1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
938 Posts
You have to hand it to TSN for releasing these special apps (Masters and Tradecentre). I know I used the Tradecentre app in class back in March over Wifi on the iPod touch, and the quality of the video stream was excellent! I am certain that the streams from Augusta will at least be of the same quality.

Kudos on another excellent (free) app.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I don't understand is why?

Why would TSN spend all the money to develop an app and spend the money to stream prime content without any return?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hugh:

My sense is that it does not cost that much money to develop an App for content that you already control. I also think that they are likely to repackage an App from ESPN and may not need spend much to change it for their needs. Why bother doing it at all? I suspect they are learning how to do it for now, but they will ultimately charge a small amount for viewing or sell ads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
bean is right. They're getting people accustomed to content, and then can later charge for the content, or serve ads and show usage to advertisers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Giving it away is never a good long term business model.

Even 99 cents would have said that it has value.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I don't think it would have sold a lot at .99 to be honest. The app is ok but in no way would I pay for it and I am a huge Masters fan. I do not think a ton of dev time went into the app so it was probably fairly cheap to produce.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quicksilver, you have validated my point. If its not even worth a buck then why bother? Why spend money developing a product that you give away?

Yeah its cool but I can't figure out the business model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts