Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I think the Vancouver situation is the one to watch. Don Taylor is Sportsnet's most visible host and he's a TEAM 1040 afternoon drive co-host. That afternoon drive show (Pratt & Taylor) has massive ratings, especially viewed through demographics. Will TSN or Rogers put the screws to Taylor forcing him to choose? Which will he? If he stays with TV, TEAM's afternoon drive numbers will suffer. It takes the right co-host to take the edge of Pratt and make the show work and they went through a few before Taylor agreed to do it. If he chooses radio, other than Canucks hockey, Sportsnet might as well go black around here for all the viewers who will bother. No one watches Connected unless Taylor's hosting.

Most of TEAM 1040's regular guests are TSN or CBC associated (only Doug MacLean comes to mind as a Rogers guy) so that won't play out the way it does in other cities ... but the host thing is pretty interesting with Taylor.

It won't matter for the rest of the hosts. Ray Ferraro's a TSN guy. Matt Sekeres is a G&M guy. Blake Price is a CTV guy. Same with Scott Rintoul.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Outside of CKCE-FM, CHUM (CTV) doesn't have much of a presense in Calgary. I can't see them switchign CKCE over to the talk radio format, so it would be up to CHUM to either ask the CRTC for an AM broadcast license, to purchase one of the AM stations or license the station out. CFFR won't change as its Rogers and CBR is CBC. That leaves CHQR or CKMX of Astral and Cours ownership (CKLI isn't on the air). Astral does have The Team name it licensed from CHUM in 2001, so I guess there is a chance it can wind up there and replace the AM country station...

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
1060 AM is probably the second most listened to station next to country 105 and 910, so it's going no where. QR77 is just a part of the Shaw umbrella, and is too right wing popular to be taken off the air.

I guess Im SOL save for internet.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
JohnnyCanuck, I agree he is in a bad spot. Same as Watters was in basically. He had the option of going TV or radio, chose TV and now his radio show is probably going to be cancelled. It will be interesting to see...

I also wonder if CHUM will decide to include CKLW-AM as part of the TSN Radio Network. It's basically being wasted right now outside of a few produced local hours. Per Wikipedia, CKLW is picked up clearly as far off as Toledo and Cleveland, Lansing, Michigan, and even the outskirts of Cincinnati, Ohio. It can also be had in London, ON and up to Hamilton. It would give TSN radio a reach of basically all of Eastern Ontario between the Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor signal and it would also raise some awarness of the TSN brand and its content into parts of the USA as both CKLW and CHUM are both at the 50kw max.

CKLW also has Primetime Sports at 6pm everyday. I can't see that lasting much longer...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since then, he has been silent about what he led him to take on his former employers at Rogers Media Inc. – as early as April. (The Mike Richards Show will be heard on 1050 AM in Toronto and, by September, on the TSN2 TV channel weekday mornings.)
Richards would not discuss contract matters, but Usual Suspects has learned that Rogers executives failed to get Richards to sign a non-compete clause, which freed the 47-year-old to make the move to TSN immediately. He’s already consulting with TSN officials about the format and staff of the show he’ll host from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Eastern).
On the same topic, executives are still assessing a challenger to take on McCown. TSN Radio program director Rob Gray is reportedly canvassing his old Vancouver station, TEAM 1040, for candidates to work in Toronto on the startup.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-for-mike-richards/article1885703/?cmpid=rss1

·
Registered
379 Posts
CKLW has high ratings in Windsor, hovering between a 17 and 19 share over the past year - very high considering the sheer number of stations available there. I would see it more likely for CKWW 580, also owned by CTVgm to go to TSN Radio. They have an oldies format that is already available from WOMC across the river.

AM 1060 in Calgary had a 3.1 rating in the Fall 2010 ratings, compared with 10.0 at QR77. There is definitely room for growth for 1060. That said, I'm not sure Calgary can sustain two sports stations.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The reason I had suggested CKLW is because they are at 50kw and the contour can reach all the way up to London and the outskirts of Hamilton, which - along with CFGO - would make TSN radio available from the top to the bottom of the Hwy 401, basically covering all of Eastern Ontario. Also the CKLW format has a bunch of spots that are syndicated/non-local, including Bob McCowns Prime Time Sports which I am sure will be dropped. I don't see why CTVgm would pay for the programing rights for those shows when TSN Raido will give them 'free' content.

As for CKWW, what is their ERP? If it is compareable then I am sure it could do as well, or perhaps even a format flip with music coming back to CKLW.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Greg Brady discusses TSN Radio

As for his gig at the FAN 590, Brady says he’s looking forward to the challenge from TSN Radio, which starts in April.

“It’s both exciting and scary at the same time,” he said. “But [Rogers Media Inc. president] Keith Pelley and Scott Moore [president of broadcasting] are winners. They didn’t come here to finish second. They’ll do what needs to be done to keep us No. 1.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...uper-bowl-webcasts/article1893794/?cmpid=rss1

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Richards to go from 6-10am

As for the current host. I don’t know him. I don’t listen to his show. I personally feel badly for him. I’ve said this numerous times, I don’t think he is in a position to succeed. I think he isn’t doing the show he was hired to do. He is much better suited for the 9 a.m. slot. That’s just my opinion. As for his show being expanded, well that would surprise me. I hear that the Richards show on TSN Radio is going to be on from 6-10. The Fan morning show is only on until 9. Maybe they are talking about expanding it until 10. Who knows.
My overall sense is that the new powers that be at Rogers will want a pure sports show starting the morning against whatever TSN Radio is going to have. It’s nothing personal, just a hunch.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/friday-toronto-sports-media-roundup/10127

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Publically, no one has said anything about other programming commitments outside of Richards doing a 6am-10am show morning drive show.

With that said, I am sure TSN Radio will have additional homegrown talent, which at a minimum will be drawing on the resources of the current 'TEAM' stations to take their show national. But I think we do all expect some TSN on-air personalities to get some radio time as well.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The change came amidst rampant speculation that the incoming Rogers Media administration of Keith Pelley and Scott Moore was not content with Krystal’s show (Krystal was hired by Rogers Radio vice president Chuck McCoy and Kollins.). The edgy tone of Krystal’s show was a sharp contrast to the previous morning drive hosts Don Landry and Gord Stellick. With the looming threat of TSN Radio and its morning show host Mike Richards, it was thought a more sports-based personality was needed (Krystal’s background is largely news and current affairs).
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/fan-590-ends-the-andrew-krystal-experiment/article1902351/

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
CKLW has high ratings in Windsor, hovering between a 17 and 19 share over the past year - very high considering the sheer number of stations available there. I would see it more likely for CKWW 580, also owned by CTVgm to go to TSN Radio. They have an oldies format that is already available from WOMC across the river.

AM 1060 in Calgary had a 3.1 rating in the Fall 2010 ratings, compared with 10.0 at QR77. There is definitely room for growth for 1060. That said, I'm not sure Calgary can sustain two sports stations.
If ESPN goes to TSN what will The Fan carry? Fox Sports Radio was horrific.

Calgary could support 2 if the other station talked anything but hockey. That's all the Fan is.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It falls into the Fan thread, but to answer, they have 3 options I can think of...

#1 - Go back to Fox Sports Radio
#2 - Produce their own overnight programming, perhaps in conjunction with The Fan in Calgary
#3 - Revert to 'Fan Replay' of programming that was heard earlier in the day, which would probably consist of the 3 hour Prime Time Sports block.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tsn radio 1050:

Setting the benchmark for sports broadcasting in Canada since 1984, TSN, along with CTV Inc. and CHUM Radio, announced today that TSN RADIO 1050 will launch on Wednesday, April 13. Debuting just as the NHL and NBA Playoffs heat up, the highly-anticipated all-sports radio station will be available to sports fans in the Greater Toronto area on AM 1050 and nationally online at TSN.ca and on TSN MOBILE.

The next evolution of the TSN brand, TSN RADIO 1050 will feature best-in-class analysis from TSN’s sports experts and insiders and coverage of live sporting events such as Toronto Argonauts games during the 2011 CFL season. Headlining TSN RADIO 1050’s weekday programming lineup is the station’s marquee morning show, THE MIKE RICHARDS SHOW, with host Mike Richards.

TSN RADIO 1050 will broadcast from CTV’s historic Queen Street headquarters and TSN’s studios in Toronto.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It’s been rumoured for months, but CTV-owned TSN finally announced Thursday it will launch an all-sports radio station for the Toronto market on April 13.

TSN Radio 1050, which replaces all-news station CP24 Radio 1050 on the dial, will feature analysis from TSN’s sports experts and insiders as well as coverage of live sports.
Calgary radio personality Mike Richards will kick off weekday mornings with his eponymous show. Richards joins TSN from Rogers-owned FAN 960. TSN Radio will also broadcast exclusive ESPN programming including the Jim Rome Show and the Dan Patrick Show.

Competition between TSN and its largest all-sports media rival Rogers Sportsnet has been heating up in recent months with both sides locking up big-name talent
http://www.marketingmag.ca/news/media-news/ctv-confirms-tsn-radio-launching-april-22985

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Broadcaster TSN unveiled plans Thursday for a new sports radio station that's set to enter a competitive Toronto market this spring.

TSN Radio 1050 will make its debut April 13. It will compete against the FAN 590 and AM640.

The station will have exclusive rights to the CFL's Toronto Argonauts, the European soccer championship in 2012 and 2016, and golf's British Open and U.S. Open. Radio veteran Mike Richards will host the station's morning show.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tsn-to-debut-sports-radio-station-in-april/article1911903/
http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/business/article/776741--tsn-unveils-new-radio-station-for-toronto

21 - 40 of 143 Posts