and 531 and 1531 are listed as Sun News.

All are active and sending the same signal, I think...

Any idea what LBS is? Wikipedia mentions Liberian Broadcast Service :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wednesday Morning:

So I'm sitting here reading in two TO papers that Sun News will be available on Bell TV Dec 15th. Not only that, the Sun News channel is telling me in a screen crawl every few minutes that they will be available on Bell TV Dec 15th.

But I'm watching that Sun News Channel ON Bell Fibe TV! Four places! Two in HD!! It's been on four places all of November!

Did someone forget to unplug something? Is Bell Fibe different from Bell TV? Is it really December 16th??

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is Bell Fibe different from Bell TV?
Bell TV typically refers to satellite tv while the IPTV service is usually referred to as Bell Fibe TV. Of course, many in the media don't always get it right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a little extra info for the reason it is still showing up as 2 channels (both in HD and SD), for those that may not know the history:

Sun News launched as a specialty channel with no mandatory carriage, however they also owned CKXT, an over the air channel in Hamilton. When Sun News launched they were simulcasting on CKXT. The channel was not picked up by Bell TV (satellite), but due to regional carriage rules CKXT was included on Fibe TV in Toronto as a 'local station' available over the air.

Sun gave up its over the air license for CKXT and stopped transmitting OTA at the end of October. Bell also agreed to begin carrying the channel as a specialty digital channel on November 1st (when the OTA channel shut down). Bell Fibe is still broadcasting Sun on its old channel, I suspect just to ease the transition to the new channel. 1213 will likely go dark soon.

Just some background for those seeking context...

*edit* - just to be clear, when I say Bell agreed to carry on November 1st, I mean on Fibe. AFAIK, the Dec 15 is for Satellite (who didn't have Sun before due to them not having to carry it as a 'local station' like Fibe did) is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts