Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eastlink (Delta Cable) have told me today that one of my PVR tuners has failed and can not be fixed. I had originally purchased the unit, a Motorola 6400, in Nov07 and now they are telling me there is no warranty and it can not be repaired. I can still use the one tuner and with it still have live recording features but because the PVR does a swap when you request a recording the requested recording does not work because of the failed tuner. Please feel free to comment on both the commercial/customer service issue and/or the technical issues. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,186 Posts
I had a 6416 with Shaw that had a similar problem. Analog channels on tuner 2 didn't work, but digital channels were fine. Since Shaw transmitted the analog channels as a digital overlay, I was able to get them to switch me to the all-digital channel map. I then received the lower "analog" channels as digital and everything worked.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I thought I'd mention it in case you have the same problem.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I was renting a 6412 III and I was having problems with one of the tuners, when it would switch from an HD channel back to analog, it would go green and crash, eventually after a couple tech visits, and through a used 6416 and finally a brand new 6416, works fine now.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The (annoying) workaround for making sure your 1 tuner still records properly is to either schedule a 2nd recording to start before the one you really want (thereby having it start recording on the bad tuner to start) or always making sure that you swap to the bad tuner when you're done watching tv.

Tuner issues can be fixed. The cost is generally less than $100, of which a good portion is shipping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Failed Tuner Workaround

Thanks for the workaround. I had earlier tried finding the same show on two channels and recording both, but your workaround is much better and easier. Thanks!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts