Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the greatest moments in tennis history and TSN cuts off the celebrations!!! No wonder so many people have gray market dishes. We continually have to put up with this crap in Canada!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Did TSN/TSN2 ever show the rest of the match when play resumed from rain delay? Cause I now TSN is showing MNF.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TSN2 picked up the ESPN2 feed just as the players stepped back on the court.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So they showed the rest of the tennis match but cut away from the post-match festivites so that they could join the start of the late monday night football game?

Considering tennis wasn't suppose to be on today, then weather delayed tennis today and delayed the start of the early football game causing it not to be over in time for the start of the late game, sounds like they tried their best managing the hand they were dealt and trying to please everyone.

The ESPN2 feed was cutting away to the late monday night game as well and was pushing tennis to ESPN classic if had not completed since the early football game was not going to be over in time for the start of the late game so that likely had something to do with it too.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yea TSN2 just followed the ESPN2 feed, which went from tennis to Monday Night Football. TSN showed the interviews with Djokovic and Nadal, as well as the trophy ceremony.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Would it have hurt ESPN2 to wait another 5 minutes since there are local simulcasts in KC and SD anyways? Does anyone know if the trophy presentation actually continued on Classic? This thread should me renamed 'ESPN is run by a bunch of idiots'. The real mess would have happened if the match went a 5th set.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
People in the US are calling ESPN2 out for not sticking around, so one can assume that it didn't continue on Classic. I can't say for sure though.

Of course the Canadian mindset is that TSN is run by idiots and ESPN can do no wrong though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm not sure ESPN should take any flak for this either. Remember the only reason this match ended up on ESPN2 was cause CBS bailed on it with the rain delay. ESPN2 was just a backup plan in case the weather caused problems. Sure they could have stuck around a few more minutes but their priority obviously would be their NFL programming.

So if there is any blame it is Mother Nature(Sunday), Mother Nature(Monday), CBS affiliates(for preferring to show local news and syndicated programming instead), USTA(3 straight monday finals, time to get a retractable roof), Rogers(no related reason, its just fun to pile on them with their sportsnet none fiasco), Nadal(for not winning in straight sets).:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
People always tend to "blame Canada" and everything Canadian, always assuming things are greener on the other side.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wait a minute. They showed the actual game. What more can one expect for a re-scheduled event? Are the post-match celebrations THAT important, especially since a "live" telecast was just starting? And since it was an ESPN feed, how exactly is it TSN's fault? I'm sure TSN had contractual considerations for the NFL game.

Personally I wish they'd cut out all those inane interviews after matches anyway. They don't provide anything of interest, just the same boring old cliches.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm not sure ESPN should take any flak for this either.
I agree. If anything CBS should take the blame for choosing to air primetime encores of Big Bang Theory, HIMYM and Two and a Half Men over it.

The USTA does need a retractable roof too, this is just crazy that they have had 3 Monday finals. The US Open is getting rain delayed more than Wimbledon lately.

And yes ESPN2 had contractual obligations with the NFL to carry the start of San Diego-Kansas City if the 1st game ran past 10:15 ET, which it did. If the tennis ran past 10:15 then it would have went to ESPN Classic in the states, I have no clue what would have happened in Canada because I'm not sure if the same restrictions apply to TSN.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Remember the only reason this match ended up on ESPN2 was cause CBS bailed on it with the rain delay.
In the two previous years they did not bail. I think they're fed up with the USTA.

The USTA does need a retractable roof too, this is just crazy that they have had 3 Monday finals. The US Open is getting rain delayed more than Wimbledon lately.
I think Wimbledon has only used its roof once in two years. This year wind was a far greater problem for the US Open than rain. I thought it spoiled a couple of important matches.

It's lucky for the USTA that the match ended just before the 2nd NFL game. Imagine how embarrassing it would've been to have the men's final on ESPN 3 or Classic with so many who watched the previous two weeks unable to see the finale.

As to the presentation we saw pretty much all of it except Rafa walking around with the trophy for the fans to take pictures. Oh, and the woman who heads the USTA needs to be put out to pasture. Every year she makes an obnoxiously chauvinistic remark about the US Open being better than all the others. That's just low class.

·
Registered
580 Posts
TSN does that all the time with Formula 1: Cut off the end of Qualifying or the Race to show yet another repeat of the previous nights Sportcentre.
Plus they block SpeedTV's broadcast in Canada.

Pathetic.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
580 Posts
"It's called protecting the Canadian rights that they paid for. What's with all this continual bashing of Canadian channels? "

Okay , so they paid for the rights. Then broadcast the WHOLE programme!

TSN wouldn't cut from an overtime period in a hockey game to show a REPEAT of a DAY OLD Sportscentre show. So why do they continually do it
during an F1 race and p**s off the F1 fans.

I see nothing wrong with bashing the Canadian Media Cartel.They hold the Canadian Consumer hostage by offering little competition or choice.

·
Registered
995 Posts
TSN has cut off F1 qualifying, but they've usually moved the conclusion to TSN2. When have they cut off the end of an F1 race?
TSN does that all the time with Formula 1: Cut off the end of Qualifying or the Race to show yet another repeat of the previous nights Sportcentre.
Plus they block SpeedTV's broadcast in Canada.

Pathetic.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
580 Posts
They regularly cut off the post race interview.Surely they could cut a couple of minutes at the beginning of the Sportcentre re-broadcast.

·
Registered
379 Posts
While I agree there's no need to cut away from the post-race press conference just to show Sportscentre, the original issue here was cutting away (after the match was over, mind you) to show the start of a live event. And that is totally different. TSN would have been crucified if they'd stayed on to listen to Nadal et al drone on and the opening kick-off of the KC/SD game was returned for a touchdown.

Bottom line is you can't please everyone.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Cutting away from OT and cutting away from post-race coverage are not the same thing. TSN cuts away from hockey as soon as the game finishes to show highlights of the game you just watched too. If TSN cut away from the race during the final lap, then that would be the same thing as cutting away from OT of a hockey game.

I actually can't believe that people complain about TSN cutting of post-match/race interviews. Sure they are a nice feature, but an equal amount of people will complain that the interviews are pointless.

·
Registered
694 Posts
One of the greatest moments in tennis history and TSN cuts off the celebrations!!!
lol I doubt that very much, It was just the same as any other tennis ending, interview both players, present cheques/tropheys. Nothing great about that just typical protocol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts