Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

921 - 940 of 970 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't had any luck with any other TV application. Currently trying with NPVR but just getting 'device failed to start' message.

Ironically enough, I 'upgraded' the WinTV7 from 2.4 to 3.1 and it made it completely unusable, and on top of all that, things got screwy during the install and now it refuses to uninstall. Greaaat....

Strangely, at my TV (no link between it and the computer, completely separate), the Centronics tuner picks up 40.1 no problem, but doesn't assign it 69.1 as a virtual channel, I just punch in 40.1 to get it.

Update: after uninstalling WinTV7, and installing nPVR, and rebooting, I was able to get nPVR to scan for the channels. Seems to have found everything I was expecting it to. When playing though, it just shows a black screen. It shows the channel name in the frame, but no image and no sound.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Have you checked the local reception and status threads to see if other people are having similar issues? I've experienced problems like this (especially with Hauppauge products) and it can be difficult to diagnose. It can be anything from tuner overload, originating station issues, bad station PSIP data, a bad or corrupted driver to bad software. I find that some PC cards or TVs tend to be more sensitive to these issues than others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't say I've looked in all the threads, there are so many of them, but I didn't see anything specific to CJMT. Most stuff I found about that station had to do with a conflict with another station that occurred when the analog shutdown occurred.

In any case, I'm getting the hang of nPVR, it's actually pretty good. Sorted out the codecs, I can get live TV and playback of recordings now. Woo hoo!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh, and by the way, nPVR didn't have any issue with CJMT, so whatever the hangup was it was probably a WinTV (software) issue.

Now that I've used nPVR for a few days I can't believe I didn't switch sooner. WinTV is a bit easier to use when getting started. nPVR takes a bit of getting used to at first, but now I find it much better. I can scroll through an electronic program guide and initiate recordings from there rather than having to look it up in titantv and then creating a recording. Most of the recordings are recurring so it's not a huge deal of work, but nPVR has some nice touches, a well made program.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's always handy to have a second program to check signal status, TSReader is free.

You can remove all the WinTV programs and files and use only the drivers.
The IR (remote) can conflict with the MCE commands.
You can 'upgrade' to a more over all control using "EventGhost" and map keyboard commands from several programs to the remote.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm playing around with nPVR as well now. The fam is using Rokus on all our TVs so I'd like to get recorded / live TV working through them as well. As Legacy said, getting used to it. Need to tweak the codecs for recording.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You can also try SageTV. It was the best PVR software and it isn't sold any more but I think you can still download it and it works for free for two weeks or so. If you like it you may be able to buy a license from someone on their forums.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Here are some good choices for HTPC PVR software:
1. NPVR (AKA NextPVR and GBPVR.) Probably the easiest to setup and use. Requires Windows. Good basic PVR client. Nice PVR server. Audio codecs for HDTV can be an issue. If so, use AC3Filter.

2. MediaPortal. Feature rich and a good all around product. Requires Windows. Can be difficult to setup. Does not support industry media streaming standards.

3. XBMC with TV back end. Feature rich and a good all around product. NPVR, Windows Media Center, MythTV and other programs can be used as the TV PVR/server back end. TV PVR support is new so it can be buggy. Requires the setup of both XBMC plus the server back end.

4. Windows Media Center. Standard MS software with a good set of features. Very stable but MS does not appear to be actively developing it. Included with Windows 7 Pro. Costs extra with Win8Pro. Requires a guide hack for PVR use in Canada.

5. MythTV. Has Linux and Windows versions. The Windows version may be less stable. A dedicated MythBuntu version is available. Linux version may not support programs and services that require Windows.

6. OpenElec. Essentiall XBMC running on a very stripped down Linux. Very good for use on lower powered hardware that would be slow with Windows or a full Linux. May not support programs and services that require Windows. Will run from USB flash drive. (No HD required.)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Card doesn't scan Freq 14

I have 3 tuner cards
- single ATI 650 ('09)
- dual Hauppaugggge 2250 ('10)
- dual hauppauuge 2250 ('12)

Both the ATI and one Haup will scan(see) Freq. 13,14 and 17
But one Haup will scan(see) only Freq. 13 and 17.

Does that seem odd?

The Freq. 14 position is occupied by the fantastic GlobalTV Ottawa signal known region wide for it's strength and stability.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
ATSC tuners have gone through a number of revisions in the past few years. In general, newer tuners are better, some much better. I had a Hauppauge 2250 card purchased about 5 years ago that did not perform well. Newer cards appear to be better. To make matters worse, Hauppauge seem to have upgraded the ATSC tuners on their cards without revising model numbers. Everything else being equal, I would say that the older Hauppauge card is the problem. It could be suffering from overload, a problem I had with my 2250 card.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thoughts on the 2250 with the missing channel...

1) Chipset difference - is it the newer or older one that can't get 14? There appear to be at least 4 revisions of this card out in the wild.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2250

Pull the cards, look at them side by side for any differences in labels, added trace wires, etc.

2) If the 2 cards appear to be the same revision, it could be local EMI/RF or some other interference specific to the combination of equipment in the PC - try the card that can't get channel 14 without any other cards in the machine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Overload. That could be it.
just did a scan with TSReader and it bounces between -20 and -10, which oddly enough is very strong (overload).
Chances are if I got off my butt and turned the antenna (in the bedroom) 5 deg. west I'd get it.
hmmmm, should I get up?

edit: I marked the cards but I'm not going to check which is which now.
edit;edit: I tweaked the antenna but no result, best I could get -10 or +40 on TSReader (there is an elevator shaft in the way).
Hopefully things with The Great Global will change (for the better) but for now 3 out of 5 tuners should cover my recording bets.
This is a channel that I have multiple assignments for in my guide due to their ability to change SID without notice unlike no other.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
In PC years, the 2250 is ancient. It's been around for over 6 years. I'm sure its undergone a few revs in that time though. I had one of the earlier models and was not impressed. The drivers and software weren't that good and updates sometimes cost extra money. Even worse was that there were hardware bugs that caused PC bus issues. It was replaced with an HDHomerun which is much better. If you really was to go with a Hauppauge product, some people prefer the HVR-950Q which is a USB device.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, I am always interested in your thoughts. That said, I own both a 2250 and a 950Q personally, and my 2250 outperforms the 950Q in my admittedly unscientific but iterative testing. This surprised me because the 2250 has a "cable split" built in.

The HDHomerun I've no experience with though. Since the 2255 is brand new, I'm leaning that way, these things tend to evolve over time.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Wow! What a nice little card! If only it did HDMI in for un-encrypted HDMI signals. But then that would be approaching in on their Colossus line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, new to this (well for this decade, last time I used on was in ~2000 with SD cable). Has anyone tried the WinTV-HVR-2255 yet? I am debating it vs. the HDHomeRun PLUS.

My criteria are not related to having a PVR but the best signal with the least hassle. I would like to have it run on linux and Win7 as well. The ability of having the signal transmitted over the network is a plus, but would prefer better reception since that would mean more channels.

I live in Canada and the HDHomeRun PLUS is about 170 CND plus taxes while WinTV-HVR-2255 is not yet available unless I order it directly from the manufacturer website. I am leaning towards the WinTV-HVR-2255 since it states that it improves the signal which is a big plus for me. Has anyone confirmed this yet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

921 - 940 of 970 Posts