Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Cybulski is psyched to be hosting this show. “What a great opportunity to be talking sports for 3 hours a day AND getting paid for the privilege” he said. He is, also realistic with respect to the challenge ahead and the competition down the road. “This is the largest city in Canada. There are so many choices for the sports appetite. There’s TSN, Sportsnet and all the various channels they own. There is LeafsTV, Raptors TV, the Score. In radio, there really has been only one choice. I think it will be nice to offer an alternative, I think people will like having a choice.”

In addition to the “& Company” part of the show Cybulski will be joined by Gareth Wheeler who will be playing the dual role of producer/update person.

I am also told that Tim Preston will be producing the morning show with Mike Richards.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/tsn-radio-lineup/10356

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Cybulski was named as TSN’s afternoon drive host last Thursday, culminating months of speculation and false leads. Where TSN promptly wrapped up its morning man Mike Richards last January, the search for an afternoon host dragged on for months.
Having worked for FAN 590 program director Rob Gray in Vancouver and with executive David Mitchell in Ottawa radio, Cybulski was a known commodity. Having the Algonquin College graduate already under TSN contract didn’t hurt, either. Adding Gareth Wheeler, formerly of Sun TV’s The Grill Room, as producer and other voice squared the circle.
But why should Cybulski feel he can knock McCown off his perch when the best efforts of Bill Watters on AM640 could only put a minor dent in the ratings for McCown’s Prime Time Sports? “I don’t see it as a competition so much as it’s a choice,” the 37-year old says. “We have a wide variety of sports TV networks these days all surviving, why not on radio? I think we can a bring a fresh perspective to the market. There’s lots of room for creativity in this slot to talk more than just sports.”
Radio insiders are watching who will have the hammer between corporate cousins TSN and CHUM when it comes to running TSN Radio 1050. They were mandated by the new Bell bosses to mount a sports radio station and to work out the power-sharing details. TSN has an unbroken string of success in TV sports broadcasting; CHUM has the failed TEAM Network concept (with its – mostly – thriving orphans in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver). Hmm.

Certain factions want the studios to be located in TSN’s Agincourt office; CHUM would prefer it to stay in its downtown haunt. (After some “discussions,” studios are reportedly being prepared at TSN.) CHUM has the radio expertise, TSN the sports know-how. Is the wandering path to an afternoon host indicative of the management style or is the bold grab for Richards, a former Rogers employee, a sign of things to come?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor.../?utm_medium=Feeds: RSS/Atom&utm_source=Bruce

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
“Before” was when Richards was basically comic relief at a variety of Toronto radio stations, including the FAN 590 and short-lived Team 1050. “Now” he’s the star attraction in TSN’s roll of the dice, using radio to help win its escalated battle with the Rogers empire.

It’s a big gamble in a field dominated by the FAN, but Richards says he and TSN are up to the task.

When TSN Radio 1050 makes its debut at 5:30 a.m. on April 13, Richards says listeners will hear an edgier host who will rewrite the way sports radio is done here.
when the show makes it to TV, they’ll get plenty of attractive women, too, because Richards wants the televised version of his show to resemble Howard Stern’s.
There’s no doubt he’s breaking the mould. He won’t have a co-host, a rarity on sports radio here, and he’s adamant that there will be few if any calls from Joe on a car phone.
What Richards says will really set him apart is the quality of his guests. He promises he’ll have the biggest people in the business, using the combined power of TSN and his agent, J.P. Barry.

“I want people to look forward to tomorrow’s guests — and it’s not just hockey,” he says. “I want the big name of the day.
If that sounds like brave talk, it’s because Richards isn’t just aiming to beat his old employers at the FAN, whose offer to be its new morning man he rejected last year because “the money obviously wasn’t very good, but it was more than the whole thing seemed very unsettled.” He intends to be at the top of all adult male-oriented stations.

“We’re taking a run at everybody,” he says. “I’m being brought in to win the demographic. The FAN is in seventh place. If I ever thought that I was content to be sixth, I’d be out of this business.

“Look, there are 20 stations here. We’re coming in at number 21. I have 20 enemies right now and I have to take them out.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tvrad...chards-returns-to-town-for-tsn-radio-gig?bn=1

Looks as if the plan for Richards to be on TSN2 in the fall is still on pace...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
TSN announced reporter James Cybulski would be their chosen voice in what looks to be the toughest front in their radio confrontation with Sportsnet’s FAN 590.
Starting at 4 p.m., the three-hour show will be called Cybulski & Company and it will feature the 36-year-old often joined by a rotating cast of TSN’s experts.
Despite a 15-year-plus professional career, Cybulski is a relative blank slate to most listeners, and if he’s got a defining characteristic from his TV work so far, it’s his enthusiasm. As well, he’s much younger than the old lion that rules the afternoon airwaves, so it’s very clear his choice is an attempt to draw in a different demographic.
http://www.thestar.com/article/968449--mudhar-familiar-voice-james-cybulski-heads-to-tsn-radio

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I am sure TSN is aiming to have the best opening day possible. I haven’t heard this from anyone, but with Richards throwing his agent’s name in the ring the other day, I am putting my money on a Mats Sundin radio appearance on the Richards show. The hype won’t stop there. If you thought the panel on Sportsnet’s the crisis was large, I expect all hands on deck on both stations on TSN’s opening day. On the guest side it will be no holds barred with big names on the menu in both the sports world and non sports world. Seriously, it sounds like all kinds of favors are being called in to try to get the biggest names for the 13th.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/norm-rumack/10379

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Interesting changes in TSN Radio Schedule, maybe no more soft launch?

Busy day for TSN. Bryan Hayes is moving over to TSN radio to host a show from 10-1pm. Also, Jim Tatti, yes Guy, will be hosting an nhl playoff radio show, nightly on TSN radio with scott macarthur.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/bryan-hayes-jim-tatti-land-tsn-radio/10397
I’m told Bruce Arthur has agreed to join TSN for radio and TV. Look for Arthur to become part of Cybulski and Company in addition to other radio and tv shows/panels.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/bruce-arthur-to-join-tsn/10395

This is interesting, because TSN had previously announced that Dan Patrick and That's Hockey 2 Day would air and Patrick's show runs from 9am-noon and That's Hockey was announced for noon-1pm. With Richards in the morning running till 10am, the theory was Richards till 10am, Patrick joined in progress, then That's Hockey. Now it looks as if they may be scrapping their planned soft launch, dumping Patrick and perhaps pushing That's Hockey to 1pm?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I’m told that Hayes will be on TSN radio from 10-12 until Koules playoff show ends at which time Hayes will go the extra hour until 1pm.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/toronto-sports-media-sports-radio-5/10399

So the REVISED opening day line-up appears to be...

6am-10am: Mike Richards
10-am-noon - Bryan Hayes
noon-1pm - That's Hockey 2Day hosted by Steve Kouleas
1pm-4pm - Jim Rome
4pm-7pm - James Cybulski show with co-host Bruce Arthur
7pm-6am - Live Sports/Scott McArthur Hockey Show/ESPN Radio depending on the given night

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Bryan Hayes exits TALK 640 Toronto for a new gig (10-2) with TSN 1050 Toronto. Jim Tatti will host a nightly NHL playoff show.

Additionally, Bruce Arthur will be a co-host on James Cybulski's afternoon show. Arthur had been filling in on FAN 590.
MMU has it that Hayes will be on from 10-2? Is that a typo?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm curious about Mike Richards. There was a host back when the Fan first became all sports named Mike Richards and he co-hosted with Norm Rumack quite often (the Richards and Rumack show). Then he disappeared, and a few years later, I started hearing what to me sounded like his voice and deadpan humour on CFRB, under the name Jim Richards. He's still there, as I listened to his replay late last night while he covered for John Tory. I could swear it's the same guy. So, now I'm curious. Is the Mike Richards coming to TSN Radio the same guy from the old Fan days, or am I "misremembering" the guy's name from Richards and Rumack and it actually was Jim Richards? Or are Mike and Jim related, which could explain the similarity?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
It's actually two different people! Mike Richards was on the Fan in Toronto like you remember. He had a show with Derringer. He then moved to the TEAM in Toronto and when that failed he went to the Fan in Calgary where he had the top rated show for awhile. Fan Toronto wanted him back and he said no, then TSN came calling and he said yes.

Jim Richards was actually working at The Fan at the same time as Mike. No relation. He did the overnight show and a weekend show as well when need-be. He is the one who is now at CFRB.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, that's funny LOL. I guess because I don't live in Toronto and was only able to listen to 1430 infrequently, I wasn't able to distinguish between the 2 guys. I heard "Richards" and just thought they were the same guy LOL. It does make sense that I heard Jim Richards more though because it just dawned on me that CKSL 1410 here in London used to simulcast Fan 1430 during the overnights and on weekends when 1410 tried that brief talk period back in the mid 90's.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
TSN Radio 1050 continues to ramp up its radio lineup with the addition of Bryan Hayes, new host of a weekday sports talk show from 10am to Noon ET.
The first edition of his show airs Wednesday, April 13, the launch date of TSN Radio 1050.
Hayes joins TSN Radio 1050 from AM640, where he hosted two sports talk shows, interviewing major sports personalities from the NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, UFC, and NCAA.
http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=361377

Hayes is coming over from 640. The two stations must have worked out a deal considering he will have been on 640 less than a week before he appears on 1050.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Bryan Hayes makes the move from AM 640 as it prepares to jettison its experiment with the Maple Leafs rights. Hayes is getting 10-noon after Mike Richards. (So much for syndicated U.S. hosts Jim Rome and Dan Patrick, eh?)
TSN Radio has lured writer Bruce Arthur, who’d been a regular guest on then FAN’s Prime Time Sports, to be a co-host once a week with James Cybulski on its afternoon drive show Cybulski & Co.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...erry-the-latest-media-darling/article1976782/

I have a feeling that Dan Patrick is still going to be on TSN Radio at the start. All mentions of Jim Rome have been removed in the last 24 hours from www.tsn.ca/radio/ while Patrick still remains. I think we get Patrick from 1-4pm on tape delay until they figure out a mid-day host.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wonder how much longer we will have FAN 590 available on Bell TV before they drop it in favour of TSN Radio.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts