Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Ya, not good. Current guide for TSN on Videotron for Monday night showing NFL Monday Night Countdown from 7 to 7:30. Hockey, NHL Phoenix vs. Montreal (where available) from 7:30 to 10. Football Giants vs. Dallas 10 to 11:30. LA vs. Minnesota NHL game on TSN2. Phoenix vs. Montreal on RDS as usual. So no MNF at the 8:30 ET scheduled starting time. Interesting how this will play out.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oh, yay. Big whoop.

The channel is not available on Videotron anyway. The English broadcast of the most popular sports team in Montreal is not carried by the largest BDU which also has monopoly in majority of apartment buildings.

:mad:

Once Bell is available where I am, or I move out of my apartment, I am out of Videotron.

By then, anybody interested in 3 Videotron boxes?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You sound sarcastic. I think that it is actually a big deal, especially for those who don't get RDS in their basic package (which people with Videotron do). I'm not a Habs fan, but I'd rather watch their games than most other teams.

I think that by Monday the game will be available on Shaw Direct, Videotron, Cogeco, Eastlink and maybe Rogers. All of them have to carry it for Centre Ice anyway, and we can assume TSN is offering the feed for free (its part of a TSN subscription), so there really isn't any reason for them not to pick it up.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am not being sarcastic. I am being frustrated. I am being frustrated with Videotron for not having enough choices for me to choose. Check the Videotron forum, I have my ranting got stickied there.

I am an Anglophone. Well, I am actually an Allophone but with heavy lean towards the English side. I am a Canadien fan. Whenever I get the chance, I always try to watch Canadiens in English - via CBC, TSN or RSN-E (when playing the Sens). Most of the time I watch them on RDS. Nothing is wrong with watching on RDS, it is just not my language of choice.

So the news that all Canadien games available in English is such a big news. However with the way Videotron treats its lineup, particularly HD in English, I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hercules130, you do realize that as it stands Videotron has the hockey game scheduled for Monday on TSN (channels 66/660)?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Great news at least if Shaw Direct carry it while I can watch it in French on RDS the game just sound like crap! I think they get the game sound off a cheap analog cellphone! With BCE owning a piece of the Habs and RDS/TSN we can expect CBC to lose every Habs game in the near future!

·
Registered
911 Posts
hercules130, you do realize that as it stands Videotron has the hockey game scheduled for Monday on TSN (channels 66/660)?
According to TV Guide, no. But then I check Videotron schedule, it is. You are right.

But does it not come at the expense of Monday Night Football? Oh, you wrote that one above. So my ranting stands. Videotroners now denied access to MNF while Bell airs MNF and les Canadiens en anglais.

I am quite surprised with this development. IIRC, The Score was the one pursuing Habs in English. They wanted to make it simple and cheap by using the feed from Habs' opponent. They did not get it since they were not (and still are not) available for majority of Quebec viewers (read: Videotron) in HD.

I guess TSN is much more powerful than The Score to make the deal.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
CBC won't lose Habs games. At the very least they get the ~25 on Saturdays automatically. They will probably be able to keep 2-3 weekday Habs games too. I don't think that TSN wants to get into producing too many Habs games locally because too many people watch on RDS anyway.

I am shocked that TSN is allowed to pre-empt Monday Night Football.

I think that TSN was able to make the deal for a few reasons. For one CTVGlobemedia has a good relationship with the Habs (with RDS having French rights). Plus TSN is available to most English-speaking hockey fans in Quebec and Atlantic Canada and they are willing to produce their own coverage.

·
Registered
384 Posts
CBC won't lose Habs games. At the very least they get the ~25 on Saturdays automatically. They will probably be able to keep 2-3 weekday Habs games too. I don't think that TSN wants to get into producing too many Habs games locally because too many people watch on RDS anyway.

I am shocked that TSN is allowed to pre-empt Monday Night Football.

I think that TSN was able to make the deal for a few reasons. For one CTVGlobemedia has a good relationship with the Habs (with RDS having French rights). Plus TSN is available to most English-speaking hockey fans in Quebec and Atlantic Canada and they are willing to produce their own coverage.
Just wait and see I don't expect the Molson to own the habs for more than a few years before BCE buy them out! When that happen TSN/RDS are going to get a sweetheart deal from the habs. The NHL might complain but I guess all BCE will have to do is write them a fat check to shut them off. Seriously why if you own a few sports channels and a hockey team would you sell the tv rights to the hockey team that you own to a competitor!

That also why Peladeau is behind the drive for Quebec city to get back into the NHL. Hockey is prime content to own in Canada. Hell that the only reason some of us still have cable/sat service! If it was not for hockey I probably would have gone off grid and full Internet a while ago! Unless the CBC can strike a deal with the NHL to court circuit my prediction I expect HNIC to really become Hockey Night In Toronto soon!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Well the reason would be that the NHL sells a set amount of Canadiens games as part of a national broadcast contract, so it would be outside of the Canadiens control. TSN can't just air Saturday night games, CBC owns exlcusive Canadian NHL rights on Saturday nights and can air whatever games they want.

Also, why are you so sure that Bell will buy the Habs? Molson just purchased the team again and they love owning them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oh, uh...

I just realized that next Friday 29 October the Montreal Canadiens will play at 19:00, the exact time as the Montreal Alouettes will play. My Videotron schedule shows that TSN will show the Als. Is this there any information in the contrary, that TSN on Videotron will air the Habs instead? Unlike most of Montrealers I prefer the Als over the Habs and the Habs are available on RDS anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see from earlier posts that Sportsnet East showed these games in past, but was this every year? or did this relationship end years ago? (If so, who aired them otherwise?)

When RDS broadcasted a game before, was there no english alternate option? If not, didn't this upset half of their audience?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I would think that CFL's contract with TSN would force TSN to give the Als priority in their home market.

Sportsnet East last showed games back around 2002. They only did for a couple seasons. Before that TSN had them for a few years.

I wouldn't say that the lack of English games upset half of the Habs audience, maybe a quarter at the most. Many Habs fans are Francophone or Bilingual. Plus there has been English radio coverage, so anyone in the Montreal area could just mute the TV and listen to the radio feed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have quite a few anglophone friends who are diehard habs fans and happily pony up every month for RDS. Now that most of these games will be available in English on TSN, I wonder if these guys will stop subscribing to RDS? It doesn't seem like good business for TSN/RDS to me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have quite a few anglophone friends who are diehard habs fans and happily pony up every month for RDS. Now that most of these games will be available in English on TSN, I wonder if these guys will stop subscribing to RDS? It doesn't seem like good business for TSN/RDS to me.
You know what? This is exactly what is happening to me. The only reason I am subscribing to RDS is for Canadien games. I want to see how things go with TSN-Habs and later I may drop RDS for something else in my a la carte.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The message I got from eastlink was "we don't know" it is listed for centre ice ch 461 I asked if they would replace Monday Night Football with Habs game again "we don't know" what about tsn alt "we don't know"

How about someone at tsn or eastlink find out & let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't belive this, it's a SHAME. Not only we can't have ESPN in Canada (to ''protect us from the dangerous americans''), so we are totally dependant of TSN to show us the Monday Night Football game, and now they cut it off ? Just like that ? After years of showing the MNF ? And we DON'T have ANY alternatives ?????? SHAME TSN !

I'm seriously pissed off. I want my MNF, i don't give a **** about hockey, bring me the NFL. I'm pissed off that i don't have the liberty to choose what i want to watch when i want.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts