Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

961 - 970 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like this thread went dark a while ago. Anyway, my current HTPC (running MediaPortal) is very much EOL and is also starting to have some significant hardware issues. In looking to replace the system, I noticed that practically all of the aforementioned Hauppauge capture cards are now end of life as well.

Does anyone have any experience with the new series of cards listed on their website:

WinTV-QuadHD - 4 tuner capture card (ATSC / QAM)
WinTV-HVR-1265 - 1 tuner capture card (ATSC / QAM)
WintTV-HVR-1150 - 1 tuner capture card (ATSC/QAM) PCI adapter

I'm curious if they are using newer / more effective chipsets than the HVR-955Q which seems to still be in production and was one of the best rated in this thread in the past.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I would recommend an HD HomeRun device. Having a network device has some advantages over a tuner card - especially since you can put it wherever you want and you can use it from several clients, including mobile devices.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Wayne,

That is good advice, for sure. However, I found that my HDHR4 can not pick out my weakest of signals at my home, so for that particular station/antenna, I have to use a Hauppauge 950Q.

But yes, the HDHomeRun devices are top notch.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I would go with this one...
WinTV-QuadHD - 4 tuner capture card (ATSC / QAM)

It uses the same demod as the 955q and Wintv Dual HD USB devices,
(I have them both, but not the quad) an lgdt3306a demod. With ATSC 3 on the verge(?)
I don't think any ATSC demods newer than that have come out since then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a WinTV-HVR-1265, have had it for about 4 years.
It does get slightly better reception than my HDHR Connect.
That might just be because the 1265 is single tuner and Connect is 2-tuner (incoming signal is split to the 2 tuners)

I haven't tried HVR-955Q so I can't compare to that.

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1265 tuner card has started giving an error "did not find Hauppauge board"
It still seems to receive all the channels, but when I launch the signal monitor I get a little window with the error message.
It has mostly still recorded OK, but missed a couple of recordings.

Something similar happened last year. I took the board out, uninstalled the software, and then reinstalled it all, and it worked until now.
The tuner and software worked perfectly for about 4 years before that.

I will try to check if it is a software or hardware problem by leaving the card and reinstalling the software (and then vice-versa)

Any suggestions?

M

·
Registered
88 Posts
As it turns out, I was actually using an HVR-1265 and didn't know it. I'm in the process of rebuilding my media center PC, so I have temporarily moved my Montreal-oriented UHF antenna from the HVR1265 to a Hauppauge HVR-955Q. In doing so, I lost my marginal reception of CJNT (City 62.1 virt) and gained CHFD (47.1 virt) which I find odd. Neither of these are tunable when using my HDHR4-2US.

Just passing this along since I find it interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have lost two channels last year in Hamilton, Ontario area. I read that ABC and CBS with the Buffalo stations were doing some changes and had to rescan my TV / HTPC. Never got them back. These stations are not rich enough to get ATSC 3.0.

Also be careful with Windows 10 upgrade, I don't allow my HTPC to connect to the internet. But I had to do it 3 weeks ago for some tax software and W10 behind the background upgraded without my knowledge, but gave me a warning at the last minute before shutting down. I lost the Calculator software can't get it back.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I have the latest update and calculator is still there. It's just not in Windows accessories where it seems to have been replaced by Math Input Panel. Left click on Start and type calc. Right clicking on the icon will allow pinning it to Start.

961 - 970 of 970 Posts