Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
NFL Week 8

I think this is a record for the NFL with 9 of the week's 14 games available on Toronto/Buffalo OTA channels. (If you are in range of Kitchener and Erie as well, that number jumps all the way to 12 games OTA.)

This has to be the best weekend of the year for OTA sports: in addition to the NFL, the World Series is on FOX each night this week, along with the usual NHL on CBC/City Saturday night (3 games), and Saturday college football from the US (8 games).

NFL Week 8

Thursday 8pm:
Miami @ Houston - CTV2 / FOX

Sunday 9:30am:
Philadelphia @ Jacksonville - CTV

Sunday 1pm:
Washington @ NY Giants - CTV Toronto / FOX Buffalo
Denver @ Kansas City - CTV2
NY Jets @ Chicago - CBS Buffalo
-- Seattle @ Detroit - CTV Kitchener
-- Cleveland @ Pittsburgh - CBS Erie, Rochester
-- Tampa Bay @ Cincinnati - FOX Erie

Sunday 4:05/4:25pm:
Green Bay @ LA Rams - CTV / FOX
Indianapolis @ Oakland - CTV2 Ontario

Sunday 8pm:
New Orleans @ Minnesota - CTV2 / NBC

Monday 8pm:
New England @ Buffalo - ABC Buffalo

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
As a Formula 1 fan, this weekend is also one of only 4 races all year that are on OTA. The Mexican Grand Prix will be on Sunday afternoon on ABC while the NFL is on. This F1 race should decide the championship as well for Hamilton. ABC also has F1 commercial free, which is crazy compared to TSN that charges a subscription and adds commercials during the live race.

I don't usually have to make choices with my OTA PVR and what to watch live, but it's finally going to be a challenge this weekend! Looking forward to it.

If only the CFL was on OTA as well, I wouldn't need anything but my antenna this weekend. OTA only is how it should be!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Nice... Hoping there is a big enough break in the weather this weekend to get my sister's new antenna installed at her house. Another one breaking ties with the cable company...

·
Registered
84 Posts
US College Basketball on Buffalo 2-2

Raycom sports is broadcasting US Men's college basketball live on the Antenna TV channel out of Buffalo (WGRZ) 2-2.

Tonight it's Syracuse vs. UNC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yankees OTA - 2019

Yankees are on WNYO (49.1); last night was against the Royals.

Can't find TV schedule, but maybe same as WPIX Yankee schedule.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A rare Raptors game will be OTA on Sunday afternoon in Canada (and the United States as well).

Game 4 of the Raptors-76ers series will be on ABC (7.1) in the States. And even though TSN has the Canadian rights, they are also making the game available on the main CTV (9.1, 13.1) network.

I'm not aware of a similar one-off to this recently, if not, the last NBA game OTA in Canada likely would have been on CHCH in 2012 (they briefly had a package of ABC national games featuring American teams). And the last Raptors game OTA in Canada was probably in 2010 when CBC broadcasts ended, after that everything went to TSN/Sportsnet only.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I figured they did this to simsub the signal on cable/satellite, but instead CTV simulcast the TSN feed of airing the ABC feed. I guess CTV had no programming commitments and its cheaper to simulcast the TSN feed than to show a movie or weekend re-runs.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And the last Raptors game OTA in Canada was probably in 2010
No, game 4 of the Cleveland series in the 2017 playoffs was on ABC too. They've been rare, but certainly not zero appearances on ABC since 2010.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No, game 4 of the Cleveland series in the 2017 playoffs was on ABC too. They've been rare, but certainly not zero appearances on ABC since 2010.
Agreed there has been the odd Raptor game on ABC (I believe there have been a couple game 7’s over the years as well as your example.) I was talking about Canadian OTA channels though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The entire NBA Finals between Toronto and Golden State will be aired on ABC (WKBW 7.1) starting with Game 1 on Thursday night.

TSN/Sportsnet will split the games in Canada as usual, with no indication that they will simulcast any of the games OTA. Feels like a shortsighted approach by MLSE (Bell and Rogers).

·
Registered
262 Posts
CTV2 is simulcasting the ABC feed of the Raptor games that Bell owns the inventory for (games 2,4 and 6). They're doing this to be able to put ads on the ABC feed. As of now, none of the Rogers games are available OTA unless you watch the ABC feed (games 1,3,5 and 7).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
curious to see what the U.S. and Canadian ratings are for this series...The NHL might actually get higher numbers than the NBA in the U.S., and the NBA might get higher numbers than the NHL in Canada this spring...

And my wife will be watching "House Hunters"....ugh....

·
Registered
134 Posts
CityTV is now also picking up the SN games (1,3,5,7)

FWIW I don’t think there’s any chance that hockey outdraws NBA in either country.

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
@JJMoney what's the source of your info? Everyplace I checked says that Paradise Hotel and Twilight Zone will air as scheduled tomorrow. Citytv even tweeted reminders this afternoon to set your PVR for both programs, quoting the scheduled times.

Citytv will air game 3 since they had Modern Family reruns scheduled all evening on June 5.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just checked on the City website and I can confirm game 3 is on City. Looks like they are picking up the ABC feed not SN as they are airing NBA Countdown the ABC pregame show. Looks like Rogers is employing the Bell strategy so they can simsub the ABC feed and eat up extra ad revenue like Bell is doing airing the ABC feed on CTV2.

·
Registered
262 Posts
More for people to know they will be watching the American feed of the game not the Raptors on SN feed with Canadian / pro Raptors announcing

·
Registered
134 Posts
Source was raptors.com, which still shows CityTV for game 1. Looks like their original lineup is still airing in Toronto though so I’m not sure what happened there.

Maybe there are other City channels in other parts of the country picking it up?

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
Thanks @JJMoney - I checked Citytv OTA in Winnipeg and I'm getting Paradise Hotel as scheduled.

ABC would preempt The Bachelorette on June 10, so Citytv could move Beat Shazam to 8 PM ET (s-Fox) and jump into the game at 9. ABC would preempt Celebrity Family Feud on June 16 and Citytv has reruns afterwards, so they could easily air game 7.

301 - 320 of 334 Posts