Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/tsn-goes-on-the-offence-unveils-three-new-channels/article18479741/

The new channels will carry different editions of the sports broadcaster’s flagship evening news show for different time zones, along with programming that includes content from ESPN.
The three new channels – TSN is calling them “feeds,” – will allow the service to air numerous editions of Sportscentre, its nightly flagship sports news show, to serve different time zones. TSN says it will add more college sports programming from ESPN, as well as the U.S. channel’s news and other studio shows.

It is also promising simultaneous coverage of events with multiple matches, such as Grand Slam tennis, and expanded coverage of marquee events such as the FIFA World Cup.
TSN says the new channels will be available on all of the major cable lineups at launch time. But it did not immediately make clear whether subscribers would be asked to pay more for the additions.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I could just imagine what Bell Satellite is going to charge for 5 TSN Channels. How much of the programming is going to be repeats of programming already shown just at different times.

Hopefully this will eliminate TSN overflow problem when broadcasting live events.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How ridiculous, why not just expand to 3 channels and make one of them wall to wall Sportscentre freeing up multiple time slots on the other channels for actual sports

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here's my take away from the articles I've read on this.

They're doing essentially what Rogers has been doing for years with their Sportnet group of channels and having the ability to have different highlight packages specific to the region running on the individual channels.

TSN rarely has three conflicts, in fact, the rare time they do is this time of year when they have Raptors, NHL and MLB Sunday night baseball all airing on a sunday evening.

Without the NHL, maybe they'll start showing some of the Aussie Rules Football they've been holding for years now.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm hoping they will pick up some of the motor sports that were on Speed, we lack decent motor sport coverage in Canada.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hopefully they can now show the Canadian Grand Prix without us having to go to some obscure CTV channel. They can also show multiple EPL games.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TSN to launch new services

hello folks,

Just happened to notice that TSN plans to launch 3 new tv channels to help compete against Sportsnet

Link: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/tsn-plans-for-three-new-sports-channels-this-fall-1.1808471

TORONTO -- Canadian sports fans will soon have more options in their television lineup, with the launch of three new TSN channels this fall.
Bell Media announced plans on Tuesday for TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 starting this fall.
The additional channels will allow the broadcaster to air multiple versions of its SportsCentre news show for various time zones and give it more leeway in real-time coverage of live events, it said.

So really they'll just be separate feeds it like TSN2 or work in the same way.

Hopefully it won't have a significant bearing on the CRTC's let's talk tv platform, some of the topics being discussed is to eliminate genre protection and allow all non-Canadian channels in to the country.
Link:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/pick-and-pay-may-be-on-horizon-for-canadian-tv-viewers/article18192161/

With respect to the above if you look back at the last few CRTC submissions for channels like FUEL TV for instance ( now Fox Sports 2) was dissented by more than one commissioner seeking looser rules.

At least it seems to be getting the CRTC's attention, especially now that record numbers of people are accessing their shows via online streams to bypass the CRTC's regulations or who subscribe to multimedia streaming services and decide to cut off their cable altogether.

What do you guys think? Looking forward to the discussion :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
But it did not immediately make clear whether subscribers would be asked to pay more for the additions.
Good luck Bell!

Without hockey, TSN is no longer a sports channel that a majority of Canadians need therefore Bell needs to cut their price.

My guess is cable providers are going to negotiate hard in the next year or two to lower the cost of TSN and Bell will try to use these extra channels as an excuse to keep the price the same.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hopefully they can now show the Canadian Grand Prix without us having to go to some obscure CTV channel. They can also show multiple EPL games.
Canadian Grand Prix is always on TSN (not TSN2). In the rare event that Bell had three conflicts, they bumped the Grand Prix to CTV. Therefore, I do not understand your obscure remark. Do you mean that CTV is obscure?

·
Registered
858 Posts
But Veee wrote about the Canadian Grand Prix, not the U.S. Grand Prix. Canadian Grand Prix is always on TSN except for 2012 when it was on CTV because of conflict with Euro 2012.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Interesting?

Can someone provide me with a link to the CRTC stating they approved of these 3 channels? I don't seem to recall anywhere Bell applied to have 3 extra TSN Channels? I know they applied for TSN2 and got it, but TSN 3,4 & 5? where?

On a side note I know TSN recently side a deal to show Ottawa Sens, 67's & Ottawa Fury games I wonder if some of those will show up on one of these TSN Channels?

question?

If these 3 channels are 'suppose' to be "regional feeds" like Sportnet ones

then what are they suppost to represent each region?

TSN 3= ? like Sportnet Pacific? west Ontario East?
TSN 4=? " " " " " " " " "" " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " ?
TSN 5=? " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " ?

My take is they'll be included if you have TSN or TSN 2 in your given theme package?I would odf added TSN 6 to be even with Rogers?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Without hockey, TSN is no longer a sports channel that a majority of Canadians need therefore Bell needs to cut their price.
They may not have national NHL but they still have 26 Leafs games for Ontario region (Which has the biggest market in Canada); additionally they have regional Senators games in Eastern Ontario. The only night that TSN really loses is Wednesday night due to not having national games. They never had Saturday night to begin with and Sunday night hockey has never been a ratings success for TSN and I doubt it will be much better with Citytv/Sportsnet. Ironically, TSN will actually have more Leafs games next year than this year; they just wont be available nationally.

TSN has NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, pretty much all the bowl games and march madness, World Juniors, EPL, NBA (Including half the Raptors games), NBA Post season, NFL Football (Regular and post season), CFL Football, ESPN Sunday, Monday and Wednesday Night Baseball; Regional Leafs Games, Regional Habs games, Regional Senators games, Regional Jets games.

I get that NHL is the most valuable league but you have to look at the whole picture; the Leafs and the Habs are the only teams that really draw well nationally. Most of the marque games will still be on Saturday night and on CBC not Sportsnet. When you take the fact that TSN still has 26 Leafs games in the largest region in Canada and the fact that they have much more diverse programming; I still think TSN will be very competitive.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This would give TSN enough capacity (together with CTV+CTV2) to show the entire 1pm slate of NFL games. Hmmm
Bell have never cared to show the best NFL game on TV unlike Rogers which did so frequently so I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

As a Motorsports fan I often felt shafted when I couldn't get live coverage of Indycar back when TSN had rights to it. And to add insult to injury the replay was a condensed cut up version. :mad:

Last two years the US Grand Prix have conflicted with other live events. CTV2 in 2012, online TSN stream in 2013.

I hope we'll see more live Motorsports with the extra slots.

I can see the need for a 3rd channel, but a 4th and 5th? The most worrying thing for me is how much is it going to cost the consumer.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts