Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but couldn't find anything relevant to this. Apologies if this is a repeat question.

I have an HP17-by0008ca laptop. I have two Dell Monitors. One is an older model, one was purchased within the last year. The older model does run on HDMI, and the other one does as well, however my laptop only has one HDMI port. The best configuration I have been able to come up with is the older model goes directly into HDMI port, and the newer one uses a USB to HDMI adapter. This is then required to be in a USB 3.0 port. In the other ports the monitor reports no signal.

With the recent atmosphere, my wife has been working from home, and her work computer has a dearth of ports, but it does have a USB C port, so we acquired an 8-in-1 hub to allow her to plug in all the peripherals, and it is working quite well for her.

So I figured I might as well try to use the hub if I can, and the newer monitor sometimes gets a little touchy. I should note here that a couple of months ago, I dropped the laptop, and while it operates fine, the lower casing does have some cracks and gets misaligned when the monitor is opened/closed, and this could be causing an issue. However, as there is no USB C port on this computer, I got an adapter. But when I plug in the new monitor, it reads no signal. Searching online gives a number of USB C to USB 3.0 adapter ideas, but nothing the other way around.

If anyone has any information or ideas, I would be grateful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Many USB type C ports support different protocols, called Alternate Modes, such as DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3, to provide features such as video or high performance peripheral devices.

A monitor is not using USB internally to get the video signal. It is using DisplayPort. Many will also provide a USB hub with this connection.

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do with a USB type A to USB type C adapter. You would need a more complete adapter that takes both HDMI and USB type A, and I don’t think that would work in your case.

Ed7789
Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I was afraid of that answer, but thank you. I appreciate it. Luckily I'm not out of luck, just not optimized....

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I'm working from home for the next 3 weeks, I bought this Docking station for $25 used, I could have bought a USB type C to HDMI adaptor for the same price, but the dock does the job and has 4 more usb ports, and has additional ports and i dont have to constantly plug in and disconnect monitor, mice, hdmi, keyboard, printer cables etc causing ware and tear

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
if your computer has Usb C it must have the Display Port logo next to the USB-C connector for it to connect to an external monitor, otherwise its just a USB-C port for usb accessories and crap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts