Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It means that in order to reduce the median age of viewers networks are going to have to consider revamping their line-ups to include more situation comedies and less drama.
Geez. That's all we need. Isn't there enough garbage on TV already?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I don't get this at all. I am rapidly "graying" and hate most sitcoms. I thought sitcoms were produced for children and adolescents. Where's the data that they appeal to older adults?

James, do you have a link to the original article?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You're misreading what JamesK quoted. You (and I) are not in the target demographic any more. Networks want a younger audience and therefore in theory should show more sitcoms.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's not that people over 40 don't laugh, it's that they have a different sense of humour than most network sitcoms cater to. I did misread the OP but the quote was taken way out of context. The main theme of the article describes how networks are changing their programming to cater to their new, older demographic. Chalk one more change up to the Baby Boomers.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It's not that people over 40 don't laugh, it's that they have a different sense of humour than most network sitcoms cater to. I did misread the OP but the quote was taken way out of context. The main theme of the article describes how networks are changing their programming to cater to their new, older demographic. Chalk one more change up to the Baby Boomers.
Changing their programming to cater to an older demographic?

Does this mean the return of Firefly?

Yaa!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
""Dancing With the Stars," with a median audience age of 60, is the most popular series on ABC's schedule. Its youngest-skewing show, "Lost," just went off the air."

Hahahaha! This made me feel so young!

Seriously, though, when will this toxic ocean of cheap mediocrity, called "Reality TV", start to disappear, or at least stop growing. I don't care if it's "skewing" young or old, I just want it to die.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
When I was young, the "older 60s demographic" was watching The Lawrence Welk Show and Don Messer's Jubilee. If I can put up with those you can deal with DWTS. ;)

As far as ABC is concerned, their most popular show means nothing to me. They've prematurely canceled every show I've liked for about 10 years. ABC is the one major US network could disappear and not be missed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Seriously, though, when will this toxic ocean of cheap mediocrity, called "Reality TV", start to disappear, or at least stop growing. I don't care if it's "skewing" young or old, I just want it to die.
That's wishful thinking. As the television/online audience gets more and more fragmented, the networks won't be able to afford scripted shows and will have to fall back on more reality shows which are cheaper to produce. High quality drama and comedy have pretty much been relegated to the premium services, and that isn't likely to change. Fortunately, it's the "older" demographic that can afford and pay for the premium programming.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's their own fault. They had it all: Low channel placement on cable, an audience that still tuned into major programs like Seinfeld and Friends (to pick a network that has done the worst) so they had the eyeballs to promote new content, being able to be picked up virtually anywhere, for free, with a simple antenna.

They saw the audience shrink and instead of just taking somewhat smaller revenue and going forward with making quality programming they decided to start a race to the bottom with trash like Fear Factor that appealed to the worst in us as a society.

And it's worse for Canada since most US air at a later date with little to no promotion making them hard to find and some never even make it to Canada.

What's the point of even paying for cable when they don't carry the good stuff and just repeat Mike Holmes or Seinfeld over and over?

When Futurama hits Canadian TV in the fall with new eps the DVD/BR's will likely be out already.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
When Futurama hits Canadian TV in the fall with new eps the DVD/BR's will likely be out already.
I remember renting the DVDs and watching season 2 (or 3?) of Stargate Atlantis - before it was broadcast in Canada. That really killed the popularity of the broadcast version of that season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts