Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leaffan1967,

Ummmmm this is about REGIONAL broadcast rights. I am in Ontario, therefore, unless whoever owns the broadcast rights broadcasts the game nationally, I am screwed, because I am outside of Quebec. Comprenez?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
For the record the entire Maritimes are also part of their "regional" coverage area. Basically the Habs control everything east of Ontario except NL I believe. While this great for Habs fans I do wonder sometimes if such a large coverage area for one team is really fair to the other NHL teams and their fans.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
What was the deal with the English broadcast area when Quebec City had a team? Did they share all of eastern Canada or was there a split somewhere that Montreal acquired once the Nords relocated?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Leaffan1967,

Ummmmm this is about REGIONAL broadcast rights. I am in Ontario, therefore, unless whoever owns the broadcast rights broadcasts the game nationally, I am screwed, because I am outside of Quebec. Comprenez?
The Canadiens REGIONAL Englsh territory is Quebec, Atlantic Canada, and Parts of Eastern Ontario, which is almost identical to the Senators territory for Sportsnet East. TSN's promos for the games state this region. The page on their website which is at the start of this thread points all this out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
There were no English Habs broadcasts except for HNIC and TSN back then.

As fas as I know, the Habs and Nords shared Quebec like they do with the Senators now. I distinctly remember watching both teams on TQS in the early 90s.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Then subscribe to the NHLCI package and you can watch all 82 games in English, between HNIC, TSN Wednesday night and the out of market/TSN2 feed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
reidw posted
For the record the entire Maritimes are also part of their "regional" coverage area. Basically the Habs control everything east of Ontario except NL I believe. While this great for Habs fans I do wonder sometimes if such a large coverage area for one team is really fair to the other NHL teams and their fans.
The Senators share virtually the same territory as the Habs and NL is included.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Umm I like to be able to watch it in a language I understand.
I was talking about in English. The Habs have 28 games on CBC and 16 nationally on TSN for a total of 44 games on national TV. The Leafs have 40, the Sens have 30 and everyone else has 24. So, Habs fans shouldn't complain about the lack of games on national TV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then subscribe to the NHLCI package and you can watch all 82 games in English, between HNIC, TSN Wednesday night and the out of market/TSN2 feed.
Maybe I misunderstood something, but from what I have read about NHLCI, it does not sound like a guarantee that I would get all Habs game in English here in northern Ontario.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If there is an English feed available, it is available in the NHLCI package. So what that would have to mean is that TSN2 wouldn't be airing the game, and it would have to mean the team the Habs are playing would not have to be showing the game. Then and only then would the RDS feed be used. This hasn't happened once this season and only happened once or twice last year. For all intensive purposes every game is available in English.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The "get center ice" argument is just overkill! RDS already got all the Habs games but since I also pay for TSN I really like to get those extra games. For the simple reason that RDS is one if not THE worse sports broadcaster in Canada. Crappy game sound, stretched and pixilated HD, commentators and annalists who spent half the game talking about anything but the freaking game in front of them. In that case understanding French is a curse since if you don't it likely easier to just ignore their BS. And to top it all off they can't even afford an HD camera for the intermission!

RDS is not even a poor man's TSN they are a poor man's Sportsnet and that says a lot so yeah more Habs game on TSN is more than welcome! I watch RDS when nobody else has the Habs on but give me an HD alternative and I jump on it even if I have to hear Bob Cole or Pierre McGuire!

101 - 120 of 141 Posts