Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am planning to buy new Sony XBR75X900H TV this month. At present I have old Panasonic 50" TH-PX77U Plasma TV. I am using TV stand with mount for this plasma TV. I am wondering if I can use same stand to mount new 75" TV.. Will same stand work for 75" TV? I will appreciate your feedback.

·
Administrator
432 Posts
The Sony is 25 pounds less than the plasma so the only issue is what you mean by "with mount". If you mean you have it mounted from the back vs sitting on the stand, you'll need to see if it works. The Sony will be VESA 300x300.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sony is 25 pounds less than the plasma so the only issue is what you mean by "with mount". If you mean you have it mounted from the back vs sitting on the stand, you'll need to see if it works. The Sony will be VESA 300x300.
Thanks Mike for your response. Yes, I have mounted plasma and would like to mount new 75" TV on the same stand as well. As you mentioned, new Tv is about 25 pounds lighter than existing plasma. I think it would work..

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The Sony is 72.5 lb w/o the stand. The Panasonic is 61.8 LB w/o the stand. Back then stands were a lot heavier than they are now....as were TVs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sony is 72.5 lb w/o the stand. The Panasonic is 61.8 LB w/o the stand. Back then stands were a lot heavier than they are now....as were TVs.
Weight is less so I hope dimensions will not cause much issue?

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
VESA TV mount sizes are standardized so there shouldn't be any issue provided the mount supports 300x300. Most larger stands and mounts support 200x200 to 400x400 or more so it shouldn't be an issue. The other criteria is the screw size that fastens the stand to the TV. They are usually metric and most stands include a variety of commonly required screws. If the originals are not available and different size screws are required, metric screws can be purchased at some hardware stores and big box building supply stores. I see "Universal TV Mounting Hardware Kits" on the amazon site and some make specific kits. Just make sure the screws are long enough to hold the TV securely but not so long that they cause damage to the TV internally.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ExDilbert for your explanation.. I am attaching picture of the back of the stand as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just be aware that the new Sony won't heat the room on those cold winter nights like that plasma did. :cool:
LOL.. Actually, I will move plasma to my bed room. So it will be nice to have extra heater in the room. .lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why not check the SONY wall mount guide, E6241001M.pdf, on their site?
Gives reference for screws and their location, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not check the SONY wall mount guide, E6241001M.pdf, on their site?
Gives reference for screws and their location, etc.
Thanks. It is a great idea..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I am back again on TV stand question.. I checked the back of my plasma and it does not appear to be VESA compliant. So looks like I have to buy new TV stand for my new Sony x900H TV and old stand will stay with old TV.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
The stand in the picture looks like it would adjust to most mid size VESA compliant TVs. What is the issue?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stand in the picture looks like it would adjust to most mid size VESA compliant TVs. What is the issue?
My issue is this that I should be able to mount new TV on this stand but if I buy any new stand, new stand is not compatible with my old Plasma because Plasma mounting holes are not VESA compliant.
Due to this issue, I may be forced to use old stand with Plasma and new one with new TV. I wanted to use old stand with new TV and get some cheap stand for Plasma in the bedroom.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
Interesting. I have a similar VESA stand that does everything from 100x100 up to 400x400 and everything in between. 400x400 is typically only required for large or heavy TVs. Some stands have a butterfly attachment which is only good for smaller TVs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. I have a similar VESA stand that does everything from 100x100 up to 400x400 and everything in between. 400x400 is typically only required for large or heavy TVs. Some stands have a butterfly attachment which is only good for smaller TVs.
The issue with Plasma Tv is this that mount holes at the back are non standard for now days. These holes are 26" apart horizontally and 12" vertically. So no VESA mount works as per my understanding. Due to this issue, I have move this stand in my bedroom to mount Plasma and get a new one for new TV, otherwise I could have mounted new TV on the same old stand.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
That makes sense now. 26" is 660mm. Most VESA stands max out at 600mm. It looks like 800x600 is in the VESA standard but I've yet to see one for sale. The stand I referred to earlier actually does up to 600x400 and it's quite big and heavy. Some wall mount brackets do up to 800mm.

Then there is this but it doesn't look especially stable.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That makes sense now. 26" is 660mm. Most VESA stands max out at 600mm. It looks like 800x600 is in the VESA standard but I've yet to see one for sale. The stand I referred to earlier actually does up to 600x400 and it's quite big and heavy. Some wall mount brackets do up to 800mm.

Then there is this but it doesn't look especially stable.
Thanks for your feedback and advice. I bought another stand for new TV from Bestbuy today. I will move the existing stand with Plasma TV upstairs. The pain point is that I have to dismantle everything and re-connect..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is how my new stand (Whalen 3 in one stand) looks like after setup. But I need to do cable management to hid all loosely hanging wires. I will appreciate any advice on how to hide these wires. What should I buy?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts