Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
What sports? I'm still skeptical. TSN had two channels and most of the time the programming one of them wasn't live sports. They really didn't have enough content to make tsn2 worthwhile (except for the odd time they had over lap and needed to play a cfl game or the odd hockey game).

Now they've lost hockey (the most watched sport in Canada) and they're going to have content to fill 5 channels now? I doubt it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't be so skeptical Zod, I'm sure Canada is filled with Darts, Bowling, Poker and Billiards fans that will make Rogers rue the day they overpaid for hockey.

I'm verklempt that they didn't name TSN 5 "the Cinco", we could'a made the sequel to Dodgeball. :(

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Let's be honest. The main reason for TSN deciding to open up five channels is to enable them to show the lucrative regional hockey NHL games and take some of the sting out of losing the NHL National contract. The multiple soccer games and this week's unusual experiment with US Open tennis are more of an aberration than the norm. I think TSN will be hard pressed to find enough real sports programming throughout the week (Mon. - Fri.) to keep all five channels broadcasting unique programming at the same time. There just isn't enough material available.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don't forget, Bell's making like Sportsnet and setting up cameras at its TSN Radio stations for simulcasts.

With Team 1040/1410 finally flipping to TSN Radio soon, they now have at least one station for each one of their regions; Ottawa/Montreal (5), Toronto (4), Winnipeg (3), and Vancouver (1). That will provide sufficient afternoon/morning filler, and is cost-effective.

As reidw said, this is more about being regional.

·
Registered
636 Posts
unusual experiment with US Open tennis
How is it an unusual experiment exactly? They will be doing this (showing different feeds of the same event) going forward for all tennis majors, golf majors and curling events.

I think TSN will be hard pressed to find enough real sports programming throughout the week (Mon. - Fri.) to keep all five channels broadcasting unique programming at the same time
TSN have never stated they will have unique programming on all five channels 24/7.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
@ticky: Unusual may not be the right word. Perhaps new or innovative or experimental? I like the last choice myself. For this to become a standard practice for the originating companies (ESPN, NBC etc.) it presupposes that they are going to be able and willing to invest their resources in multiple feeds, cameras, equipment, staff and who knows what else. Big events like The Masters, US Open Golf can probably justify this level of coverage. However I kind of doubt if the idea will quickly spread beyond the top events.

Instead of going with five 24/7 operating feeds I think TSN would be better off if they were to allocate the feeds but only turn them on when they have programming different from the main TSN. Do we really need or want four channels showing SportsCentre at the same time e.g. late tonight? I'm on Bell Satellite and those five TSN HD channels are using up bandwidth. Recently Bell dropped CBS Sports as well as several other channels. Although they didn't say so specifically I'd bet the deletions were done to make room for the four new TSN services.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am so ticked with Shaw in Nanaimo as they do not have the new TSN channels yet and I am a huge tennis fan and am getting mostly the poor matches on the regular TSN. I believe Victoria already has them through Shaw and Telus has them but Shaw cannot tell me when Nanaimo will get them. Just great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I suppose Sportsnet does not show the same programming on all regional channels now? Blue Jays on every channel...And poker, darts and radio sportstalk are a mainstay of their daytime programming.

The Sportsnet national contract does nothing for me...In Alberta we have access to all 82 Oilers and Flames games AS BEFORE. BUT, it was nice to see different viewpoints and on-air personalities when their games were on TSN or CBC. In my opinion the TSN broadcast crew was far superior to Sportsnet. Having Kelly Hrudey as analyst on the Flames games takes some sting out of SPortsnet takeover....

I will be watching That's Hockey and That's Hockey 2 Nite to get decent analysis and the highlights every night on TSN. I don't have time to watch all other televised games.

TSN 5 channels has just begun. US College sports are just starting up, curling and NBA....

Come to think of it, nobody watches even their favorite channel 24-7. People pick and choose. I really don't care what is on TSN or Sportsnet when I am watching Amazing Race!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I think just about all of us would concede that TSN's concept will likely be at its best on the weekends when there is a lot of sports to watch. What I think we are concerned and sceptical about is the rest of the week. During that time we doubt that TSN will be able to offer four different sports events at the same time. An occasional big tennis tournament or curling bonspiel maybe but most of the time either no one is producing the content they would need or TSN doesn't have the rights to the event.

·
Registered
682 Posts
And while multiview coverage of those events is nice, the majority of ppl will simply watch the main feed following the choice action.

Yes, it would be neat to watch and ONLY watch the 18 at August all Sunday BUT, after a while you're going to want to see the rest of the course.

What will prove TSN3,4,5s worth is whether or not they begin showing a lot of varied content. European sports such as hurling, gaelic football, or even AFL from down under more frequently. ESPN+CBS+Fox Sports+NBC Sports have a lot of original content that we never see in Canada.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
@blackloz:
1. Their feeds are national already. If not for hockey there is nothing that makes them regional. e.g. All four tennis matches are seen wherever all the TSNs are offered.
2. There is not enough programming available to enable all five channels to be showing something different all the time unless TSN is willing to offer the audience a lot of filler material (darts, poker, billiards etc.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
reidw:
If you are not paying extra for TSN 3-5 why bother caring that national filler is on all channels when there are no live events? Sportsnets 4 regional channels, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360 are not exactly showing top notch events at all hours either. I only subscribe to SNW (included in package in ALberta) because SNE and SNP are an extra $2 per month on Telus.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The complaint is not about paying for extra channels. It's about wasting bandwidth on four extra channels going 24/7 that frankly are only needed a few times a week if even that. I agree Sportsnet is no better.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I would say so far TSN is better than Sportsnet when it comes to programming the 5 channels. I mean Sportsnet doesn't just air the same thing on all 4 regionals, I've seen games that air on Sportsnet One also air on Sportsnet 360. When has Sportsnet ever offered multi game coverage of a sporting tournament? This morning as an example, there were 3 EPL matches. This afternoon, 3 US Open Tennis feeds and 2x college games. Tomorrow there will be 5 feeds for US Open. I see a lot of comments about TSN will resort to showing Poker and Darts. That's what Sportsnet airs as filler.

201 - 220 of 243 Posts