Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Speeds are good; 14mbps or more but the range is really limited. I just tried the new location at Amici Italian Grill and I had to park directly in front of the doors to get a signal that would connect. This was similar to yesterday's trial at Hudson's South. I had great signal while inside that building but anything more than about 30' away on the outside, you would lose the signal.

I guess these 'trial' locations are just that. It would seem they are there just to 'try' out the concept. I don't see anywhere near as much purpose to have a low power access point right next to a big grocery store, Sobeys in the case of Amici's location, as I would get far more benefit if it was in Sobeys. I am there several times a week whereas I am only at the restaurant once every few months. If the signal was strong enough for it to cover over to Sobeys then they would have something.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Initially, you have to 'log on' twice. Once to the network, using the instructions on the wifi trial webpage and then again with your Shaw email account and password. Once you have done it successfully at the first location, you should be automatically connected at subsequent locations as reported here. It is really nice not to have to go through all the steps each time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone who participated in the WiFi Trial!

We recieved over 130 surveys and tons of useful suggestions and feedback.
We really appreciate everyone's participation and have provided all the results to the WiFi product and engineering teams.

From all the survey submission we did a random draw to award the iPad 2 and the winner is... drum roll please.... Extreme! :p

Congratulations to Extreme and a big thanks to everyone who took the time to try out the WiFi and provide feedback!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks to all who helped out and entered the draw.

Congrats to Extreme.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just finished all the paper work.

Just want to say thanks to Hugh and Shaw for setting this all up.

The WiFi service will be great once the roll out is more wide spread.

Thanks Again

Ken

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats Extreme!

As I live in Victoria I could not try a Shaw WiFi hotspot in advance of the contest closing date, it would have been nice to have a shot at the iPad!

Anyway, the reason for my post, I am in Edmonton for the week and purposely sought out the Millbourne Market Mall location just to give it a try, truely impressive!

I did a secure sign in and was able to notch just shy of a 35 Mbps download speed... very cool and much faster then my hotel which serves up a measly 1.2 Mbps, and they call it High Speed Internet! :rolleyes:

Props to Shaw for trying this out, I hope you get some soon in Victoria/Saanich!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.