Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no shortage of drama at Twitter these days: Besides the CEO shuffles, there are secret board meetings, executive power struggles, a plethora of coaches and consultants, and disgruntled founders.

Just two years ago Twitter was the hottest thing on the web. But in the past year U.S. traffic at Twitter.com, the site users visit to read and broadcast 140-character messages, has leveled off. Nearly half the people who have Twitter accounts are no longer active on the network, according to an ExactTarget report from January 2011.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Absolutely no surprises there. Twitter is nothing more than an advertising RSS feed despite the industry's massive attempt to make it make seem like something else. It was only ever "the hottest thing" according to the industry itself.

You know what follows "levelling off"? Declines. Once it slides so far, the industry self-hype that created Twitter won't be enough to save it, and it will be uncool. Uncool leads to brain drain, which leads to an investment vacuum and that'll be all she wrote. In a word, #losing.

·
Banned
310 Posts
But in the past year U.S. traffic at Twitter.com, the site users visit to read and broadcast 140-character messages, has leveled off. Nearly half the people who have Twitter accounts are no longer active on the network, according to an ExactTarget report from January 2011.
Smartphone access to twitter is what's levelling off traffic to their website. I use it to follow news and sports feeds and even follow a local radar and traffic notification feed for where I live from my Blackberry. People are seriously confused on the purpose of it now. It's not just for incoherent ramblings of anonymous or famous people. It's way better than RSS feeds and it's virtually replaced that medium except for hardcore RSS folks who can't accept the change. Obviously 99semaj has a serious hate on for Twitter but I can only assume he doesn't even really know what it's for.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I use Twitter but to say it's better than RSS feeds shows you "don't really know" what they're for. It's 140 character limit it's utterly useless for transmitting in-depth content. Using Google Reader and mobile apps that tie into it I can go through the actual content of many, many blogs fairly quickly. Also, my browser home page on Netvibes is composed entirely of RSS feeds - something Twitter can't do.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I still use my Twitter all the time. I use it to follow the people I'm subscribed to on YouTube, and a few celebrities. But if I never had a YouTube account, or deleted my Facebook in the summer, I probably wouldn't have gotten Twitter.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I find it odd that the authors seem to mention the decline (or levelling off) at twitter.com, but don't bother to comment on the amount of actual twitter traffic, which I would suggest continues to grow. I use twitter quite a bit, but never, EVER at twitter.com - it's either the twitter app on my computer or iPhone/iPad, and I'm sure most (at least many) users are the same.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I too have switched to twitter on my smartphone, and use it there all the time. It's great how it's integrated via the timescape feature on my phone as well!

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I rarely log onto my twitter account but my phone is fed SMS messages hourly. Great way to keep in touch with the world when PC isn't nearby, especially when out of the country.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if twitter is on the decline. twitter should have took the multi billion dollar offer from google and sold it. considering twitter currently does not have any sustainable business model and now is only flirting with ways to monatize the service

Since google is swimming in search add revenue, they seem to like to by dogs like twitter and youtube that make them no money and why not buy them if your sitting with billions of dollars on your balance sheet google buying twitter would help them combat facebook goals of total domination of the internet .

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well, further to the point of those who responded as actually using twitter, if customers are not using the website, and are only using either SMS or the plethora of third party clients over which Twitter has no control, then they are screwed.

If you can't sell ads on the web page, and if you can't sell ads on smartphone clients, the only way to monetize it is to charge access to either the users or the content providers.

Neither of which sounds very palatable to me. Doesnt sound like anyone really thought this through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts