Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
The complaint is not about paying for extra channels. It's about wasting bandwidth on four extra channels going 24/7 that frankly are only needed a few times a week if even that. I agree Sportsnet is no better.
If that is the case, why do you not make complaint about SN and its almost identical four channels? Or have you ever? They are even more bandwith waste than TSN and they have been there forever. In less than a week of their existence TSN 1,3,4,5 have shown more variance than SN 1,2,3,4.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
big
I mean Sportsnet doesn't just air the same thing on all 4 regionals, I've seen games that air on Sportsnet One also air on Sportsnet 360.
Yep I've seen Jays games on all 4 Sportsnet and either SportsNet One or on SN360. Cancon filler. :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Actually, the One/360 simulcasts do have a secondary purpose beyond filler. Due to its lineage/history, SN360 has more widespread carriage, especially on lower tiers, than SN1.

But also, I noticed that, for once, TSN hasn't been simsubbed on Bell TV at all this weekend. When TSN aired the Raonic game earlier, they used the world feed and didn't simulcast CBS for the unnecessary simsub. The same goes with one of the college football games going on right now; they didn't simsub ABC either.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
@Hercules: Actually I have complained about Sportsnet. As for TSN doing a better job I think they've deliberately picked their time to come on the air when a multi-match event like the US Open is being played. Let's wait a few months before judging them. I'm sceptical because there have been too many instances of new channels looking great when they start only to slide into endless repeats and filler programming once they settle in.

I think the point here is the model that all TV stations have adopted. NO DEAD AIR. That has led to 24/7 operations that before the 1980's were unheard of. Now every station has to fill 24 hours when in fact they only have enough programming for 6-8 hours at the most. For TSN that same philosophy says that they have to be always on. Why can't the extra channels be activated only when they have something different to show? They can be blank the rest of the time. I only need one channel to watch SportsCentre or Sportsnet Connected.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
They're really not using these as effectively as they could. Example is right now: TSN 1/3/4/5 are showing the CFL game. There's a programming note saying that if you want to see the US open match, go to TSN.ca.

Four channels showing the same game and they can't find room for that? What a waste of space.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess we can go back to the "good OLD days" when all you saw was a test pattern when the station was not broadcasting! lol

For me, I don't mind being able to watch Sportscentre at any hour of the day, rather than the very limited scheduled times or PVRing it.

With the advent of the 200 channel universe, all speciality channels have lots and lots of filler - usually programs previously aired on the main network, whether GLobal, CTV or CBC...AND all the 30 minute Info-commercials!

Sports channels are leaders of LIve telecasts and we should appreciate the events we are able to watch live at a very reasonable cost.... and don't worry about the fillers!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
@tridus: No brainer. Argos playing Hamilton in the traditional Labour Day match and in Hamilton's new stadium to boot. Now you know where TSN really thinks the ratings are. My program guide also shows the US Open on TSN2 by the way. That might mollify some of the tennis fans.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They're really not using these as effectively as they could. Example is right now: TSN 1/3/4/5 are showing the CFL game. There's a programming note saying that if you want to see the US open match, go to TSN.ca.
This was for a doubles match on an back court with no commentary, that's why it was on the website and not on TV.

As mentioned, CFL is now TSN's bread and butter, so of course they are going to show it on the four "regional" feeds so every single person (read: analogue/basic viewers) can see the games.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Stuff from ESPN being added to the TSN programming lineup in the coming days (date of debut listed)

Thursday September 4th on TSN1
7PM: NFL Insiders

Monday September 8th on TSN2
4PM: Highly Questionable
4:30: You Herd Me with Colin Cowherd

Monday September 8th on TSN3
4PM: College Football Live

Monday September 8th on TSN4
2PM: First Take
5:30PM: Outside the Lines

Tuesday September 9th on TSN3
3:30PM: Mike and Mike - NFL Rank
5PM: Olbermann

Friday September 12th on TSN2
2:30PM: The Inside Line (F1)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't dispute you, colinpeddle. Still, an episode of Olbermann's show was scheduled on TSN2 last week but was preempted by a baseball game that ran long. So, it doesn't appear TSN is entirely against it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I see that FX Canada has Hockey Night in Canada as part of their fall schedule on Saturday nights. Rogers trying to rake in more subscribers cash to help pay for the NHL contract.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I see that FX Canada has Hockey Night in Canada as part of their fall schedule on Saturday nights. Rogers trying to rake in more subscribers cash to help pay for the NHL contract.
In fairness to Bell, that has nothing to do with TSN expanding to 5 channels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some Nascar programming is showing up now: Cup practice and qualifying for the next two races (Richmond qualifying tape delayed till 11:30 pm est). It's a start.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I doubt we'll see Olbermann on TSN again.
Just to follow up on this, TSN has scheduled Olbermann's program for one of their channels. (Don't recall which one, though). The first is due to be shown Tuesday, September 9th. However ... it's only 30 minutes long. (Over the summer, when TSN randomly televised an episode here and there, it was a full hour. Surely they're not planning to truncate the show...!?)

The scheduling seems to be willy nilly and inconsistent. Looks like TSN might just be using it whenever there's a 30-minute hole in the daytime schedule.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Olbermann used to be on ESPN in the late evening slot and an hour in length. It has now moved to late afternoon and is only 30 minutes now. TSN is shortening the program.

221 - 240 of 243 Posts