Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
But of course, ability to understand basic French is needed. For most people from Quebec, it is a non-issue.[/QUOTE]
RDS got all the Habs games but the game sound is crap and those of us who do speak French will tell you that you're not missing much! The hockey at RDS when it come to the descriptor and the analist is a step bellow what they use to have for the miniput 20 years ago! As a Quebecer I can't believe this is the best that we can do!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not holding my breath to see any of these games on Shaw Direct, Rogers, or Eastlink this season. TSN is likely asking way too much for the games. All of these providers offer RDS in HD for the diehard fans.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Instead of crying over getting TSN Habs channel, another alternative is to have RDS for video and for audio hook up CJAD from Montreal. You have Rick Moffat on the play by play (He is excellent) & Sergio Mommesso on color (he is ok although I preferred former Habs great Murray Wilson, he retired though). I can only see it as a win win situation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tried that on shaw direct but there was a delay between video & audio, I'm use to the french having grown up watching the games on SRC I enjoy seeing how many words I can pick up.
Maybe someone should create an interactive program in conjunction with RDS called "Learn French with Pierre Houde & the Habs":D

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
In Shaw Chat right now.

I asked why TSN-Habs is not on Centre Ice for Out Of Market viewers.

GoToAssist (19:43:27):
Your representative has arrived.

Joanne #6600 (19:43:57):
Hello, my name is Joanne. Welcome to Shaw Chat Support. I would be happy to assist you today.
(Please be advised that I can be assisting more than one customer at a time so there might be a delay in my response, please be patient.Thank you.)
Joanne #6600 (19:44:19):
I am not sure, but we can look into this for you. What is the first and last name, phone number, street address and city on the account please, then I can check your area.

Dan Sgambelluri (19:44:40):

Joanne #6600 (19:46:03):
Thank you. One moment please while I locate the account.
Joanne #6600 (19:47:37):
I have an answer for you, one moment
Joanne #6600 (19:51:29):
alright, those games are on the RDS channel. The reason for this is that RDS is a National channel and they own the rights to those games being broadcast. It is a French station and you may even get that channel. Just checking that now to see if you do for sure. Since they own the rights it can not be broadcast on NHL Centre Ice.
Joanne #6600 (19:52:18):
I believe it is 905

Dan Sgambelluri (19:52:23):
Interesting since I can view TSN-Habs on Game Center Live.

Joanne #6600 (19:52:40):
but not the NHL Centre Ice package
Joanne #6600 (19:52:51):
it is a legal thing
Joanne #6600 (19:54:45):
do you get that channel?

Dan Sgambelluri (19:54:57):
I have RDS and I am watching the game. I just wanted to know why TSN-Habs was not shown. Game Center Live also has blackouts for regional games including TSN the National Channel and CBC but TSN-Habs is shown. Also. If RDS is a National Channel, how come the Habs games that are on other networks in the US are shown?

Joanne #6600 (19:57:33):
one moment
Joanne #6600 (20:00:30):
it would be a Canadian versus US thing. Broadcast rights within Canada. Whereas the US doesn't follow the same rules.

Dan Sgambelluri (20:01:22):
No, I mean, if the game tonight was on Fox Sportsnet Ohio as well as RDS but not TSN-Habs, It would be on Centre Ice.
Dan Sgambelluri (20:01:50):
with the Fox Sportsnet Ohio feed

Joanne #6600 (20:02:34):
that is a us channel and not canadian
Joanne #6600 (20:03:06):
RDS owes the rights to those games.
Joanne #6600 (20:03:36):
Just like Sportsnet one is owned by Rogers and they own the Blue Jays.
Joanne #6600 (20:04:52):
sorry, not a hockey person Dan, but I am getting my information from those that have the answers.

Dan Sgambelluri (20:05:52):
That's is ok. I just want to know since it is screwy situation.

Joanne #6600 (20:06:38):
legal thing. If you googled that inquiry you may get a more detailed reason. I can try if you like to find some links for you.

Dan Sgambelluri (20:06:58):
that would be great.

Joanne #6600 (20:12:03):
not sure if true or not, but someone mentioned on a form for the Habs that http://www.rds.ca/ plays them online to watch. Can't seem to find much regarding this. One site was blocked from my access due to work denying me access.
Joanne #6600 (20:13:30):
You might be able to find more on it though yourself. Depends on the question you ask in the search bar. Or how you word it, to what you get for results. Still trying and nothing so far.
Joanne #6600 (20:13:45):
lot of links though

Dan Sgambelluri (20:14:27):
RDS does online but I can't read French to navigate to the , Gamecenter Live shows the game for TSN-Habs games for me but I rather watch it in HD on my Big Screen TV rather then my Computer Monitor.

Joanne #6600 (20:14:42):
true

Dan Sgambelluri (20:14:59):
navigate to the place to get the game on RDS,

Joanne #6600 (20:15:02):
small screens aren't very good compared with giant screens

Dan Sgambelluri (20:15:37):
yep

Joanne #6600 (20:16:43):
so many links.......

Dan Sgambelluri (20:17:19):
yep
Dan Sgambelluri (20:17:35):
I will search later
Dan Sgambelluri (20:17:40):
Thanks for the help.

Joanne #6600 (20:19:24):
you are very welcome
Joanne #6600 (20:19:39):
Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance. We are here in Chat Support from 7am (PST) to 10pm (PST) everyday.
Joanne #6600 (20:19:43):
bye and take care

Dan Sgambelluri (20:19:45):
bye

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm not holding my breath to see any of these games on Shaw Direct, Rogers, or Eastlink this season. TSN is likely asking way too much for the games. All of these providers offer RDS in HD for the diehard fans.
That is the thing I like to raise in hockey fora. The Canadiens are the only NHL team that have all of their games (except pre-season) available nationally without the need of extra package.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Maybe someone should create an interactive program in conjunction with RDS called "Learn French with Pierre Houde & the Habs":D
Years ago I suggested to the CBC that if Canada wanted its kids to be truly bilingual that this could be achieved if one period of the Sat. night CBC/SRC game (there was only one back then) including ads was broadcast in the other official language.

My argument was that it wouldn't take long before the kids and even many adults would begin to understand at least part of the broadcast in the other offiical language. What is wrong with Canadian bilingualism is not that we have two languages but that we have two linguistic solitudes. Our media uses either one or the other language not both. In a truly bilingual milieu our media would be switching back and forth between the two languages effortlessly. Our media and the three eastern NHL teams could be a major contributor to achieving this kind of linguistic unity.

BTW: I never received a reply.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any news on this deal being expanded to other providers because it look more and more like Bell seized exclusivity on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The NHL needs to make an exception to their broadcast rules for the Montreal Canadiens. I am an anglophone Montreal Canadiens fan and I find it frustrating that every team has an English broadcaster except for the Canadiens.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The NHL needs to make an exception to their broadcast rules for the Montreal Canadiens. I am an anglophone Montreal Canadiens fan and I find it frustrating that every team has an English broadcaster except for the Canadiens.
Ummm this thread is about the Habs finally SELLING English rights, the fact you don't get them is because your cable company won't pick up the channel... There is nothing the NHL can do about that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am getting very confused with the habs centre ice thing last week my guide said the habs game would air on centre ice but in spite of that it was blacked out, tonight the guide said it would be blacked out but the game is there on ch 460 using the Philly feed.

Is it really this hard to get the right guide info?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Interesting.

Monday's game that according to nhl.com schedule says RDS/TSN - Habs is listed in the Shaw NHL CI channel listing. Philly site says CSN-PH(HD) is showing the game.
Welcome to the new era of hockey broadcasting where not even the cable co or network know whats going on.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts