1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Windows 7 Command Prompt

STEP 1: Configure the "hosted" interface:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=letmein9

STEP 2: Configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Open up the networking control panel. Select the interface that currently has Internet connection (like your Ethernet or normal wifi), enable "Sharing", and then select the special "hosted" interface.

STEP 3: Start it
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
or use Connectify Software

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This functionality in Windows 7 is new to me and would have been very useful on a recent trip, had I known it existed.

I have a few computers with Windows Vista (including a Laptop) that I am considering upgrading to Windows 7. This functionality would seal the deal for me since it would let me use my iPad Wifi is some situations where my laptop has hard wired connectivity only.

So is anyone out there doing this or using the COnnectify software and does it work well?

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
I have set up ICS in the past (all Ethernet) but I was not able to figure it out in Windows 7 using wifi. I don't use Windows 7 enough just yet.

But with this solution can you have your PC using the wifi card, share it and have another device using the PC Ethernet card to access the internet?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Connectify Video explaining it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Right now I've got it sharing a wireless connection, just over the same wireless. It assigns it a separate IP. I see no reason why it wouldn't treat an Ethernet wired connection different.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's something I wish older windows had built in, now I use OSX and sharing is easy to configure and built into the OS.
Used it today for iPhone - USB - MacBook - Ethernet - MacBook.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
nice, be nice to have known about this awhile ago

good find, I'll have to remember to build a little script for this for those rare times i need them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts