Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
It could also be that since this feed was only announced within a few days, even though some Satellite companies apparently have had tha TSN-ALT in the guide for a long time, Rogers might not have a method of picking it up as of yet. Until they can get the feed wherever they package the SSP, you won't see the TSN feed of habs games.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Davey, I agree. I live in Windsor and I can't get the game either. I know this is not a Bell TV or TSN issue, it's the damn NHL and their bull s*!t territory rules. I feel like the NHL is "big brother" to me as they make the decision as to which games I can watch on television and which ones I can't!

·
Registered
938 Posts
it all comes down to what type of rights were purchased by each network... TSN pays around $70mil and CBC pays $100mil to the LEAGUE for the packages of games they get.

The rights that the TEAMS sell to Sportsnet and TSN are local in nature, by lifting blackouts, they are taking away the value of the TSN and CBC packages, unless TSN/CBC/Sportsnet all make a big agreement TOGETHER to allow all games on all networks to be viewed nationwide, then you will continue to have this. The next round of bidding for NHL rights will be very interesting.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Its worth noting, as was done earlier, that TSN already works out an agreement with all the Canadian teams (not sure about CBC) to lift the blackout on regional Leaf games that TSN acquires and airs nationwide during the season (not all Leaf games, as some are assigned as national to TSN by the NHL, just the regional games). They could attempt to do the same with the Habs...

·
Registered
988 Posts
I wonder if now that TSN has a formal TSN-A HD feed we will begin to see CFL games blacked-out on the main TSN-HD channel. To date, depending on market, we have only had blackouts on TSN-SD channels with TSN-HD free of all blackouts.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
TSN has used the Blackout for CFL in the past when they have been told to enforce it but its been a long time. That is why they still air the disclaimer during the CFL advertisements saying Regional Blackouts may apply. With that said, the CFL recognizes that in most instances it is a disservice to the league and hasn't chosen to enforce the rule in recent memory.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wonder if now that TSN has a formal TSN-A HD feed we will begin to see CFL games blacked-out on the main TSN-HD channel. To date, depending on market, we have only had blackouts on TSN-SD channels with TSN-HD free of all blackouts.
My understanding is that technically TSN is incapable to black its HD program out for certain geographical location. That is why they can not black out CFL games in HD. Regarding TSN-Habs, it is a separate channel that is available locally, thus there is no black out process in play.

CMIIW

·
Registered
694 Posts
I can't belive this, it's a SHAME. Not only we can't have ESPN in Canada (to ''protect us from the dangerous americans''), so we are totally dependant of TSN to show us the Monday Night Football game, and now they cut it off ? Just like that ? After years of showing the MNF ? And we DON'T have ANY alternatives ?????? SHAME TSN !

I'm seriously pissed off. I want my MNF, i don't give a **** about hockey, bring me the NFL. I'm pissed off that i don't have the liberty to choose what i want to watch when i want.
This is Canada not the US, Hockey is #1 I'm afraid in Canada and it should be, if this was the US than the NFL would be #1, I'm A fan of the NFL and a fan of the NHL but I am also Canadian and I love hockey, Hockey should supersede the NFL in this country and if they preempt the so-called great MNF so be it. Most NFL games are boring and the major reason it is as popular as it is is because of the gambling aspect of it. There are other ways to see games besides TV anyway. Hey I watch the NFL so no flaming please lol.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You guys are talking about something that is a non-issue. The game was never supposed to air on the main TSN feed anywhere, including on Videotron in Montreal. It will be exclusively on an alternate digital feed that is much like Sportsnet Sens.

This shouldn't even be a discussion because TSN can't pre-empt MNF for other programming.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It could also be that since this feed was only announced within a few days, even though some Satellite companies apparently have had tha TSN-ALT in the guide for a long time, Rogers might not have a method of picking it up as of yet. Until they can get the feed wherever they package the SSP, you won't see the TSN feed of habs games.
I don't think Rogers in the maritimes actually has room for it, even if they want to carry it. Rogers in NB is way behind on HD channels and hasn't been able to add any for quite a while. Hell, we can't even get Sportsnet One in HD!

We might get the SD version of this, but that's it. It really would make more sense to just put the English audio on the SAP feed for RDS HD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Habs/Islanders not on in Ottawa Chnl 1402 HD or 402 SD

Not available in you area.....? The TSN website states that it would be available in Ottawa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TSN-HABS

I called and emailed Shaw satalite for info on carrying the TSN-HABS feed. They said in voice and email that I have the options of RDS or CI. They went on to say they hold the rights for RDS, and told them I don't speak french & don't want to pay for RDS or CI when I have all sports channels avaliable.

Seems they don't want to give anything for free. RDS used be avaliable for $1.99/ month or 0.25 per game. Now they put 2 channels together and charge $3.99/month. Now with other games on TSN and CBC, it is not worth the extra $ to listen in french.

I plainly asked if they were going to add it, not what you have with no reply since. I guess we can call Shaw direct and threaten the switch to Bell for this feature, and :rolleyes:maybe they will listen.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
And the CI option was a flat out lie, the game is not available in the Canadiens region on Centre Ice, since Centre Ice is for out of market games.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes. But you would get more than the 24 games. Personally if I was offered the deal that Eastlink is offering for RDS, I'd take it, but then again I understand French enough to get by.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The other good thing about RDS is that they have some NHL games that aren't on TSN or CBC, especially if the Habs and Sens both aren't playing on Saturday night (which is rare).

·
Registered
922 Posts
FWIW, all Canadien regular and post-season games are on RDS. And RDS is available in all BDU across Canada. So if one is a Hab fan, RDS is a must-have, even though one is an anglophone (like me). I would prefer Hab games in English be it in CBC, TSN or RSN-E, but RDS carries more Canadien games than all those channels combined.

But of course, ability to understand basic French is needed. For most people from Quebec, it is a non-issue.

61 - 80 of 141 Posts