Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no traffic over the WAN. Just the LAN.

When I reboot the Dlink NAS DNS-323 the traffic stops momentarily.
When I reboot my netbook the traffic stops momentarily.
I turned off the iTunes service on the DNS-323. Something is still causing an 800kbps 24/7 data stream and I can't figure out what.

Could the SMB share on the NAS cause this much traffic? Netstat reports this.

TCP EEEPC:1232 dlink:microsoft-ds TIME_WAIT
TCP EEEPC:1256 dlink:microsoft-ds TIME_WAIT
TCP EEEPC:1258 dlink:microsoft-ds TIME_WAIT
TCP EEEPC:1265 dlink:microsoft-ds TIME_WAIT
TCP EEEPC:1277 dlink:microsoft-ds ESTABLISHED

I have been fiddling with iTunes and WMP to organize a large MP3 collection on the NAS. If a process got orphaned (iTunes did lock upon me) I would have thought a reboot would have fixed it. But the 800kbps chatter returns almost immediately upon reboot.

Anyone have any suggestions?

· Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using my finely honed goggling skills :) I figured it out. It was my printer that is connected to the DNS-323. I killed the print service and the network traffic dropped to nothing. OK off for another drink before I enter 2011.

But you are right iTunes and WMP can snoop and organize your music collection for you. Normally it only occurs when the apps are running.

· Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Wireshark tip. In my case my Tomato router provided me with Real time graphs of usage. I could see it at the router level. I just could not determine which device (DSi, Wii, Apple TV, WDTV, NAS, printer, Slingbox, PC or netbook was responsible.

I still don't know why the netbook was talking to the printer via USB (which is connected to the NAS).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.