Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Toshiba 30HF84 from Sears, however, it won't be available until Feb. 2nd, so haven't actually taken possession yet. This is OK with me since I'm moving in a few weeks and rather get things settled first anyway. It also gives me an extra month to change my mind if anything catches my eye. I really wanted to get the 30HFX84 but it seems hard to come by. Futureshop lists it on their site but don't have any stocked and can't order it. Sears doesn't carry it. It's not on BestBuy's site. Sears was my choice since my mother is a retiree from there, so I get an added 15% off.

So I guess my first quick question is if there is anywhere that carries the HFX version, and what is the average price it's going for?

Main question, assuming I keep the HF set, I will have 2 component and one HDMI input. I will be upgrading to HD with Rogers, so I'm assuming they'll ship me this new 8300HD STB. So I could potentially hook this up via HDMI.

My DVD player is the Panasonic RP62, with the faroudja chipset. I think the newer ones had this removed, but I bought a clearance model with an older build date, and confirmed via serial number. Is this player going to be more than adequate via component to my new tv? My old TV only has S-video so never seen it on progressive. Or should I be thinking of buying a new DVD player, such as the LG with DVI and faroudja, or even higher budget, the new panasonic.

I'm pretty budget conscious and no videophile, so will the old RP62 offer me similar performance via component as some of these newer models, either via component or HDMI? I'm guessing it'll be component, since it will eliminate some wiring if I go HDMI from the STB to TV, since DVD will output digital audio to my reciever anyway.

Futureshop lists the 30HFX84 on their website at $1199 but it's a non sale price. I paid after tax $970 for the HF version. But would be willing to spend a couple hundred more for the HFX which would mean I'd need to find it for something under $1100 if possible.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. I'm in toronto in case I didn't update my profile. Well...in Brampton for another 3 weeks at least.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The HFX adds very liitle, so for the difference in price, I personally feel you're better with the HF at the price you got. A couple hundred more is really 20% of the value of the TV.

You probably won't see any difference at all with the 8300 connected via either the component or HDMI input, but using HDMI will free up a more common component video input (for a video game system, for example).

Your RP62 is certainly more than up to the task. I doubt you'd see much, if any, difference with one of the HD upscaling DVD players connected through HDMI. No offense, but the TV is just too small to resolve that kind of added detail, especially at a normal viewing distance.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ElPietro said:
Thank you sir, was hoping I didn't have to go out and spend more money. :)
We never actually have to go out and spend more money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts