Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t find the TSN app in the fire tv App Store I know it’s on Apple TV as I have it on that device but does anyone know if it’s available on the Roku App Store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you can side load the mobile version but haven’t tried it. A friend of mine who doesn’t have cable or satellite wants to sub directly to TSN and he only uses a fire stick but does have a Roku that he used to use before buying the fire stick. He might be able to airplay it from his phone to the tv but not sure.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I know you can side load the mobile version but haven’t tried it. A friend of mine who doesn’t have cable or satellite wants to sub directly to TSN and he only uses a fire stick but does have a Roku that he used to use before buying the fire stick. He might be able to airplay it from his phone to the tv but not sure.

Has TSN confirmed they make the app available for Roku?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I can see but screen mirroring should work. It would appear that TSN is only available on Apple TV which is strange as TSN is the biggest name in sports in Canada. You’d think it would be available in all the app stores

·
Super Moderator
20,931 Posts
You’d think it would be available in all the app stores
The app stores usually take a big percentage of the monthly subscription right off the top. Since Bell supports Apple TV on just about every app, they probably negotiated a more reasonable deal in the early days.

General FAQ - TSN.ca lists the supported platforms including Samsung Smart TV, Apple TV, Xbox One, AirPlay and Chromecast. Edit: LG Smart TV added November 2022.

·
Registered
125 Posts
All of the Canadian broadcasters have been resisting doing business with Roku. I could understand it a few years ago when Roku was less known in Canada. i purchased mine in 2017 and I certainly did not expect that 5 years later Canadian broadcasters would still be holding out. No Rogers channels at all including Sportsnet , FX Canada, no CBC Gem, and no TSN. Even if Roku takes a substantial percentage of the ad revenue, it still makes more sense than to make nothing from this platform. As an aside I keep reading on NBA forms that the Sportsnet and TSN streams are really bad at the best of times for live games , which is ridiculous as both apps are owned by Cable companies.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Rogers is years behind in supporting streaming on any device apart from their own hardware. They typically have no apps and only support streaming on a couple of browsers. They shut down their Shomi streaming service almost 6 years ago before streaming became popular in Canada. The company seems to have little technical expertise in house and even less willingness to stick with products long enough to work out the issues and make them viable. Their Ignite TV seems to be following in the same old footsteps with overpriced hardware and limited third party hardware or software support. I doubt Comcast will be of much help as I doubt they have any interest in supporting Canadian streaming services.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rogers is years behind in supporting streaming on any device apart from their own hardware. They typically have no apps and only support streaming on a couple of browsers. They shut down their Shomi streaming service almost 6 years ago before streaming became popular in Canada. The company seems to have little technical expertise in house and even less willingness to stick with products long enough to work out the issues and make them viable. Their Ignite TV seems to be following in the same old footsteps with overpriced hardware and limited third party hardware or software support. I doubt Comcast will be of much help as I doubt they have any interest in supporting Canadian streaming services.
The software they're using already supports outside devices through Comcast. Shaw is already doing it as they support a whole bunch of devices including Firesticks. It is simply Rogers is trying to lock you down into equipment rentals but the software they have already has the functionality available to work on many devices but they've only elected to allow it via Chromecast.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I agree that Rogers seems unwilling or incapable of supporting new features. It takes a lot more than an app to support third party devices and Rogers is MIA with the backend support. They were no better with Digital TV.

·
Super Moderator
20,931 Posts
TSN announced the availability of the TSN app on LG Smart TVs. All LG Smart TV owners with models from 2018 and later can now access TSN on the TV's webOS platform by opening the TSN app using their remote or when available, by saying "TSN" into their LG Magic Remote.

Plus, customers that have purchased select models of LG televisions between November 4th and December 15th, 2022 can receive a 5-month voucher code from LG for new and returning TSN subscribers. See the TSN Press Release and lg-promos.com/TSN for more details.

·
Super Moderator
20,931 Posts
Roku, Inc. and Bell Media today announced the launch of TSN on Roku streaming players and Roku TV models, in a continued partnership with Bell Media. As the #1 TV streaming platform in Canada, Roku continues to expand its content library for Canadians across the country. Canadian Roku users will now have access to live and on demand programming from TSN. Starting today, Roku users can sign in to TSN on the Roku platform using their existing TSN login credentials, and new users can sign up directly via Roku Pay.

Note the phrase "continued partnership" in the TSN Press Release - sounds like more Bell Media services coming to Roku.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, it's a pain. I have to cast from the app to my Shield on the TV where there is no provider box as there is no "app" available. I could sideload but I don't trust a lot of the apk's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts