Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Determined to find and to bring to justice the man who killed her father, a young woman in the Old West sets off into "Indian territory" with the honourable, alcoholic marshall she hired and the dutiful Texas Ranger who, for his own reasons, is equally determined to find the same man.

I caught this movie recently at the cinema. Although it is deliberately-paced and very dialogue-heavy (with period English that is often awkward- and formal-sounding), the simple, straightforward story moves along well and, overall, is quite satisfying. Solid performances by the three main leads: Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon and, most notably, Jeff Bridges.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The girl was amazing in her performance, going up alongside Jeff Bridges and being his equal in acting.

I thought this movie was really good; the only off-putting thing for me was some of the Screenwriting101 devices, like Chekhov's gun (not literally, of course). But overall, it was a really good Coen brothers movie, meaning it's an extremely good movie. 8.8/10

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find it hard to imagine anyone but John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, but I'll probably go see it anyway, Jeff Bridges is a great actor.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah, another really solid thumbs up from me. I don't buy too many blu-rays, but I will for this one. Favorite line, when the Matt damon character, poking fun at Rooster, says, "...That is to say, your eye!" and gets so pleased looking with his put down. Great acting all around.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I liked Roger Ebert's comment comparing this version with the John Wayne iteration:
In the Coen Brothers' “True Grit,” Jeff Bridges is not playing the John Wayne role. He's playing the Jeff Bridges role — or, more properly, the role created in the enduring novel by Charles Portis, much of whose original dialogue can be heard in this film. Bridges doesn't have the archetypal stature of the Duke. Few ever have. But he has here, I believe, an equal screen presence. We always knew we were looking at John Wayne in the original “True Grit” (1969). When we see Rooster Cogburn in this version, we're not thinking about Jeff Bridges.

Rooster might be an ornery gunslinger with an eye patch, but Wayne played him wearing a hairpiece and a corset. Jeff Bridges occupies the character like a homeless squatter.
Touché, Roger!

·
Banned
175 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this, although I will probably wait and just buy the BD. Love the original and look forward to the Coen's retelling.
The Duke vs The Dude?:cool: I think they both have their unique styles and I appreciate both and think each movie will stand on it's own. Although Matt Damon should clearly be better than Glen Campbell...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really enjoyed this in the theatre too. The entire cast was very good, and it should make for a good blu-ray.

Btw, for Roger Ebert fans, his new show begins next Friday night on PBS.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looking forward to the return of Eberts movie review show.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts