Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market this November once the holiday sales start to upgrade my main tv. My current tv is from 2016 Panasonic DX900 and I’ve narrowed it down to two new tv’s, either the LG G2 or the Samsung QN90B and I saw the 65” G2 today and it sure looked small in person even compared to my current 65”, I realize that it’s basically just the screen nowadays but I might have to rethink going with another 65” and go with a 75” Samsung QN90B. I won’t pay what they want for the 77” G2 but I’ll have a better idea once the Nov/Black Friday sales are announced. I’ve narrowed it down to those two since I need the gaming features they support and I want as much peak brightness as I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Maybe you're too used to the big screen! ;)

One thing I notice when I bought my last TV is the bezel is much smaller, so that the TV looks smaller, even though the screen is 43" compared to the previous 42".

BTW, when I was a kid, we had a 21" TV and that was considered large back then.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I’m in the market this November once the holiday sales start to upgrade my main tv. My current tv is from 2016 Panasonic DX900 and I’ve narrowed it down to two new tv’s, either the LG G2 or the Samsung QN90B and I saw the 65” G2 today and it sure looked small in person even compared to my current 65”, I realize that it’s basically just the screen nowadays but I might have to rethink going with another 65” and go with a 75” Samsung QN90B. I won’t pay what they want for the 77” G2 but I’ll have a better idea once the Nov/Black Friday sales are announced. I’ve narrowed it down to those two since I need the gaming features they support and I want as much peak brightness as I can get.

There could be a slight difference in TV size from brand to brand. Have you noticed that the box never says 65 inch? It says "65 inch class" or sometimes just "65 class". That use of the word class allow manufacturers to make sets that may be just a bit smaller or larger than an exact 65 inch on the diagonal. Perhaps if you put a tape measure to your old 65 incher and that new one you saw in the store you would find the new one to be actually smaller although the difference would likely be less than an inch. Just a suggestion to explain why you perceived one set to be bigger than the other.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I always wondered as a kid we learned Canada uses the Metric system and the USA uses imperial, but why do we measure TV and Monitor sizes in Inches? is it because we live next to the USA so we adopted their measurements? Do they use Inches in other parts of the world too? Just curious? But on a side note, Smaller TV screen sizes are very much affordable, its once you go past 50 or 55, you start to pay a premium for the TV.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
@17671

We were measuring TV sizes in inches long before we switched to the metric system. I guess the habit stuck. There are only 2 other countries, both 3rd world, that haven't switched to the metric system. The U.S. is officially metric, but uses imperial. Jimmy Carter had a plan to switch, but Reagan killed it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an old 720p Panasonic 26" LCD tv from 2006 around here , the screen is small compared to a modern 32" set.
This old set still works, but the power supply is not working as well as it used to there is some screen artifact noise that can be seen on fast moving scenes due to noise in the power supply , this screen ran clean 10 years ago.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I always wondered as a kid we learned Canada uses the Metric system and the USA uses imperial, but why do we measure TV and Monitor sizes in Inches? is it because we live next to the USA so we adopted their measurements? Do they use Inches in other parts of the world too? Just curious? But on a side note, Smaller TV screen sizes are very much affordable, its once you go past 50 or 55, you start to pay a premium for the TV.
Most if not all of our TVs are made overseas for the U.S. market. That's why most of the aps that come pre-installed rarely if ever have any Canadian "content".

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 2009 Panasonic Plasma 42" actually measures 41.5" screen surface diagonally... with 2" Bezels (not diagonally). The bottom bezel is even bigger, around 3.75".

My 2020 Sony LED is 55" but measures 54.5" with less than 1/2" of bezel all around the TV.

There really isn't much difference other than the Bezels, the thickness and the weight. I find the TV's look smaller in the store as you have less reference points, bring a 65" into your House then you see how physically large the TV really is when you install it.

And I'm glad they keep the TV's in standard measurment as everyone knows Feet and Inches, if someone tells you a TV is 146.7 cm, do you know what 'class' it is in? I was looking for a Kitchen Table and a few ads had Metric... it's confusing, 1473 x 976.19mm, you can keep it. Many people don't even know how to use a tape measure... they'll put "My TV is 41" x 22".

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
@Gibsons

Measuring in cm would be like everything else we measure. We'd get used to it.
BTW, at one time, sets in Canada and U.S. had different size screens for the exact same set. This was because Canadian measure included the curvature of the screen, whereas the Americans used the straight line distance. Of course, going way back, we measure corner to corner because the original picture tubes were round and measured by diameter. With the mask in front, to make it more or less rectangular, that worked out to corner to corner of the picture area.

·
Registered
215 Posts
@Smokin Joe Just throwing this out there but... ever consider a 4K projector instead? Means you can dictate what size you want on any given day. Regular TV, make it 50 inches. Sports game, make it 70 inches. Top Gun Maverick... 100 inches. Only a few inches away from the Danger Zone.

Just saying the idea of having one is endless. :cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
@Gibsons

Measuring in cm would be like everything else we measure. We'd get used to it.
BTW, at one time, sets in Canada and U.S. had different size screens for the exact same set. This was because Canadian measure included the curvature of the screen, whereas the Americans used the straight line distance. Of course, going way back, we measure corner to corner because the original picture tubes were round and measured by diameter. With the mask in front, to make it more or less rectangular, that worked out to corner to corner of the picture area.
So the Toronto Maple Leafs measure their players in CM, since when? I've never watched a game and seen CM mentioned, ever. They'll say, 6'2", 200 when they talk about them.

Up to you though, you can measure anything you want in CM and calculate the Inches if needed. Don't know why this is relevant to TV's in North America that are measured in Inches.

Screens aren't round anymore, they're flat.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
@Gibsons

I remember when metric conversion came in. We went from measuring temperature in °F to °C. We went from miles to Km, gallons to litres and more. For the most part we adapted, though some things were slow to change. There are a lot of adults around now, who were born after conversion and have never bought a quart of milk. Why are they so often forced into the old measure, as in your example?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Smokin Joe Just throwing this out there but... ever consider a 4K projector instead? Means you can dictate what size you want on any given day. Regular TV, make it 50 inches. Sports game, make it 70 inches. Top Gun Maverick... 100 inches. Only a few inches away from the Danger Zone.

Just saying the idea of having one is endless. :cool:
I haven’t considered projectors as I’m looking for the HDMI 2.1 gaming features as priority 1 as I game on both consoles although I can go months without turning them on I do want all the features when I do. That really only leaves me with LG or Samsung and if I go LG G2(which seems likely at this point) I’ll stick with 65” as I don’t want to pay what they want for the 77” if I go Samsung I can probably go 75” but would be just as happy with the 65”. I took a closer look at my current 65” and I see where the difference is in the G2 as it’s literally just the screen only where my Panasonic has a slight bezel which I thought was really slim back in 2016.

·
Registered
344 Posts
@Gibsons

I remember when metric conversion came in. We went from measuring temperature in °F to °C. We went from miles to Km, gallons to litres and more. For the most part we adapted, though some things were slow to change. There are a lot of adults around now, who were born after conversion and have never bought a quart of milk. Why are they so often forced into the old measure, as in your example?
Because we're so US dominated that we adhere to many of their customs. If you watch NFL and see someone's 6'6" and 330, you immediately know what it is. You immediately know the standard Doorway is 6'8", then look over - "He's Huge".

I took Metric all throughout school and still learned all the old style stuff from my Parents. Also watched mostly American programming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts