Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Some stands have cable management built into the supports/legs, etc. If not, then look for cable management on the web (ties, flexible conduit, etc). Note that you should not put signal cables (like HDMI) right next to power cables. An attempt should be made to have power cables intersect signal cables at 90 degrees and not run parallel right next to the signal cable.

The best thing is to let cables simply "Hang loosely" from where they go into the various devices. You could add a "cloth" or something similar that hangs off the back of the TV/stand to block your view of the cables which would then be behind the "cloth". The colour of the cloth would depend on your background. I used black.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for your advice. I will use black cloth to cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
One thing I find handy is cable spiral wrap. There are lots of options available on the jungle store. I find that 3/4"-1" inside diameter is usually good, depending on the cables. To hide that, use some velcro wrap, velcro ties or large adhesive cable guides to fasten it behind the post at the back of the stand or the back of the shelves. Some stands have them already. Using velcro wrap or ties, or adhesive cable guides alone may be sufficient but more would likely be required. Extra cable can be coiled behind the TV with velcro cable wrap or ties.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
@57 is correct about keeping power and signal cables apart. Power line noise can also be mitigated by using a good power bar or UPS with power line noise suppression. I'm a big fan of Tripp Lite Isobar Surge Protectors. They are a little pricey but are built to last and provide seperate RF isolation for each outlet. Good quality, shielded data cables can also help a lot.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm the fly in the ointment. All exellent advice on not bundling power and signal cables together. However, I'm doing just the opposite. I have loosely bundled with tie wraps, power cord, HDMI, RG-6 (OTA) cable, and audio cable to my amp. All is working well. It maybe be worth a try. You can always change it if problems arise.

Oh forgot to mention an ethernet CAT-6 for the internet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks all for your invaluable advice. I really apricate it. I already have Monster Power Bar which I bought back in 2007 with my Panasonic Plasma. I am using this power bar with new Sony X900H TV and another serge protect power bar for Plasma. I also ordered some cable ties and wrapping for cables to hide them on floor as well. Also I ordered some wire clips to clip wires in them. I am going to put all HDMI cables together and keep power cords separate. Here is the picture of what I ordered..

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
For short distances, bundling cables should not be an issue. It is when they get to be much longer, especially in noisy environments like office buildings. It's still a good idea to use good quality cables. They don't have to be overpriced.

Be careful with power cables. If they are overloaded they could overheat. That shouldn't be an issue with a single TV power cord. Bundling several power cables together or bundling a light duty extension cord with several items plugged into it could be a problem. I like the spiral wrap because it allows some airflow and heat dissipation. A fabric like that pictured is like an insulator so I would be hesitant to use it for power cables.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For short distances, bundling cables should not be an issue. It is when they get to be much longer, especially in noisy environments like office buildings. It's still a good idea to use good quality cables. They don't have to be overpriced.

Be careful with power cables. If they are overloaded they could overheat. That shouldn't be an issue with a single TV power cord. Bundling several power cables together or bundling a light duty extension cord with several items plugged into it could be a problem. I like the spiral wrap because it allows some airflow and heat dissipation. A fabric like that pictured is like an insulator so I would be hesitant to use it for power cables.
Thank you sir for your advice..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't use zip ties to bundle cables because in the event of any changes you have to cut them off. Waste of zip ties. There is a way to undo zip ties but much easier to cut. My preference is the lowly tie wrap. They come in different colours and are reusable.

Reactions: rookie8155

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Velcro ties are easy to remove and reusable many times. They are also more environmentally friendly since they are made of fabric.
Waste of zip ties.
... and very bad for birds and other animals when discarded by humans and accidentally eaten. The black ones are made with carbon black (as is most black plastic) which has far reaching environmental issues.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts