Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I updated my TV to a very nice LG OLED CX - from a very old Sony Bravia (circa 15+ years old). The Sony didn't have all the software driven features of modern TV's. It just worked ... I am finding the new TV software very buggy - features that don't work e.g. auto update channels by background scan, features that occasionally work, e.g. very hit and miss at turning on other devices via HDMI ( a circa 10 year old Denon AV amp). Is it common these web o/s are quite frankly flaky at best? is it likely because the other kit in my system is (by today's standards) old and hence some incompatibilities/inconsistent behaviour?

Opinions please

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have not found my LG OLED C7 o/s to be flaky, but maybe over the years I have managed/adapted my HT to an good working state. I think I tries auto update channels but never really view channels on the TV as it is basically used as a monitor. The internal apps were used for a while but that function was replaced by an ATV4K.
The weakest part of all modern AV equipment is HDMI CEC. The standards are weak and each manufacturer has implemented it slightly differently, so it is hit or miss if it will work well. Add in a mix of old and new equipment (5 years is old) and the challenges rise.
CEC must be enabled in all devices for it to possibly work, but no guarantees. It is called by a different name. eg, HDMI Control in some devices. After it has been enabled, turn off all devices, and unplug them for a couple of minutes. Then turn them back on and hope for the best.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I have a Sharp Roku TV, which I bought a couple of years ago. The only issue I've come across is "Hollywood Suite" was one of the things it did. However, it's no longer available and I don't see any way to remove it from the menu.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have an LG OLED C7 and C9.
Neither have any software issues...in fact they are both spectacular.
Both turn on their cable boxes and associated Yamaha Aventage receivers.
Your issue could be the setup of your LG or perhaps your Denon Receiver is too old to sync through HDMI.
Post your setup with regards to syncing and updating automatically.

·
Registered
229 Posts
TV's are more like computers than ever before. The simplicity of putting on a TV and not having to mess with all the other features is gone for the most part. Menu's have gone insane and you have to read the instructions to find out where everything is, it wasn't like that before.

But, you do have more options than before, YouTube and Netflix is right there at your fingertips. The little adjustments you can make to the TV seems pretty endless... took me quite a while to setup my new Sony TV up to where I said - "now it looks good".

I remember the old days where "Picture in Picture" made me say "Wow". That's old news :geek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I Really love Android TV OS Been using a Chromecast with google TV for a year now

·
Registered
88 Posts
But, you do have more options than before, YouTube and Netflix is right there at your fingertips. The little adjustments you can make to the TV seems pretty endless... took me quite a while to setup my new Sony TV up to where I said - "now it looks good".
Well, I did have YouTube at my fingertips until the Voice search feature disappeared a few months ago.
Typing with a mouse? No thanks.

LG C7 reliability? Nope .Unable to successfully complete a pixel refresh. Nag screen every time I turn it on.
System reset? Doesn't.
It just wipes out your options.
No way to force a real system reload.

Old dumb LED set just keeps working, though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well, I did have YouTube at my fingertips until the Voice search feature disappeared a few months ago.
Typing with a mouse? No thanks.

LG C7 reliability? Nope .Unable to successfully complete a pixel refresh. Nag screen every time I turn it on.
System reset? Doesn't.
It just wipes out your options.
No way to force a real system reload.

Old dumb LED set just keeps working, though.
I don't have an OLED TV, unsure why you are replying to my post with that angst. Nobody forced you to buy new technology...

I have a 2009 Panasonic Plasma I got for free in the bedroom. Still works pretty well and is "smart' with the $40 Roku I bought for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts