Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5G as it is currently being rolled out is not needed and provides very little that isn't currently done with 4G. It is a good development in that it is an incremental upgrade for new low frequency bands and the equipment that serves them. The full benefits of 5G will take some time to arrive and will happen when the 60GHz band is rolled out.
But 5G I 5G thought 5G you 5G needed 5G to 5G watch 5G hockey 5G games!

5G Press 5G Release: TSN and RDS Launch Immersive In-Game 5G Experience Letting Hockey Fans Control the Angle on Every Play - Bell Media

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
TSN and RDS have announced the launch of TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS, an exclusive in-app (iOS and Android) feature that leverages Bell 5G to offer fans exciting and interactive new ways to watch sports. Making its debut tonight on TSN and RDS’s regional coverage of the Montreal Canadiens’ game against the Vancouver Canucks, this innovative 5G-enabled technology lets fans control how they view every angle of the game on their smartphones, getting up close to every goal, pass, hit and penalty with zoom, pause, rewind and slow motion capabilities made possible with Bell’s superfast, high-capacity 5G mobile network.

In addition to the immersive mobile experience, the new 5G technology also allows viewers of the TSN and RDS broadcasts to get closer to the action, featuring views from never-before-seen camera angles during in-game commentary, analysis, replays, and post-game recaps.

Highlights of TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS include:
  • 5G View: a live interactive feature that enables users to see plays from various angles, rewind and re-watch a play, and zoom in at any time during a live game
  • 5G View on-demand highlights: experience the same immersive capabilities as the live interactive view with showcased highlights during the broadcast and post-game
TSN and RDS subscribers on the Bell 5G network with a 5G device can sign in to their TSN and RDS apps to check out the new technology live in action. TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS will expand to more sports events, teams and venues over time.

Leveraging these TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS capabilities during select Montreal Canadiens home game broadcasts on TSN and RDS, available in the team’s designated broadcast region (Québec, Atlantic Canada, and Eastern Ontario), analysts will bring viewers a never-before-seen perspective, zooming in and out and rotating around the action throughout the game and during intermissions.

Through the single largest technology effort of its kind, more than 80 time-slice cameras have been installed around the bowl of the arena in the Bell Centre as well as 1,500 metres of fibre, 96 dedicated servers and a specialized control centre to bring the technology to life on the Bell 5G network. TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS utilizes equipment and technology from 4DReplay.

TSN 5G View / Vision 5G RDS mobile viewing options are available exclusively to TSN and RDS app users (direct subscription or through a TV package) with a Bell Mobility 5G device when they download the latest app release. The feature is available at no additional charge though data charges may apply depending on a customer’s service plan.

For more, please visit TSN.ca/5Gview or RDS.ca/Vision5G. See the full press release for more details

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Is 5G really needed for that or is it just marketing hype to sell 5G products? I see a lot of 5G hype to increase revenue but not a lot that fills a real need. There are places where 60GHz 5G would be a benefit, such as serving thousands of fans simultaneously in a hockey arena. But then who wants to watch a phone at a live game? Using 5G on the new 600MHz band can improve range and building penetration but who currently has devices that could use these new bands?

People who have analyzed how 5G is being rolled out have concluded that 5G is an small upgrade but is available in so few areas and on bands that provide only limited improvements in service. In some cases, 4G was being passed off as 5G. Even where real 5G is rolled out, there are a limited number of 5G phones in use due to it's relatively recent integration into consumer products. By all means install 5G, especially for new bands and upgrades from 2G or 3G networks. Just don't use hyperbolic marketing hype and lies to promote it to people who don't need it.

I'll wait until there is significant reason before I spend thousands of dollars on 5G. I expect 5G service to be available here in several years. By then 5G will be a mature product, phones with 5G will be cheaper and have better implementations, and I will be in need of a new phone.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
Is 5G really needed for that or is it just marketing hype to sell 5G products?
Here's a summary of the TSN FAQ.

How much data will TSN 5G View use?
The average data consumption for TSN 5G View interactive features is about 75 MB/minute, compared to 15 MB/minute for regular video streaming.

Can I access TSN 5G View on Wi-Fi?
TSN 5G View works best on the Bell 5G mobile network, but is also accessible on a Wi-Fi network with adequate data speed and latency when sufficient 5G coverage is not available.

What are the requirements for using TSN 5G View on Wi-Fi?
You must have a 5G-capable phone from Bell and a TSN/RDS subscription. To access TSN 5G View from your Bell 5G phone on Wi-Fi you need a minimum 50 Mbps of Internet speed and a 5 GHz channel frequency.

Why is TSN 5G View unavailable over the LTE network?
TSN 5G View features use multiple camera feeds from the venue and only the 5G network offers the speed and latency required to provide a seamless experience. If you are watching TSN 5G View on the Bell 5G mobile network and you move into an LTE-only area, you may experience playback issues.

If you do not have 5G coverage or access to a sufficient Wi-Fi connection, you will not be able use the TSN 5G View interactive features. TSN subscribers can still watch the live game broadcast and TSN 5G View post game highlights from the TSN app.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A two hour game will use about 9GB. Better have a good data plan or get ready for a nasty bill.
Well, with network capacities so great under a merger, I’d expect prices for data to drop. They’d have to, to get us to actually use it.
Seriously - if half the country is bubbled off on their own devices immersing themselves in the game wherever they are on hockey night, that’s a pretty capable network.

57 - OT comment removed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well they sure hyped it up during the game, some what cool but something I would grow tired of after 10 minutes or so. In other words, its a no go for me.

57 - OT topic removed.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. No one in Canada is going to use 5G to watch hockey consuming nearly 5-6GB an hour when most data plans don't give you much more than 20-30GB uncapped speeds. Also, many people have Internet connections that well exceed 50MB. My home connection is a 250 MB connection with a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) router.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. No one in Canada is going to use 5G to watch hockey consuming nearly 5-6GB an hour when most data plans don't give you much more than 20-30GB uncapped speeds. Also, many people have Internet connections that well exceed 50MB. My home connection is a 250 MB connection with a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) router.
Many, but not most, and certainly not all. I know several people with 5 and 15 Mbps down and 1Mbps up, and this is within an hour of Toronto, because that’s all that’s available. That Rogers is pushing this indicates they want to build out their wireless network to offer an alternative to those potential customers. See the proposed Shaw-Rogers merger as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Well, with network capacities so great under a merger, I’d expect prices for data to drop.
I don't see wireless data prices going down anytime soon. 5G implementation is costing $billions. Also, acquisitions of other companies by the likes of Bell and Rogers cost $billions more. Due to speculation and premiums on share acquisition prices, most companies stock prices are overvalued at the current time and Rogers is overpaying for Shaw. That giant sucking sound you will hear when your wireless bill arrives is the sound of your hard earned wages being siphoned off to the bank accounts of the Shaw family and other wealthy stock holders.

Rogers-Shaw merger could mean higher prices for consumers, experts warn.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I'm not feeling this. I also do not watch hockey games on my phone, I prefer the Big screen experience for watching sports. I'll pass on this.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard so much marketing drivel in a single release before. For the amount of data it's using, it sounds like it's just firing every feed at you at the same time, regardless of which one you're actually viewing, so it uses boatloads of data that is largely wasted. That's not how a low latency network is supposed to work: the entire value of low latency is that it should be able to switch between them very quickly.

There's no real reason why this requires 5g at all except the marketing department is the one that wrote it. If anything, that they have to resort to this level of nonsense to push 5g shows how overhyped for users 5g really is.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
TSN announced that starting April 15, TSN subscribers on the Bell 5G network with a 5G device can sign in to their TSN app to take advantage of TSN 5G View during the network’s Toronto Maple Leafs regional home game broadcasts. New 5G mobile technology takes fans into the rink on their smartphones, rotating around the action supported by 80+ in-game cameras broadcast live within the TSN App. In addition to the immersive mobile experience, TSN is leveraging the new 5G capabilities for viewers of Toronto Maple Leafs home game broadcasts on TSN, available in the team’s designated broadcast region of Ontario (excluding the Ottawa Valley region).

TSN 5G View will continue to expand to more sports events, teams, and venues over time. See the press release for more details.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TSN announced that starting April 15, TSN subscribers on the Bell 5G network with a 5G device can sign in to their TSN app to take advantage of TSN 5G View during the network’s Toronto Maple Leafs regional home game broadcasts. New 5G mobile technology takes fans into the rink on their smartphones, rotating around the action supported by 80+ in-game cameras broadcast live within the TSN App. In addition to the immersive mobile experience, TSN is leveraging the new 5G capabilities for viewers of Toronto Maple Leafs home game broadcasts on TSN, available in the team’s designated broadcast region of Ontario (excluding the Ottawa Valley region).

TSN 5G View will continue to expand to more sports events, teams, and venues over time. See the press release for more details.
If I have a 5G device on Rogers would it still work? I can't imagine the Leafs would agree to make this Bell exclusive considering Rogers is the team telecommunications partner officially not Bell and Rogers also co-owns the team. I'd love to try this but my 5G device is a Rogers device and I wouldn't switch providers just to use this.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
It's a nice development for hockey fans but I question Bell's motives in making it available only to their own 5G customers. It reminds me of some recent rulings in the US and Canada where wireless carriers made data for their parent company's services free to their own customers but made other people pay. The practice, which is designed to discriminate against customers of other services, was ruled against and the carriers were ordered to stop. Activities like this are similar to net neutrality violations. Public airwaves are public property in Canada and Bell is merely using them with the permission of the federal government. Using them to discriminate against customers of other carriers is against the public interest.

·
Super Moderator
17,872 Posts
If I have a 5G device on Rogers would it still work? I can't imagine the Leafs would agree to make this Bell exclusive considering Rogers is the team telecommunications partner officially not Bell and Rogers also co-owns the team.
Both the initial press release and the Leafs press release say that the Bell 5G network is required. This feature is only available on the regional games. The Leafs sold the rights to TSN, so they don't get to micromanage the digital rights.

If you have a Rogers 5G phone, you could try it. There's a possibility it might work, particularly if your Wi-Fi meets the requirements. There probably isn't any technical reason why it wouldn't work, especially if the 5G phone is supported by both Rogers and Bell.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Has anyone on here actually tried it?

It's a nice development for hockey fans but I question Bell's motives in making it available only to their own 5G customers. It reminds me of some recent rulings in the US and Canada where wireless carriers made data for their parent company's services free to their own customers but made other people pay. The practice, which is designed to discriminate against customers of other services, was ruled against and the carriers were ordered to stop. Activities like this are similar to net neutrality violations. Public airwaves are public property in Canada and Bell is merely using them with the permission of the federal government. Using them to discriminate against customers of other carriers is against the public interest.
Their motives are to get you to subscribe to a Bell mobility plan and pay for lots of data. The CRTC already ruled on a similar service a few years ago: Rogers Gameplus. As long it's not primarily intended for TV it's allowed.

If I have a 5G device on Rogers would it still work? I can't imagine the Leafs would agree to make this Bell exclusive considering Rogers is the team telecommunications partner officially not Bell and Rogers also co-owns the team.
No way they'll allow it to work without a Bell plan. Bell owns the same % of the Leafs as Rogers and can do what they want with their half of the regional games.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A two hour game will use about 9GB. Better have a good data plan or get ready for a nasty bill.
Watch from home with unlimited data. But if we are watching at home, why watch it on the phone? If we are watching on the phone, not at home, why do we need all the features?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts