Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BigSoccer:

Browsing TSN's website last night, stumbled on their listing of Champions League 1st leg Playoff LIVE broadcast on Aug 17th on TSN2 as well as the Champions League Highlight Show on TSN at 1:30am ET overnight.

A Google search found ZERO mention of the CL returning to TSN. As we know, Sportsnet/Setanta own the rights in Canada so this is a sublicensing deal. Most likely 3rd or 4th pick. I think its huge news. Why TSN is not advertising it is beyond me.

Most Canadians (and viewers of) don't have good memories of TSN when they held the CL rights prior to this term as they would always preempt matches with Curling during the winter months. But this is good news, in my opinion, as now Canada (who lacks the DirecTV-type coverage) may have up to 5 live matches on any given match day - and all in HD: Sportsnet shows 2 matches through their regional networks; Setanta 1 match (followed by replays of all others not broadcast live); now TSN brings a 4th match; and the launch of Sportsnet One could theoretically bring a 5th match into the picture.

If someone can find an article confirming this, please post. I'm just making conclusions based on TV listings.....

SA
www.socceraction.info

I did find the link on TSN confirming above:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/on_tsn/?show=soccer&tz=0

hawk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Possibly just for the Champions League QUALIFYING stages. I'm sure Sportsnet and Setanta will keep the group games to themselves. It's possible TSN has bought the rights to show a highlights package, but not the actual group games.

Then again, the way soccer coverage in Canada is being spread around, it's difficult to know who is showing what, and when!!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I can confirm that TSN/TSN2 will air Tuesday Champions League games along with Setanta all season. Sportsnet and Setanta will air Wednesday matches. The only thing that isn't clear is whether it will go until the quarter finals or semi finals and whether games can air on TSN, or only TSN2. So a quick rundown

Tuesday: TSN/TSN2 (1st and maybe 3rd pick) & Setanta (2nd pick)
Wednesday: Sportsnet (1st and maybe 3rd pick) & Setanta (2nd pick)

Sportsnet One may be involved as well, but I don't know what games they will get yet.

·
Banned
844 Posts
This is getting ridiculous, how many damn channels are people going to need in order to watch all this soccer?! EPL is spread over 4 channels and now CL will be spread over 3 channels.

I don't expect to see any coverage on TSN, I think this is all TSN2, just like the EPL.

·
Registered
689 Posts
CL, EPL, and Serie A are spread out over as many as three channels each. The French Ligue 1 and Europa Cup on a channel (EuroWorld Sports) no one seems to have. We now await Gol TV on La Liga: Full coverage (unlike most of last year) or spread out over several platforms, I mean, channels?

(Foot)Ball of Confusion (That's What the World is Today).:confused:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Europa Cup games on Telelatino. That's another channel. Well....I remember the days when NO channels carried European soccer...:)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Well if you have Setanta, TSN2, Sportsnet and Sportsnet One you get all EPL and Champions League games. So far The Score is the only confirmed carrier of Serie A.

I don't find it too bad because I need TSN2 and The Score anyway for many sports, including soccer and I already get TSN and Sportsnet in my basic package.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Europa Cup games on Telelatino. That's another channel.
Are you sure? At the TLN website it is not clear that the games will be on TLN as well as EuroWorld Sports, which is a TLN channel.

Euroworld Sports is on 425 on Rogers in Toronto.
So far no word from Shaw Direct on when it will be made available.

I don't find it too bad because I need TSN2 and The Score anyway for many sports, including soccer and I already get TSN and Sportsnet in my basic package.
True, it is just a case of getting used to the changes, and getting EuroWorld and Sportsnet One.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Andrew see the Shaw Direct new channels for more on Sportsnet One, it sounds promising for Sportsnet One to be added and maybe Euroworld Sports too.

As long as Sportsnet One is in the same packages as TSN2 (which it should be), then it won't be a problem either. Since FSWC is even more useless than before, I just view EuroWorld as a replacement for it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
TSN press release today

TSN and TSN2 combine to broadcast more than 20 games per year from the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE over the next two seasons

Toronto, ON (August 11, 2010) – With Canada’s fascination with international soccer at an all time high, TSN confirmed today the greatest soccer players in the world once again have a home on TSN and TSN2 as UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE action returns for the next two seasons. Together the networks will broadcast more than 20 games throughout each of the 2010-11 and 2011-2012 seasons, beginning this Tuesday, Aug. 17 with the first leg of the Playoff Round featuring with BSC Young Boys vs. Tottenham Hotspur on TSN2 at 2:30 p.m. ET.

TSN and TSN2 will broadcast games on Tuesdays from each of the two legs of the Playoff Round as well as two games from every Matchday Tuesday from September to December. Coverage continues in 2011 with one game every Tuesday through the Round of 16 and into the Semifinal round.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is good news IF TSN broadcast their match live alongside TSN2. The press release does NOT specify 2 "live" matches each Tuesday, so I'm afraid that the TSN match may be on delayed basis on at least some Tuesday's.

Having said that, TSN's online schedule has both, TSN and TSN2, with LIVE matches on Aug. 24th (2nd leg of playoff round). A good start.

hawk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I suspect that TSN and TSN2 will both have live matches (1st and 3rd pick) every Tuesday. The only weeks that TSN won't have a live match will be if there is some major live event on that week (Scotties, Brier, World Curling Championship etc).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Euroworld Sports is on 425 on Rogers in Toronto.
EWS is taking the HD signal and squishing it into 4:3 aspect ratio making everyone look vertically streched. They've been showing mostly Europa League re-runs so far, non stop.

I usually override the nasty feed and stretch the signal out with the function on my TV so it's watchable

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just hope that Tommy "auld onion bag" Smyth won't be doing commentary on any of the games. Ray Hudson on Gol TV is better than him!! Ai ai!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hudson and Smyth are both bad. And yes we will probably get to hear Smyth quite a few times this year, but it will be Ross Dyer and Shep Messing doing Young Boys-Spurs on Tuesday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts