Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Bell Turbo Stick u998 hardware, on the $65/month 5Gb plan. I'm very close to a Bell tower (less than 1Km) and get excellent service all of the time.

My question is this.. should I move to a Turbo Hub?

Reason I ask this question, is that the Turbo Hub offers a similarly priced plan $60/month, but would provide me 2x the consumption at 10Gb. I definitely could use the additional usage as I currently monitor my usage and typically have to 'shut down' internet use near the end of my monthly billing period to stay below my 5Gb.

What am I going to lose moving to a Turbo Hub? Seems like my u998 offers "up to 21Mbs" and the Turbo Hub is "up to 7.2Mbs".

Am I going to notice a performance hit? Really, I'm not seeing greater than 7.2Mbs down right now anyways..

I appreciate any feedback that will help me with my decision.

Oh.. any feedback on voice on the Turbo Hub would be great too. What's the purpose of tapping my phone line into the Hub?

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a bit more reading on the voice side, think I understand that now. Sounds like for $30/month I can get the same 'home phone' type features that I'm currently paying $37/month, except I'll be using the mobile network.

All in all it looks like a $12/month savings and internet consumption going from 5Gb to 10Gb if i switch from my u998 stick to a Turbo Hub.

Just need some feedback on any performance or technical differences I might see moving from the stick to hub.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been using a Turbo Hub for a rural application, and I'm liking it. I'm far from the tower, and need an external antenna and booster, but I get 2.0 - 2.5 Mbps down and 0.4 - 0.5 Mbps up, depending on signal quality, which varies over the day.

My package is $35-$45-$60 for 3GB-5GB-10GB of data, plus $20 for phone. It's a sliding scale for internet, with $60 for data over 5GB up to 10GB. Be careful - there's a steep price per MB over 10GB in a month, so you want to be certain you'll stay under that, but I think it's the same or less that the Turbo Stick price plan.

I tried my Turbo Hub in the city (Ottawa) before taking it to the lake, and it was fast. Up speed was >3Mbps! Down speed better than home cable internet (14 Mbps? I forget). I believe performance depends in part on the capabilities of your local tower.

One problem I'm having at the lake is that my PC (Dell laptop) is dropping internet connection from time to time. Just briefly (usually less than a minute), but it can happen a handful of times per hour, so it gets annoying. Game play and chat or voice apps get disconnects too, usually. I haven't figured out a cause/effect yet, but I didn't see this problem on my satellite internet link prior to installing the turbo hub. I don't know if this is signal strength related or not - I did read another post on that same problem, but can't find it again (another forum I think).

My voice package is basic phone, no extras. I think you can get call display, visual call waiting, voice mail, and a couple of others for $10/month more, or $20/month more with an LD plan (total $40/month for phone). Caution, LD rate is $0.40/minute without a plan. I use an LD card for $0.04/minute.

It worth switching if you don't have the drop-out problem, unless: 1) you have a contract penalty to deal with, or 2) you want to be mobile with it. The Turbo Hub will go with you , but it's large, and must be plugged in, so it's not at all convenient like the Turbo Stick.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts